Sign in to follow this  
heady

T-amps

Hi guys,

Any one of you know if this is a good amp to built?

http://www.41hz.com/

I am thinking of the amp5. Need to replace my power amps soon, more than 20 years old. Like the idea that it comes as a kit rather than just a pcb. And the price isn't too bad.

Edited by heady

Class T amp are basically improved version of class D amp. With an advantages of higher efficiency than class D.

BUT, you are recommend to use speaker with 4 and 8 ohm. Others will cause a dip or rise at the high frequency.

Hi guys,

Any one of you know if this is a good amp to built?

http://www.41hz.com/

I am thinking of the amp5. Need to replace my power amps soon, more than 20 years old. Like the idea that it comes as a kit rather than just a pcb. And the price isn't too bad.

I have bought and assembled their AMP3. The kit comes with the PCB and all the parts required, but you have to wind the toroids. The sound is amazingly good.

Regards

CK

Thanks for the replies. I also found a dealer, DIY Paradise, in MY selling his version, called Charlize. From what I see on the internet, it is said to be better sounding than most others in the same price range. However, they all have the same issue of being able to drive efficient speakers only.

I am thinking of supporting our MY brothers :) and since the amp comes already assembled and need to be have power supply plus casing only.

Edited by heady

Hi Heady and Ck, what coincidence..I was also looking at the T-amps these few days. :D. Also interested in the AMP5.. :)) How about ordering together huh??

kross, can, it is US$71 each and if we buy two sets, it becomes $20 more for insured shipping. So, US$81 each. If you want, I can do the purchase.

heady, I am ok with the price. I think ckng might also be interested in the amp5 but he has concerns on finding the appropriate toroidial transformer.

On the other hand, the Charlize from diyparadise looks promising also.. And the good thing is don't need to solder..lol

so how? Charlize?? or amp5?

kross, that's my question too. The Charlize got good reviews too but is less powerful. And I can get it at RM315 delivered in Malaysia. Got friend come to SG very often, so no problem.

According to the Charlize website, Yeo prefers to have the amp in smd parts because the sound is better, due to the switching noise. The amp5 is in thru-hole parts.

Why don't we think more before we make the jump?

Edited by heady

ya, maybe we should discuss more. i think amp1 is similar to amp5, just that some parts is smt. ya, amp5 seems to have more power output. but usually how much power do speakers need?

regarding the noise part i am not too sure though how smt reduces noise. due to smaller parts??

I don't know how smt parts reduce noise, maybe the circuit is smaller and so less likely to pick up the rf noise?

I have a pair of 100W monoblocs but I bought them cos they sounded good and in control, not because I needed the 100W. Also tube amps are usually very low powered but they go loud. And I have heard a JBL 25W amp which sounded quite nice.

Hmm, maybe I should just go ahead and buy from diyparadise first. If not enough power than can think about another amp. Like this got more chance of fun right?

Intend to do some school project for next year on amplifiers, and will start to read up... :b2t:

Anyway, I searched the forums, but don't know where diyparadise is. Is it a shop which has stocks for amplifier components?

Thanks, and sorry for breaking the trend of thought...

You can start small first with headphone amp. Speaker amp requires more knowledge and patience.

I like to join the bandwagon of getting the T-amp but I got lot's of class D amp lying around. Next time bah.

kross, that's my question too. The Charlize got good reviews too but is less powerful. And I can get it at RM315 delivered in Malaysia. Got friend come to SG very often, so no problem.

According to the Charlize website, Yeo prefers to have the amp in smd parts because the sound is better, due to the switching noise. The amp5 is in thru-hole parts.

Why don't we think more before we make the jump?

AMP1, AMP1b and AMP5 are essentially the same. AMP1b has the output relay and delayed turn-on I think. Both are SMD. AMP5 is through-hole and has the PSU on-board, saves having to build a separate board for the PCB. I think the differences between the SMD vs through-hole will be negligible.

When I was doing the AMP3, the small SMD components are not exactly that easy to work with, you need fine tweezers, stable hands, good lighting and good eyesight.

Regards

CK