dongZ

any reviews for shure e500

For ppl who are interested in the E500..

The whole package includes the

1) E500 IEM

2) PTH device

3) 2 cables. (1 short & 1 long)

4) Standard Shure sleeves pack

5) Case

I haven't really played with the PTH device. I have to use it outdoors to really know how well it works. It's MUCH bigger than I thought. And also if you attach it to your earphones somehow it will 'pull' it down. I wld rather not carry it along, but some ppl may find it useful.

Listened to it for a while and I must say it's good! A big big improvement in sound over the E4c and E5c. Quite comfortable also, although I wld have preferred memory wires attached. I'm using it with the clear sleeves and isolation is good but not excellent. I'll need to try out the different sleeves and angles before I can find the best isolation. If you think the long cable is not enough, you can join the short cable to it too. I'm wondering if it's possible to get the DIY cable makers to make a 'male to female' plug cable to use with it. Soundwise I'll need more time to compare before I post more impressions. Will try to get some pics up soon.

Hope this lil info helps..

Pics as promised guys

Pic of the E500:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2213/dsc00075sa4.jpg

Pic of the underside of the left earphone:

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/7866/dsc00076ee7.jpg

Front of the PTH unit, the switch is a slider type, and a green light comes on when the unit is active. Slide the switch back to turn it off:

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/3882/dsc00080es1.jpg

The mic is seperate from the PTH unit itself, connected by a wire to the PTH unit, you can see it here:

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/4829/dsc00083qt4.jpg

The back of the PTH unit...to avoid pulling the E500s out of your ears with it's weight, it is meant to be clipped to your pocket. This way it doesnt tug on your earphones in your ears:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/4998/dsc00081sq7.jpg

Edited by blackreplica

u just made me more gian to lay my hands on this babe. omg.

u just made me more gian to lay my hands on this babe. omg.

The metal clip on the PTH just put me off. I prefer a plastic 'crocodile' style clip. I still waiting for replay.... :whistle: and mine to get here. :P

...I still waiting for replay.... :whistle: and mine to get here. :P

you bought a set?!?

haha must let me try k...take it as my payment for helping you...lol...

Not shipped yet......dunno what headroom is doing. :(

But! I heard replay's E500, E5 (he brought E4c but I din bother to compare it) and SM3 just now. Boy those E500 made me :drool: I tried them side by side with ER4P/S and E5 with various amps, my PCDP and Shuffle and I think the E500 is a little like a hybrid of the ER4's details and E5's soundstage and bass slam. Sonically, I think they're hard to fault except for ER4S lovers might find its treble less sparkly but they'll sure appreciate the extra bass slam and wider soundstage. Hear to believe! Can't wait for it to arrive. Actually if you own the E500, I think can sell the UM2 or ER4 liao. I do think that its a hybrid of both but it still dun have UM2's bass or surpass ER4S's details. Have to listen to it longer as I only tried it for about an hour or so.

The PTH is an unique thingy but I don't think I'll have any use for it. It was an interesting experience though. Westone still have the best cable and I think as the whole package, Westone is still more durable. E500's still have the Shure stiffness but I like its flexibiliy in a sense that you can use different lengths of extension or without the extension. Good feature for remote controls. The supplied case is another interesting one. Funnily shaped but I think its too big for the earphones alone but too small for the PTH.

The main unit plus the long extension is approx 1.3-1.4m. Its longer than Westone's 1.26 but shorter than ER4's 1.5m cable. If you like, I think can DIY an 2m one also can. :lol:

The SM3 is also imppressive. Smooth detailed sound plus bass boost and 75ohm impedence switch really made my ER4P take off. With the bass boost on, the E500 will match E5's bass, but still a bit less than UM2. I really wonder what the SM4 can do.

Edit:

E500 can be easily driven by a Shuffle and can go unamp but when amped, its really quite impressive.

Edited by afbug

afbug...

seems like both headroom and EPS ran out of stock for the e500...

but i do hope it will be soon....

cant wait to get my hands on the e500 :drool1:

afbug...

Thanks for the info. I think you'll like them esp with the SM3. :DD And its plug are all straight, might be easier for you to flick the switches. Unless your SM3 is the switchless version.

afbug...

Thanks for the info. I think you'll like them esp with the SM3. :DD And its plug are all straight, might be easier for you to flick the switches. Unless your SM3 is the switchless version.

Yr mean the E500's bass is lesser then E5C?

Yr mean the E500's bass is lesser then E5C?

Yes, less than E5, not too much less but enough to tell the difference. The good thing is that its bass is really deep. After I listen to the ER4S, I put on the E500 again and I look at the ER4 sadly, it really need Xin's bass boost to sound good. :whistle: The thing is, SM3's bass boost isn't too much, switch it on with the E500, it still sound very good and only match E5's bass quantity or thereabouts. With bass boost on, its still less than a UM2. I say all this based on my memory of lastnite's encounter with the E500. Wait for replay to reply or confirm. :beer:

My point of view is: E500 have enough bass. No need to EQ or bass boost. It just sound quite right even unamped.

Comfort is also very good but not as good as the Westone cos the E500's cable is a little stiff despite being thinner compared to the rest of the Shure line-up. The isolation I got using my own biflange is as good as UM1/2. When I was listening, I totally cannot hear replay talking, have to use the PTH. It is a very interesting gadget but I think its a noveity. Will get sick of it sooner or later. It works similar to your HP's headset while listening to MP3s. It will cut off the music but for this PTH, you have to slide the 'on' switch to enable the microphone. Sound is then piped to both earpieces but of cause, sound quality of those mics isn't too great but good enough to sound clear.

E5c definitely has more bass than the E500. The E500 has lesser bass but much tighter and more 'balanced'. Using the E5c and listening to the same songs, everything seems to be overwhelmed and blurred by the bass instead. When I use the E5c with my SM3 I can switch off the bass boost. Maybe the bass boost function will be much more utilised by owners of ER6 or ER4. I already felt the bass of E5c is too much for me, but afbug says UM2 has even more bass than E5c! I'll need to try it out myself to make a valid comparison.

Edited by replay

afbug...

im using the SM3 with the switches...cant wait for the e500 :DD

jmilo, intend to upgrade to SM4? :DD The more I think of it, I'm convienced that this earphone is worth the money. It improves on every higher end universal fit IEM out there. It will blow the E4/ER4P away; clearer than E5/UM2 but less bass and emotional impact; clearer than ER4P and almost as clear or matches the ER4S in clarity. Details, I think 4S have a slight edge in the upper frequencies but it will leave the 4P/S for dead in the bass department.

I think UE is just waiting for the E500 to come out, so they can get their hands on a pair and try to tune their new triple X-rated earphone to sound better. But still, their Super.fi design and cable don't appeal to me at all.

replay, you're not the first. Worth a try. :lol: But I really think a flexible cable and smaller plug is essential. This is what I call a partial recable. lol. But looks wise, no matter what cable you choose, it will probably be a mismatch.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showpost.ph...38&postcount=76

Edited by afbug