Sign in to follow this  
norseman

Portable amps under $100?

I'm considering to get an amp for my um1s, but a cheaper one, since it'll be my first and I'm saving up for a pair of MS1s. :)) Are there any other good portable amps available in Jaben or SE that are under $100? I think LDM+ is going for $60? But its bass is a bit lean? Since you guys seem to like it, I might just get it. Are there any other worthy alternatives?

But DIY like damn hard to do leh. Saw the cmoy instructions, very the complicated since I'm business student, not engineering. :P Also dunno wher to get all the parts. I read here ppl think LDM+ same as the crossroad? Why can't find any impressions of the xenos? Not popular? Anyway, unlikely to order US ones, so poor... :verysad:

p.s. Eii... Top-Gun change yr nice Gundam head pic liao... Those ear-speakers also very nice! Tot they dun make them anymore? Forgot wat name liao.

Personally, I heard the LDM+ and Crossroads, and I must say that Crossroads offers a tighter bass, while the LDM+ provides more treble as compared to the Crossroads, but at the expense for a little lost in bass. For females vocals, LDM+ stands out more, but for rock, Crossroads are better.

Edited by Proton

Ya! Sorta thinking they are AKGs but dun wan embarrass meself. I listen to a lot of electronica, chill, DnB, rock... So I should get crossroads? Xenos don't seem popular here...

Ya! Sorta thinking they are AKGs but dun wan embarrass meself. I listen to a lot of electronica, chill, DnB, rock... So I should get crossroads? Xenos don't seem popular here...

Not popular doesn't mean not good, go and try for your yourself and let your ears be e judge.

I can tell u A is gd but tat doesn't mean tat its realli gd if u hear it, it is subjective.

Jaben has range of portable amps, go and listen. I myself feels tat Xenos' not bad.

I didnt mean tat following e crowd is not gd, it's juz tat u should try to judge for yourself.

Dun follow where e wind blows, haf a backbone.. Hope i dun sound too harsh.. hehe :D

Edited by Cocobean

Well, there was once a time when the Xenos amps were rather much a hot topic with the guys here (read: when they were first launched).

well, since I'm too much of a newbie, I tot better follow the footsteps of the experienced guys and then I'll have better understanding what they talking about...

Amp newbies unite! Including me... :P

I personally can't hear much difference amped or unamped... Well, may be due to being not used to the headphone in question DT880.

PS. What are you guys doing?!?!? National Day Rally is going on... I am leaving the forum for that. :P

Personally, I heard the LDM+ and Crossroads, and I must say that Crossroads offers a tighter bass, while the LDM+ provides more treble as compared to the Crossroads, but at the expense for a little lost in bass. For females vocals, LDM+ stands out more, but for rock, Crossroads are better.

agree... crossroad is more warmth as compare to LDM+ which is more details... Xenos seems lost of too much details for me to enjoy. the bass of Xenos make my im716 feel muddy.

used the LDM+ a few times with the Aurvana

it indeed does sound better in terms of treble

vocals are clearer but the bass is somehow soften

can't feel the punch as compared to direct connection to earphone out

but amping with Aurvana does bring the sound out

sigh.. wat a dilemma... crossroads amps are better in bass?

hmm... time to do damage again...

I guess that's why people rather make their own amps so that they know they can easilly change out the op-amp for another to change the characteristics of the amp.

Well, I have the following amps if you guys want to audition :))

1. Crossroads

2. Xenos REP

3. Xin Supermini ver 4

Stock and Cardas HPI interconnects. Can't really comment on the sound because everyone "hears" differently :P