Sign in to follow this  
afbug

Why you choose the Westone UM1 over the Etymotic ER6i?

Um1 over ER6i  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been observing that the UM1 seems to be more popular in these forums and HWZ. Everyone seem to buy them. Why? Is is because of all the reasons above or only one reason or another reason?

For auditioning and first impressions, the UM1 sure make a better impression. The ER6i require more time and practice to get the fit and sound right. The triflange don't help with its bass often. Its built quality seem cheaper and fragile but from my experience, its quite durable.

So why the ER6i is not popular? Or should I say, less people buy them? Any ER6i owners here? (Besides the guy I sold my pair to :P )

For UM1/ER6i owners only.

I prefer the sounds of the ER6i. But bought the the UM1 due to the better build, hard case that comes along, a more comfortable style of wearing, and most importantly the lowered price tag. If both were sold at the same price, i would have gotten the ER6i instead. Since i'v bought the UM1, i'v been thinking of upgrading. To maybe an E4c or UM2.

Edited by palestofwhite

I've been observing that the UM1 seems to be more popular in these forums and HWZ. Everyone seem to buy them. Why? Is is because of all the reasons above or only one reason or another reason?

For auditioning and first impressions, the UM1 sure make a better impression. The ER6i require more time and practice to get the fit and sound right. The triflange don't help with its bass often. Its built quality seem cheaper and fragile but from my experience, its quite durable.

So why the ER6i is not popular? Or should I say, less people buy them? Any ER6i owners here? (Besides the guy I sold my pair to :P )

For UM1/ER6i owners only.

choose westone for its

1) sound - very musical, soothing to the ears and pretty balanced...groovy, easy to enjoy the music

2) built - fantastic build quality, no worries abt wires being snapped

3) pdt design - most discreet earphones and most comfortable ones ...feels so natural in the ears...no discomfort

4) price - not the cheapest, but at its price, hard to beat

i prefer the sound of UM1, some others may prefer the ER6i...but i think both sound pretty similar...for all other reasons, UM1 has a much better package than ER6i

xllms

Edited by xllms

I've tried many other pairs out, albeit for only a while, and am glad to say I still like the ER6i's sound - for its clarity and thin but tight bass. I can't say much for the build quality though - always living in fear of the cable snapping.

(Only recently got a replacement for a spoilt pair - cable problem)

Next up, E4c, maybe.

Edited by radioactive28

I bought UM1 instead of ER6i due to it better sounding & bass(what my ear told me :P). I also like it build as well as it style of wearing. The only problem is the Y cord is too short.

how you guys place the wires behind ur back if u want to wear it behidn your head. Do you place the cables under ur shirt or something like that?

just leave it behind my back lor, like a plait liddat...:D

i'll shift it over my right arm+shoulder when i'm going to lean back on something (e.g. wall, sitting down, etc)

i always put the cables behind my shoulder / back. i feel it doesn't "pull" so much when you do that. i don't think you really need to put it thru ur shirt hehe. i've never tried that.

I chose the UM1 as I felt it had a better build quality, the cable seem more durable than the er6i and it was not as fragile as the er6i. The sound of the UM1 is more suitable for portable use since it has more bass,. Th comfort is also much better with the complys and lastly the price of the UM1 makes it a better value than th er6i.

I chose the UM1 as I felt it had a better build quality, the cable seem more durable than the er6i and it was not as fragile as the er6i. The sound of the UM1 is more suitable for portable use since it has more bass,. Th comfort is also much better with the complys and lastly the price of the UM1 makes it a better value than th er6i.

strangely i find the triflange-mod-into-biflange fits my ears better than any of the complys

^

It depends on your ears.

Personally, I prefer the comfort of the complys, but the sound on the bi flange is better for my ears as it won't be as muffled.

you're supposed to wear it behind your head what....

I prefer put the cable infront as I find putting the cable behind my head very troublesome. Just dun know y not comfortable putting behind my head, maybe personal preference :party:

I have mine with the cables infront. Having it from the back in a crowded bus is not a good idea. Besides having it infront lets me know if i'v got my wires caught up with something.

Please stay with the topic. So I got so many votes but so few replys. Or my choices are so good that no need to explain further. :P

So I gather that it is mainly ER6i's price and cable that puts people off. The black 6i looks much better and its price is approx the same as UM1 online.