Sign in to follow this  
kentgh

Finally got an IEM - The UM1

Today I went down with a fren to Stereo Electronics (1st time visit) wanted to get the ATH-CK7 as my PX200 died on me. I audited the CK7 and was recommended by the salesman there to give the UM1 a try and I was hooked by the sound.

I was using my iPod (192k AAC) to audit the IEMs and compare it with my stand-in headphone, which is the stock IEM from my SE walkman handphone. Here's how they compare.

The stock SE handphone IEM sucks big time. :ppth: The IEM is narrow sounding and the music sounds very compressed & veiled. Next is ATH-CK7, the music opens up immediately. The veil is removed and the soundstage is wide. The only drawback is that the bass sounds abit compress, like restricted. This is very good as compared to the stock IEM I'm using. I was about to decide on the ATH-CK7 when I was asked to give the UM1 a try. Wow! :DD the music opens up even more, wider soundstage and detailed highs. The bass doesn't sound compress anymore. My fren also have the same impression.

Now it is either ATH-CK7 or UM1, but UM1 is S$70 more than ATH-CK7. Then I remenber that there's a discount for fellow sgheadphone forumers but I did not printout my forum ID. No problem, at the payment counter I was given the discount by the other salesman (is it Aron) by saying the password 'sgheadphone' even though I do not have the printout. :P:D

Many thanks to Stereo Electronics for given me the discount and their great service. Thanks! I'm a very happy and satisfied customer! :))

Congrats!

I'm also using the UM1...

Luckily you didn't try the UM2....

I did and had to pull myself away from the UM2!!!

Thanks guys. The UM1 really sounds great! :D

Congrats!

I'm also using the UM1...

Luckily you didn't try the UM2....

I did and had to pull myself away from the UM2!!!

At least u dare to try. I don't even dare :P

Not everyone will be attracted by the UM2 sound, especially those who lean more towards the Etymotic sound signature kinda peeps, ala the treble-heads or the analytics.

On a 3rd Gen iPod as a test bed, its little wonder you'll find the CK7's bass to be weak :)

Guest joi-ful

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the CK7 has a slightly wider soundstage...

But nonetheless, I got the UM1 over the CK7 in the end as the UM1 seems to give me a lot more kick for most of my music over the CK7. Haha. Welcome to Team Westone!

*Please let me whine*

"I still prefer the Etys over my UM1..."

hahahha...i still like both of these...why complain when u can have both

xllms

' date='23 Jul 2006, 02:30 AM' post='70657']

...and out biggest enemy is the Shures E500s!!"

Cheers ;D

I beg to differ. For me, it is the UE10 pro... :innocent:

Guest joi-ful

Next time change it to universal fit IEMs. Haha. Hmmm, thinking of getting custom earmolds for my UM1, but seeing they cost almost the same as another pair of Um1.... err no thx