Sign in to follow this  
heady

Building the amp5

CK,

Digi01 is selling the boards on his site now, he also has the info on the site:

http://taihu.bjtzh.gov.cn/~digi01/soha-v3.0.htm

Note that his delivery time is legendary for its slowness.... :D

Haha. Looks like I don't need the entire amp, just the tube input stage. Which looks very, very simple. What transformer did you use for the SOHA? I reckon just need a small 15-0-15 like the headwize article mentioned.

Regards

CK

Yup a tiny 15-0-15 transformer from Sim Lim. My SOHA got no hum, just like mee siam.... :D

Yup a tiny 15-0-15 transformer from Sim Lim. My SOHA got no hum, just like mee siam.... :D

How does it sound as a pre-amp for the AMP5? Good? I am thinking if I just build the tube front-end, it'd be very very simple. If it works that way, that is. :)

"Towkay! One SOHA amp, mai hum!" :D

Regards

CK

How does it sound as a pre-amp for the AMP5? Good? I am thinking if I just build the tube front-end, it'd be very very simple. If it works that way, that is. :)

"Towkay! One SOHA amp, mai hum!" :D

Regards

CK

Didn't have a chance to try it as preamp. I have not cased it yet, so did not use it. I did compared it to my PPA v1.0 with Glassman buffer which is supposed to be comparable to the v2.0. The SOHA has the standard tube and OPA 2134 and it sounded as good, if not slightly better than the PPA. I have not tried changing the tube yet although I have bought another supposedly better tube. Considering changing the OPA as well.

I can't use my PPA as preamp cos it uses an active ground. I am sure you know that better than me. I am just a script "kiddie". :P

Edited by heady

Didn't have a chance to try it as preamp. I have not cased it yet, so did not use it. I did compared it to my PPA v1.0 with Glassman buffer which is supposed to be comparable to the v2.0. The SOHA has the standard tube and OPA 2134 and it sounded as good, if not slightly better than the PPA. I have not tried changing the tube yet although I have bought another supposedly better tube. Considering changing the OPA as well.

I can't use my PPA as preamp cos it uses an active ground. I am sure you know that better than me. I am just a script "kiddie". :P

I see. So you are using a "real" pre-amp now? Or are you running a passive volume pot like me? :P

Regards

CK

I am now using a really old Musical Fidelity pre-amp. I intend to convert the SOHA into a preamp with headphone out when I have the time. Same for the CK2 III pcb coming, then I will have a shoot-out with my MF preamp. :))

ck, you got a cool MF amp in the pic you post and you prefer the amp5?

ck, you got a cool MF amp in the pic you post and you prefer the amp5?

Somehow it sounds better with the AMP5 leh. Remember the AMP5 already beat your Meridien monoblocks liao. heh. Probably will keep the MF, it's a classic. Don't quite like the new MF looks. :P Of coz, part of the reason for getting the AMP5 is also for the fun and experience in building it, and the sense of satisfaction when it worked the first time.

Regards

CK

Somehow it sounds better with the AMP5 leh. Remember the AMP5 already beat your Meridien monoblocks liao. heh. Probably will keep the MF, it's a classic. Don't quite like the new MF looks. :P Of coz, part of the reason for getting the AMP5 is also for the fun and experience in building it, and the sense of satisfaction when it worked the first time.

Regards

CK

Yeh, man, you are right about the amp5. I was so upset when I first heard it because it was so good for so cheap. Doesn't made sense. And I agree with you re: the looks of the older generation amps. They will retain their aesthetic value for a long time. The modern amps will look weird and dated in a decade.

Yeh, man, you are right about the amp5. I was so upset when I first heard it because it was so good for so cheap. Doesn't made sense. And I agree with you re: the looks of the older generation amps. They will retain their aesthetic value for a long time. The modern amps will look weird and dated in a decade.

Yeah, that's right. And I kinda like minimalistic amps, so those vintage amps with 20 knobs don't appeal to me too. :P Just a source select + volume is about right.

Regards

CK

hmmm..if you guys can put in the soha without it picking up noise may I might get interested...but the thing is i already case up my soah leh....

hmmm..if you guys can put in the soha without it picking up noise may I might get interested...but the thing is i already case up my soah leh....

Is it *very* sensitive to external noise? Shouldn't be right?

Regards

CK

i think actually no....but not sure also so maybe you guys can get me interested...cos I spend some hard time casing up my soha and i forsee a hard time getting it out too...

i think actually no....but not sure also so maybe you guys can get me interested...cos I spend some hard time casing up my soha and i forsee a hard time getting it out too...

kross, casing is most of the work and aggravation in diy. I think ckng did the wise thing and got the right case for his amp5. My cases never looked really good. Sigh. So, if your SOHA is already nicely done up, don't take it out. Use it as is. Just add RCA sockets for the pre-amp out.