Sign in to follow this  
heady

T-amps

Hmm, maybe I should just go ahead and buy from diyparadise first. If not enough power than can think about another amp. Like this got more chance of fun right?

ok, if you sponsor me I am more than willing to join in the fun of trying various amps...:D

anyway, I don't mind trying the Charlize since it really saves me the trouble of doing everything from scratch. Building everything from scratch is fun but don't have the time these days, the soha was my last project....

maybe can also buy the toroids from MY and ship over together? What you think? and ckng, are you interested?

Toroids? Cheaper than here? Farnell got toroid about $28. Malaysia got cheaper toroids? Where? where? :D

Aiyah brother, sponsor you kopi can, anytime. Sponsor amp is a bit OTT out of my class. :lol:

Edited by heady

AMP1, AMP1b and AMP5 are essentially the same. AMP1b has the output relay and delayed turn-on I think. Both are SMD. AMP5 is through-hole and has the PSU on-board, saves having to build a separate board for the PCB. I think the differences between the SMD vs through-hole will be negligible.

When I was doing the AMP3, the small SMD components are not exactly that easy to work with, you need fine tweezers, stable hands, good lighting and good eyesight.

Regards

CK

Actually a good soldering iron will increase the performance of soldering SMD components. Once you solder >1000 SMD components, your skill will improve dramatically.

Hmm, maybe I should just go ahead and buy from diyparadise first. If not enough power than can think about another amp. Like this got more chance of fun right?

ok, if you sponsor me I am more than willing to join in the fun of trying various amps...:D

anyway, I don't mind trying the Charlize since it really saves me the trouble of doing everything from scratch. Building everything from scratch is fun but don't have the time these days, the soha was my last project....

maybe can also buy the toroids from MY and ship over together? What you think? and ckng, are you interested?

You talking about the Charlize or AMP5? I am more interested with the AMP5, the Charlize will probably be closer to the AMP3 which I already have.

Regards

CK

AMP1, AMP1b and AMP5 are essentially the same. AMP1b has the output relay and delayed turn-on I think. Both are SMD. AMP5 is through-hole and has the PSU on-board, saves having to build a separate board for the PCB. I think the differences between the SMD vs through-hole will be negligible.

When I was doing the AMP3, the small SMD components are not exactly that easy to work with, you need fine tweezers, stable hands, good lighting and good eyesight.

Regards

CK

Actually a good soldering iron will increase the performance of soldering SMD components. Once you solder >1000 SMD components, your skill will improve dramatically.

Very straining on the eye tho. SMD are meant to be soldered by machines. :P I do find a higher wattage iron makes things a little easier. Currently using a basic Antex 50W with temp control.

Regards

CK

I learn the best way to solder the tiny chips is to put a tiny bit of flux on each pad and legs of the chip and just touch the iron loaded with solder to each leg in turn. The surface tension alone will draw the solder between the leg and pad. No need for more solder.

I use a magnifying glass clip on to my spectacles, cost me $90 but old man so boh pian.

But I cannot say I enjoy soldering smt parts. Too tensed. So, I will probably try the Charlize first. Kross, you can listen to it after I case it then make up your mind. :)

BTW - have never seen a 50W Antex with temp control. How much is it, CK?

Edited by heady

heady, after consulting with yeo, i think the charlize does not have enough power to drive the bookshelves that i can planning to get. so i think i will go for the amp5 instead of charlize. at least it is through hole.

:-) then when u getting the charlize?

then ckng, you want to get the amp5 together?

Aw... :) What bookshelf speakers are you planning to get? Actually I am not sure the Charlize can drive my speakers either. But I have forgotten my speakers model and anyway, after 20 years, I am sure got no more documentation to find. Hmm, your post now make me want to wait and find out more before jumping in. Let me know when you are ordering and I will see which way I am blowing at the time... :blush: so maybe I will join you after all.

BTW - the Hypex stuff is EXPENSIVE! The amp range from 41Hz are cheaper.

Edited by heady

I learn the best way to solder the tiny chips is to put a tiny bit of flux on each pad and legs of the chip and just touch the iron loaded with solder to each leg in turn. The surface tension alone will draw the solder between the leg and pad. No need for more solder.

I use a magnifying glass clip on to my spectacles, cost me $90 but old man so boh pian.

But I cannot say I enjoy soldering smt parts. Too tensed. So, I will probably try the Charlize first. Kross, you can listen to it after I case it then make up your mind. :)

BTW - have never seen a 50W Antex with temp control. How much is it, CK?

The one I use is the Antext TCS230. Bought from Farnell for $130 odd.

IPB Image

I also bought a smaller tip together with it. One thing about the AMP3 is that it uses double-weight copper, so despite SMD components being small, you need a more powerful iron to do it properly. My other 18W Antex can't supply enough heat though it served me well for other projects including a META42 Headamp :)

then ckng, you want to get the amp5 together?

Sure. I think heady also wants one too right?

Regards

CK

Edited by ckng

Ok, I am not sure the Charlize can make it for my speakers, so I will bite with you folks. Do you want me to do the ordering, I got paypal.

Heady, i am still considering whether to buy the bookshelves or not. although at an entry level i think it'll set me back by $400. I am thinking of the Wharfedale diamond series. got comments on this?

so right now maybe get a power amp working first before commiting on the speakers. I am fine with the amp5 and am grateful if heady you can do the ordering. maybe you can double confirm with ckng again.

Re: the Diamonds, I have not heard them myself although it has had good reviews for a long time. There's even an active model, for studio use.

Re: the amp5, just add your name to this list and I will order on the 23 Aug, so all of us has time to re-consider:

1. heady - 1 board.

Re: the Diamonds, I have not heard them myself although it has had good reviews for a long time. There's even an active model, for studio use.

Re: the amp5, just add your name to this list and I will order on the 23 Aug, so all of us has time to re-consider:

1. heady - 1 board.

AMP5

1. heady - 1 board.

2. ckng - 1 board.

Regards

CK