Hey guys, I've decided maybe its time to get a DAC or at least a decent source. Since my transport will be my computer, a DAC with USB would be great. If not, any other DAC would be find as well since I've got a player to act as the transport as well. Any suggestions for something that's under $2000 ? I've been looking at the Storm Digital 02 as well as the Benchmark DAC. Any other suggestions ? I would be happy if could find something that's cheap and good as we all know the difference between $500 stuffs and $2000 in the AUDIO world sometimes may not be too much of an improvement either. Price to Performance factor would be my top priority as of now for the DAC. I've also read about the ESI Dr.Amp in the thread posted by Top-Gun and it seems pretty cool. So any suggestions? I guess Mackie might have a good idea here?

Sorry razer, I'm totally a newbie in regard to pc ancillaries. With your implied budget, I would certainly recommend a new/used cd player with a solid transport and outboard DAC if the latter is really necessary. However, jitters and clock synchronization issues will have to be addressed if they are of different makes. This has been discussed in detail many moons ago. However, this may not be an issue with pc based systems. I really don't know.

Edited by Mackie

IMO Forget about using your computer as the transport. There are lots of things going on in a computer (like the hard drive spinning, power supply, the quality of the drive etc that make it less then ideal.

For a good transport get either the belt drive CEC or a TEAC transport. DAC is really up to you to choose as different ones offer different flavours. I personally prefer to get a CDP and not a transport + DAC combo to avoide things like jitter issues. There aew ways to rectify the jitter but they are expensive. I would opt for a compromise and get somthing like the CARY CDP-1, Esound ES-5, Spark CDP-17, Consonance (depending on budget) etc and hook it to you amp using excellent interconnects like the Kimber Select KS-1030 (or the balanced version if you ampo is a balanced design). I would also use good power cords for both the source and amp. The power socket would be a different one from that hooked to the computert as well.

You have some nice cans so do some justice to them.

Basically you need to start looking at the power supply as well and follow that chain to you headphones - ie power cords -> equipment -> interconnects -> headphone cables. Yes in hi-fi the difference between expensive and cheaper equipment is less apparent when the rest of the chain is of average quality - ie you should start hearing greater and greater differences as you go on the upgrade path.

I have been looking at the Eastsound ES-5 as well as the CARY CDP-1 and also thought of the issue of jitter and problems arising from using a transport + DAC combo. But my problem now is that lets say for $2000, would getting a DAC at that price range + a transport (not included in the $2000budget) offer a better solution than simply getting a used/new CDP at the $2000 mark? I'am very open to all possible suggestions but I'll like to look at the one that suits me the most. As for the interconnects, I'll be using the ZU gede cables that I have with me so its the least of my worries for now.

In my opinion, just get a one-box cd player. The transport-DAC solution was a "must-have" upgrade in the 90's as it was perceived such a setup would withstand the technological leaps in DAC; from 16-bit to 20 and 24 etc. However, jitter was not considered a serious problem to sound quality at that time. At the present day and age, jitters can be minimised or eradicated by a jitter box connected in between the transport and DAC. A good cdp within your budget would also have a relatively good transport, thus, leaving the door open if you wish to add a DAC. Whatever the options, it sure beats the pc as source unless you are on a shoe string budget.

Sounds good. So maybe I'll settle for a CD player. Btw, are there any players that I can get within this price range locally? Music by design carries the CARY players right? As for the Eastsound, I don't know any place in Singapore that carries them.

Eastsound you can buy directly from Cattylink in Hong Kong. Nobody in Singapore sells them. Last I heard 1 dealer in Singapore approached them but Eastsound was not interested. Go figure.

I know cattylink but was thinking of actually looking and testing the players before purchasing them which is one reason why I hoped someone in Singapore actually carries them...Guess I'll have to make another blind purchase... :D

I know cattylink but was thinking of actually looking and testing the players before purchasing them which is one reason why I hoped someone in Singapore actually carries them...Guess I'll have to make another blind purchase... :D

I know some people on echoloft bought the eastsound. perhaps if you asked them very nicely they can let you have a listen...

