Regards

CK

The instructions for bridging is very vague leh. Scary. :P

heheh, you can try bridging 2 AMP5s :P

Wonder if kross has started....

Regards

CK

haha....happy new year guys...

sadly i have not started...too busy relaxing...haha...

but I am planning to buy the parts soon. actually bought some parts already.

so ck, you used the monster amp from farnell?

Hi,

I used the monster transformer from RS Components. Just as big and heavy. I'll post some pics soon. Now thinking of how to squeeze in a tube buffer or tube preamp inside since I got quite a bit of space in the casing. If you have not bought a case yet, you can drop by Well Audio. They now have lots of casing from LiTe Audio at reasonable rates.

Pity that while I was building it, I did not think of shooting pics of the amp in progress like heady did. :P

Regards

CK

ops..should be transformer, not amp..lol

ok, maybe I'll try to take some pictures along the way once i get started..hmm...$85 for a case is considered resonable or not ck? I have not bought such cases before so $85 to me seems expensive..

The case I bought from Bytetron was about $30+, so I don't think the case CK bought is expensive, since the holes are pre-drilled. I think I may even want to go down and buy one too, my current case looks kind of dull.

BTW - CK, you bought a selector switch? I need to buy one.

ops..should be transformer, not amp..lol

ok, maybe I'll try to take some pictures along the way once i get started..hmm...$85 for a case is considered resonable or not ck? I have not bought such cases before so $85 to me seems expensive..

I think it's quite reasonable, compared to the Thai one I posted earlier which cost about double of that after shipping. And the pre-drilled holes mean I have less work to do too. :D

Oh, and I forgot to mention that it also came with 8 RCA sockets (for 4 inputs), a "ALPS" selector switch (dunno real ALPS or not), a power switch, 2 knobs for the volume and source selector, a power button for the power switch, and a power LED too.

The case I bought from Bytetron was about $30+, so I don't think the case CK bought is expensive, since the holes are pre-drilled. I think I may even want to go down and buy one too, my current case looks kind of dull.

BTW - CK, you bought a selector switch? I need to buy one.

The selector switch came with my case. It has "ALPS" printed on it but I don't think it's the real thing :P I have not wired mine up yet, so the CD input goes direct to the volume pot then to the AMP5 now. Can't wait to get it singing so I did minimal work first :P

Thinking of making a relay-based input selector at a later stage.

Regards

CK

Edited by ckng

Had a spare hour today and walk to SLS from my office. Saw the casing in Wells Audio, nice. Also found an Alpha (UK) 3 pole 4 position switch in Martin ($10) but bought a 2 pole 6 position switch, also Alpha from Bytetron ($4.50).

Going to make a passive preamp until I case my SOHA and I can try that as a preamp.

Had a spare hour today and walk to SLS from my office. Saw the casing in Wells Audio, nice. Also found an Alpha (UK) 3 pole 4 position switch in Martin ($10) but bought a 2 pole 6 position switch, also Alpha from Bytetron ($4.50).

Going to make a passive preamp until I case my SOHA and I can try that as a preamp.

Case the SOHA into the same case as the AMP5, then drill a hole on the front panel for headphone out. :P

Regards

CK

Case the SOHA into the same case as the AMP5, then drill a hole on the front panel for headphone out. :P

Regards

CK

Integrated amp!! Problem is the monster tranny. Takes up too much space!

maybe the soha might pick up noise from the tranny too...

Well, my SOHA has no problem with noise from its transformer but then, the monster transformer may be different. :D

Integrated amp!! Problem is the monster tranny. Takes up too much space!

Should be fine, my casing can put in 2 of the monsters!

IPB Image

As you can see, still got lots of empty space!

This is the amp on top of my Musical Fidelity A220.

IPB Image

The silver casing with a big knob next to the CD player is my AMP3, and the black box below is a META42 headamp. Will need to get a knob for the volume, the provided one doesn't fit an ALPS pot. :(

Regards

CK

Edited by ckng

CK, very nice. Your case is big, can fit in two monster tranny but mine isn't so big. Hmmm, really tempted to change the case but I am sad to waste the old casing.

I ordered a CK2III headamp, maybe I will use that as preamp, I think it is smaller. Let's see.

CK, very nice. Your case is big, can fit in two monster tranny but mine isn't so big. Hmmm, really tempted to change the case but I am sad to waste the old casing.

I ordered a CK2III headamp, maybe I will use that as preamp, I think it is smaller. Let's see.

Your casing looks very big leh, like those big power amps with 2 handles. :P You can get another AMP5 and run in bi-amp mode too.

Do you have the SOHA schematic? Would like to have a look.

Regards

CK