Sign in to follow this  
stussyking

budget bookshelf speakers

ok thanks for all ur inputs. i roughly have some general direction. :)

i would second a visit to Ahfartaudio too. I went there to get a pair of cables and heard his setup. it was great.

well, i hope i speak for the rest of the community by wishing you well in your search for so many things, and when you finally buy something, please give your input. :grin:

SET is not for: Revel & Dyanudio

Regards,

---

David

I just ran across review on Revel Concerta F12. It has good sensitivity on spec, why is it not suitable for SET amp? It it the impedence load?

Sometimes it's not the spec but sonic characteristics that does not bode well when partnered with tube equipment. For instance, Sonus Faber with solidstate is as successful as Dyanudio with tubes.

I'm also looking for speakers and bottom of my list in terms of price level is the Infinity Primus 360 - lowest price I've seen in forum is S$590! It's a full range speaker with sensitivity of 93db. You can google for a Stereophile review.

Heard it driven by low power Sun SETs amp from low/mid end TT source - tomally well balanced and fluid midrange. The bass is ample but not taut & well defined, but this could be mainly due to the room accosutic & amp.

BTW, I was going to audition the Revel F12 till I called up the agent and was told it retails for $3K!

Supposed to be retailing for USD1.2K in the US, which works out to be about S$2K.

I'm also looking for speakers and bottom of my list in terms of price level is the Infinity Primus 360 - lowest price I've seen in forum is S$590! It's a full range speaker with sensitivity of 93db. You can google for a Stereophile review.

Heard it driven by low power Sun SETs amp from low/mid end TT source - tomally well balanced and fluid midrange. The bass is ample but not taut & well defined, but this could be mainly due to the room accosutic & amp.

BTW, I was going to audition the Revel F12 till I called up the agent and was told it retails for $3K!

Supposed to be retailing for USD1.2K in the US, which works out to be about S$2K.

If you are going to spend 2-3K on a pair of floor standers, try audition the Vienna acoustic line of speakers. For the amount, you try the Mozart, Bach or the Hayden(bookself). I had the old Mozart (not the new Grand series). Generally I prefer the Vienna acoustic line of speakers with solid state amplifiers. BTW, what amp and cdp are you using?

Heard good things about the Viena.

I'm just getting back into full sound system again, so nothing except for the Pioneer DVD. It's their current flagship model and plays SACD as well. Hasn't been fully burnt-in yet so can't tell its full poyential but I doubt it'll be in the same class as a good mid price CDP - likley need a good DAC later but it tested incredibily well as a transport.

I have a longish & highly reflective space that's accosutically unpredictable - so just taking baby steps. Just borrowed a pr of speakers to test out last night with mixed result - likely to need a lot of room treatment.

I prefer full range speakers as their have to serve HT function as well (2 channels)

I'll likely buy used speakers to test out 1st.

Cannot afford that type of full range - just something with more than mid-bass.

Primus 360 is acceptable but I'm also looking at Revel F12 if mark up is not so ridiculous.

I don't mind the iQ7/9 either, although audition was not too impressive, it's tonally quite balanced and looks great. I think the NAD electronics upstream does not allow it to run at it's full potential, but the salesman pulling a long face throughout, so may also have added to the negative impression.

I feel the Primus 360 is quite a good choice not only in terms of price/performance ratio, it's high sensitivity allows a wide variety of amp matching.

Unfortunately, setup will be in the living area, so wife only consent to carpet. Our close friend has an array of big tuning tubes, triangles up in ceiling corners and other paddings in the living room - she almost flipped! He wife is not critical about decor.

I was outstationed and left the system to cook for almost a week. I must say the Sonic Impact + LothX sound pretty amazing.

Low bass & high treble is limited but the mids are so clear & musical...everything sounds quite far away, so the mssing bandwidth didn't sound unnatural.

The Pioneer DV989 as a source is quite good after burning in. I got this as a bundle with my new plasma and was concerned about the stereotype bright piecing treble common amongst DVD players - fortunately my concerns were unfounded.

I tried substituting the HA1A in both Triode/Pentode mode with substatntial degradation - soft & fuzzy with no bass in comparision.

Unfortunately, setup will be in the living area, so wife only consent to carpet. Our close friend has an array of big tuning tubes, triangles up in ceiling corners and other paddings in the living room - she almost flipped! He wife is not critical about decor.

Wow, such a tolerant wife. Hope your friend appreciates his wife. :))