I've heard many CDPs and transport/DAC setups. Both options are viable. With a budget like $2k, you might as well stick with a CDP, maybe later you can consider the option of adding a DAC and use the CDP as a transport, so look for one which has this potential.

Rameish is right, forget about using the computer as a transport. You will not do justice to your headphones.

For CDPs, I find the belt driven CECs pretty good. Not reviewed by US press, but so what, they sound good. You can also use them as a transport later when you want to add a DAC.

Btw, I'am just curious, as in, lets say the budget has been largely increased, would people usually go for a high end CDP and use the on board DAC or go for lets say a high end transport like the Passlabs one and go for a high end DAC as well. I'am currently thinking of going for a set-up that can last me for quite some time and not something which is sort of like in the middle. I don't want to take the slow path of upgrading but rather get something better to prevent that. I hope you get what I mean. So tell me, in your opinion, what CDP's are available with a DAC that's at least if not better than that of the benchmark DAC-1 (we'll take this dac as a reference). Cause I've also been getting suggestions from people telling me to use the benchmark with a cheap and simple transport but obviously there's that jitter problem which will be left untackled.

You might want to do some legwork and audition some cd players or transports/dacs at the shops. The problem with trying to make a decision based on other's opinions,preferences, theories, reviews, hearsay etc is that you end up analysing until paralysing. Try some stuff out yourself and see what happens. Bring your headphones, amp, interconnects and some CDs along.

Edited by av98m

You might want to do some legwork and audition some cd players or transports/dacs at the shops. The problem with trying to make a decision based on other's opinions,preferences, theories, reviews, hearsay etc is that you end up analysing until paralysing. Try some stuff out yourself and see what happens. Bring your headphones, amp, interconnects and some CDs along.

This is what is happening to me right now...Especially headfi...Somehow, the more I look, the more expensive things get and its getting way out of budget. I was looking at the NAIM CD5x and its a whopping $5000USD..... :bash: The problem is when it comes to CD players and Sources, I've got absolutely no idea what's good and what's not. I find that looking for a source is difficult becuase its not a one time affair like headphones where you can listen and compare and then sell them off easily. Sources will stay with you and be sort of like the heart of your whole system, faithfully playing back and producing the high quality signals for your amp. I don't want to spend a chunk of money only to realise that player A at $4000 sounded just that little bit better than player B which was priced at $700.

With headphones, I beleive that anything up the $400 range would mostly involve changes and differences in the sound and flavors that each of them offers to you. Which is why I was willing to spend money and invest on them. However, sources aren't headphones, no one gets CD players one after another to hear different flavors. So what I'am saying is something that's good and simple and does the job without me having to worry about upgrading for some time.

I've seen the CARY CDP-1 and then I've again read reviews and comments on other players sounding just as good at a much lower price level. I've read the Wadia's, the Accuphases, Meriidien's, the Lin Sondek and Rega's and the list seems to go on and on. Then there were suggestions on getting a decent source like the CDP-1 and going for the Benchmark DAC-1 to complete the setup. This sort of leaves me puzzled. Where in the world can I find a bunch of similarly priced players in to test? I beleive that The Adelphi has a dozen over shops that offer me free auditioning but it also seems that many of the player's on display and for testing happen to be way over my budget.

Analysis led me to paralysis....I'am at a stage whereby I'am spoilt for choices and being the indecisive persson I am, it seems that it'll take me at least a few months to come to a final conclusion.

So how about that, I'll just make my way down to Music By Design and get the CARY CDP-1....Or should I order an Eastsound from cattylink ? :blink::mellow:

NAIM's are special. You got to try them but I think its sound is not for everyone. How about Cyrus, Linn or Roksan? There is always a Meridian waiting. :DD