Sign in to follow this  
kenshin_himura

portable players

I wonder did Mackie ever realise this:

Panasonic SL-CT720 has optical out. :doh:

Late reply....yes, I'm aware and also tried recording cds from the pannie pcdp to a sharp md player/recorder via a mini toslink optical cable. The noise floor is significantly lower via optical than analogue connection through the same optical/line-out jack.

Edited by Mackie

Guys, I need help.

I need a DAP. I want to buy iAudio X5L but heard got poor headphone jack issue and also it is very old already. Then I see the A2 but it is damn big and I am not into video. Can help me recommend one?

My requirements:

1) Hissless - I am very sensitive and cannot tolerate it.

2) FLAC - I need loseless. Using foobar2k to rip my CDs now

3) >30GB - Since I am using FLAC

4) Small - around size of Zen Vision, X5L

Now, I am using Westone UM2 and may get a portable amp later too.

I got a feeling that I have to compromise and buy the X5L but would like to hear from my Audio brothers first.

Guys, I need help.

I need a DAP. I want to buy iAudio X5L but heard got poor headphone jack issue and also it is very old already. Then I see the A2 but it is damn big and I am not into video. Can help me recommend one?

My requirements:

1) Hissless - I am very sensitive and cannot tolerate it.

2) FLAC - I need loseless. Using foobar2k to rip my CDs now

3) >30GB - Since I am using FLAC

4) Small - around size of Zen Vision, X5L

Now, I am using Westone UM2 and may get a portable amp later too.

I got a feeling that I have to compromise and buy the X5L but would like to hear from my Audio brothers first.

Old does not mean it's not good :P Thoough admittedly their design is less than inspiring :P

I have been using the X5L for a number of months with no issues. Battery life is outstanding. I get about 28+ hr playtime between charge (as opposed to the quoted 35hr playtime)

No issues with the headphone jack so far (touch wood), but I have been using 'phones with L shaped plugs as opposed to straight plugs. L shaped plugs put almost no stress on the headphone jack.

If you want to play around with different encoding formats, then the X5 is a no-brainer. It supports just about every major codec out there.

Using the UM2, it has absolutely no hiss out of the headphone jack.

SQ using the built-in EQ is pretty poor, IMHO, with significant distortions in playback. Fortunately, the supplied BBE tweaks is fantastic. This is my according to my ears, I hasten to add.

Bad thing is that it only allow audio line-out (if you want to use an amp) using the adaptor that attaches to the bottom (similar to the Vision:M). If you hunt around the DIY threads, you may get a DIY line-out cable that clips directly to the bottom of the player similar to the following: http://www.audiolineout.com/x5.html

But at a considerably reduced cost :P

Ok. If Scanfield says can use means ok lah.....

Going SLS later.

i think the price is 530+ or 540+...

A very Off-Topic remark :

dle4e_2005!! I love the soft toys you have there. :DD

You mean my dog or Domokun???

I bought it already @ SGD 499!!!!

First impression, is

sibei song ah!!!!!! :party:

Now, I really know how f*** up my HP6365 is as a mp3 player, totally cannot drive the UM2 :bash:

Some more I go bugis by Micheal Wong's latest album and straight away use FLAC to rip. Cannot compare with the MP3 I d/l from baidu man.....

Very happy now :grin:

so soothing to my ears now.... aahhhh.......

Edited by mashimaro

I bought it already @ SGD 499!!!!

First impression, is

sibei song ah!!!!!! :party:

Now, I really know how f*** up my HP6365 is as a mp3 player, totally cannot drive the UM2 :bash:

Some more I go bugis by Micheal Wong's latest album and straight away use FLAC to rip. Cannot compare with the MP3 I d/l from baidu man.....

Very happy now :grin:

so soothing to my ears now.... aahhhh.......

Congrats on your purchase! Hope you'll enjoy it for a long, long time :D

You mean you're using a PDA for MP3 playback?! Wow, never would have guessed. I tried using my SE K750i to play back my mp3's - tried it once and never again :P

Be aware, though, with your current setup you can possibly tell the difference between 128kps and higher bit encoding (i.e. 192kps or higher), so with your higher storage capacity, you can really go to town with your lossless encoding :P Do note, though, that higher bit rates can eat into your battery life.

IPB Image

Edited by scanfiend

X5 and Lineout doesn't match. There's audible lower bass falloff if I remember right.

You'd be better off amping from the headphone out, or adding a resistor inbetween the lineout and interconnect.

EDIT:

Never mind, found the image (Take note that this is without load)

IPB Image

Edited by Zephyron