Guest joi-ful

UPDATE: UM1 rocks my socks!

haha ya who knows, i've got weird ears.

I felt that um2 bass is a bit too strong, just a bit, but i dont mind it. It's that it has something missing from um-1 that doesnt sound right. I felt as if the soundstage got worse, its like having the sound coming 4cm away from my ears.

Hi Joi-ful,

May I know... when you hear UM2 have strange bloated bass... what player (or equipment) that you use with it?

Thanks,

---

David

I tend to agree. I was totally disappointed with how the UM2 sounded with ipod shuffle but it was fitted with long comply tip. The short tips gave more room (ear drum to iem driver) for soundstaging and opens up the treble. Shure medium tips are good too. Modded biflange offers best isolation but the treble cutoff is more apparent than the comply short and shure medium tips.

Latest update: After posting the above, I proceeded with snipping off the stem shorter and walla, the missing treble details are much better now.

Edited by Mackie

hi Joi-ful,

I never hear shuffle... last time I hear UM2 with my notebook earphone out... and I don't think I hear no bass bloat at that time (I admit I only have a short time to hear it. Also my notebook earphone out sounds "neutral to cold", which match my warm SR60)...

What kind of bloat? is it boomy or is it loose?

Thanks,

---

David

Guest joi-ful

Not exactly sure how to describe it but it sounds a bit like 'ex71 tubey' feeling except the bass quality is much much better.

I enjoyed the UM1 a lot and well, the UM2 beats the UM1 in almost everything aspects except the weird bass hump (I call it the annoying subwoofer feeling....=P) Sf5pro, on the other hand, is perfect (almost)! Will definitely consider it when I want to upgrade. =D

Hi Joi-ful,

thanks for your update...

maybe last time I do not spend enough time to listen to UM2 so that I did not notice the hump that you mention...

one thing that actually sounds strange to me is... UM2 sounds very powerfull/impactfull... which is too good to be true... I mean I'm not sure if that kind of impact is really on the recorded material... (see my opinion on the http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=5495# and http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=5495#) UM2 sounds more powerfull than MS2 or DT990...

when I hear UM2 before I listen to MS2 and DT990.... I'm really amazed by UM2... but after I heard MS2 and DT990... I later think that might be UM2 is not right... any way... if I have a chance I will try UM2 once again...

I will check SF5pro too... (too bad, might be I don't have a chance to visit Singapore again this year...)

Thanks...

cheers,

---

David

If you get the super.fi custom molds, they'll stick out horribly. Try it with all the stock tips before deciding. But the do sound great don't they? lol

If you get the super.fi custom molds, they'll stick out horribly. Try it with all the stock tips before deciding. But the do sound great don't they? lol

Hmmm...just curious. Did you see someone wearing them or its based on assumption? I've yet to see someone with a super.fi customs though.

Guest joi-ful

I feel that the UE superfi.5pro is just about the most balanced IEM around the 300-400 price range. I simply can't find any faults with the sound!

Edit: Hmm, I think the highs may sound a bit loose sometimes.... nth major though. Probably got to do with my source. Hehe.

Edited by joi-ful

I think the player itself can make a difference in the judgement of the quality of the UEMs. When I was at Jaben's, I use my PDA (iPaq) to test UM1, UM2 and the difference is not as obvious as when I test it directly from Wilson's CD Player. I was playing this Kitaro CD from Wilson's player and this "drum" song which I can't remember the title but very famous one. Using the UM2, the first beat of the drum. You can hear "Dong ~~~~~~". The resonance is so good, it feels like you are hearing LIVE and you can feel all your goosepimples.

To be fair, I think we should write off the effects of the player by using a properly amplified CD Player aka Wilson's setup in the office, to audition the UEMs. I don't want a case where after I upgrade my DAP, I have to change my UEMs because it just doesn't match with my current one. Anyway, my current setup is UM2 <-> iAudio X5L. I still debating whether an amp will make a diff.

I think after buying higher end IEMs, most folks will be changing the DAP instead!

Using a dedicated CDP against a portable player is kinda like comparing apple and oranges? Not sure if there's any DAP that can hold its own against most CDP but if that's the case, i hope i won't have to carry the latter in my bag. :sweat:

Well, just my SGD$0.02 (inflation accounted)

Edited by Nu_Omega