Hey mack, I see that you've got the Electocompanient EMC-1 as well. It looks enourmous!!! Btw, how's the on board DAC compared to the benchmark? I've decided to drop the thought of a computer setup and will be aiming for that player. Seems like a really really good buy. The price isn't say SKY HIGH or what as compared to the NAIM players. So tell me, does it sound vinyl like? I've read reviews about them and quite a few people commented about that. If that is true, I'll love it even more!

Hi Razer,

Suggest you bring your amp and HPs to tour the Adelphi for audition. Maybe you want to try the Marantz SA15 SACD Player or Marantz SA11 SACD Player?

Hey mack, I see that you've got the Electocompanient EMC-1 as well. It looks enourmous!!! Btw, how's the on board DAC compared to the benchmark? I've decided to drop the thought of a computer setup and will be aiming for that player. Seems like a really really good buy. The price isn't say SKY HIGH or what as compared to the NAIM players. So tell me, does it sound vinyl like? I've read reviews about them and quite a few people commented about that. If that is true, I'll love it even more!

It's huge and heavy (more than 20Kgs in all). There are 4 dedicated power supplies; display, digital stage, analogue stage and finally, transport mechanism. This is one player you won't hear digital glare as it's so analogue sounding. I'm an avid LP lover and I can safely attest to it. In addition, it has very high resolution (even at 24/96) and as such, you can hear all details without the need to increase volume output.

Edited by Mackie

It's huge and heavy (more than 20Kgs in all). There are 4 dedicated power supplies; display, digital stage, analogue stage and finally, transport mechanism. This is one player you won't hear digital glare as it's so analogue sounding. I'm an avid LP lover and I can safely attest to it. In addition, it has very high resolution (even at 24/96) and as such, you can hear all details without the need to increase volume output.

Argh, I hate you....Making me going crazy over it.....ZZZZ......This hobby is getting expensive..... :bash: Btw, I love your speaker setup and stuff. Its really neat!

good post - i'm a hifi nut thinking about going into headphones. have a teac-based source, plus a whole load of stuff, but they fixed in my living room.

there's probably a few ways to set up a good system, the fun is to optimise it within a budget and lifestyle - hence my lurking around here.

the part that interests me is the lossless CD ripped into HDD - its essentially jitter free, unlike any but the best CD players - with memory prices plunging this is the way of the future - by skipping the middleman-medium which is the CD (or any other form), data-> DAC -> output will be the shortest, most faithful chain around.

I'm migrating to headphone setup and have been trying out some low cost solutions after buying a used HA-1A & 880.

PC based running FubarII usb dac & Foobar2K sounds quite musical except for some noise that appears as treble grain. I site my PC a meter away. Ferrite core to curtail noise screw up the dynamics somewhat. Frankly, more than good enough for me for casual listening while doing work on PC.

I borrowed a Japanese ICL Model2 tube dac (USD650) to try out and the sound is much cleaner and even more musical (high treble slightly muted though, but midrange is really liquid). Connected using a Straightwire digital i/c to a cheap Pioneer DVD. By the way, this dac looks terrible!

By the way, listening done using a HA-01 with rolled tubes (JJ, Mullard) and using silver i/c are hi-end power cord.

I'm still looking and have not settled on a source. was looking at the Stello DA100 but only concern about the noise. The FubarII sounds nice but it's a relatively lower res design and may be concealing a lot od nasty stuffs.