Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

Beyer 770/880/990 compared

blink.gif fantastic!!! laugh.gif

lend me your power cords can? biggrin.gif kekke..

Can't do - cause I will not be able to listen to music then. heehee laugh.gif

A good start would be to try out Belden back and red power cords and it's very low cost too!

Edited by Northern Oak

let me make them for you! i love making cables! and soldering! jump.gif

Interesting to say the least Mackie. Nice pictures.

Of the three Beyer cans above, I never liked the 770 (I have listened to the pro versions of the 770 and 990). The only differences between the pro and non-pro versions are pressure (the pro version exert more pressure), the non-pro version has a slightly larger headband and price (the pro version are cheaper - I don't know why). And oh, the aluminum is black on the pro versions.

Why I dislike the 770 - the bass is overwhelming to the point that it masks the midrange - it's boomy. There's another closed Beyer headphone that I like - the DT-150. The DT-831 is too bright for most people.

The 990 shares the same driver as the 770 - it's a nice can in the S$300 plus category. The open design lets some of the bass out I guess and as such it doesn't mask the midrange. Still it's a bit lacking in details when compared to the DT-880.

Of the 3 cans - the DT-880 is still better than the DT-990 and both are definately better than the DT-770.

Beyer has 2 and maybe even 3 house sounds. They however remain a favourite brand of mine offering good value for money.

When competing with other brands I would say they have only one competitor - Grado. Grado's have better detailing and a very linear/even sound across the frequencies (to me at least). The SR-125 and SR-225 offer phenomenal value and sound for the money. Sennheiser is not a real competitor as they only have one or two models of acceptable sound quality the HD-530, HD-590 and HD-600 (but you guys know what I think about the HD-600 so I won't go there). AKG has the K-501 but other than that and the K-401, there isn't anything much to rave about ( I have very little experience with the K-1000).

BTW when I listened to the Beyers some months back I had used several amplifiers including the Creek OBH-11SE, Grado RA-1, Corda line of amps and my former special order PreHead that is now going to the US of A ( a tear drop forms but evaporates).

What I would like to see from Beyer is a DT-931/DT-150 blend with a DT-990 cups and headband. Can some one do some photoshop work and let me have a look LOL

Nice review Mackie, just can't agree with you 100% all the time LOL.

BTW I had asked another basshead (Bulkie if you must know) of his impression of the DT-770 (hey after all I don't listen to techno etc). Even he eventually sold off his 770 as he found it too bassy. There are just other closed cans that do it better. Sony V6 for example, Beyer DT-150, Senn HD-25 (opps forgot about this one).

The Beyer DT-990 is nice but do give the Grado SR-125 or SR-225 a listen as well.

If your like the Senn HD-600 then listen to the DT-880 (It has more grit while the Senn is more linear but laidback).

Please note I am no longer a Beyer/Grado/Corda dealer and as such have become totally unbiased but all the above is IMO only - I am not a guru (as some of you believe) nor do my tastes suit everyone. Ablaze likes things alot brighter than I do for instance and the member formerly called Guyferd likes thinks alot darker (but I suspect his tastes are changing ;-)

Rameish,

If U re-read my summary, we share the same opinions and ratings in descending order ie. (1) DT880 (2) DT990 and lastly (3) DT770.

Adhoc,

I think U're already eyeing the DT770 which I think I will sell to anyone who's interested instead of sending it back to HK.

Blues,

The 770 and 990 were not tweaked during the auditions.

To all,

Thanks for the compliments.

Edited by Mackie

rameish: ya.. my taste is slowly changing by the day lol.gif

Mackie,

Did read your summery - just that even for pop I actively dislike the 770 - I don't know why. It's a popular headphone and sells like hot cakes according to the manager at Peak Fusion. Even some good reviewers (that I trust) at head-fi seem to like it. To me this headphone is the odd ball in Beyer's fine line up.

Don't give up on closed headphones - try the Beyer DT-150 if you ever have the chance. The DT-250 are very Senn HD-600 (they are IMO the closed headphones for Senn HD-600 lovers).

I actually like the Senn 600 for Classical but since I have only something like 20 CDs and 30 records in my tiny classical collection it's a bit spendthrift to get one.

I have an idea but that's gonna be another thread.

thanks for the suggestions. during the brisbane meet, a guy who has the dt770s, bioxeed, says they sound alot better with corda blue. he has a creek 11 now, he tried it with the mg head otl, and said way way muddy, not tight at all. i didn't get to test out them with rock music, but with a short listen to leftfield, it sounds good to me, not bloated or sibilance. i'm trying to organise a little meet again with him to have a closer listen.

i have the sony 7506 now, but find it terrible for rock music, there is no soundstage. but with electronica hip hop stuff it's pretty good. i just want a decent closed can sad1.gif

i dunno about cables and sources, they wouldn't make a big difference? i couldn't hear much difference when fishball came over with his cables.

hey Rameish, do you find the hd600 more laidback than the dt880? i think it is the other way around smile.gif

Too bad, i'm now going for a amp, and later just for s source or cans upgrade. But preferable the source first. If not, i would get DT-770 from Mackie...hehe...i listen to a variety of music, be it hip hop (although seldom), R&B, heavy-bass music, classical or rock...etc, as long as those pieces sound nice ot me, i would listen tongue.gif my taste are of various combination smile.gif

Seems like the DT-770 is sort of a all-rounder cans, it suits my taste wink.gif

Too bad, maybe should wait for the latest offer cool.gif

But i hate sibilence... sigh...

Edited by mychew

I can see why dt770 is selling like hotcakes. but to understand why some audiphilia love them is even harder. I know of a few in head-fi who has hi end gears and yet they keep 770 for some of their pop/rock session. Infact, if you look at their inventory you will see that 770 is probably the odd one out. I just don't understand. Maybe this is what we call different stroke for different people. I for one still like the 770 and it will be close call between 250 and it , if I were to get a new closed headphone.

dt770.. i like..

wait, i must hold that thought.

am still saving for that proper amp, that ha-2..

(downgraded from prehead in case you're wondering..)

Adhoc,

Don't let my opnion sway you. You should listen and judge for yourself. Since Mackie has a few Beyer's on hand get them all a listen then and only then should you make a purchase decision.

If you're sticking to high impedence cans then there is no diff between the stock Prehead (ie NOT the AD8610 version) and the HA-2.

You should also swing by my place to give it a listen with the Beyer DT-880 (bring your own CDs please).

Mackie,

Did read your summery - just that even for pop I actively dislike the 770 - I don't know why. It's a popular headphone and sells like hot cakes according to the manager at Peak Fusion. Even some good reviewers (that I trust) at head-fi seem to like it. To me this headphone is the odd ball in Beyer's fine line up.

Don't give up on closed headphones - try the Beyer DT-150 if you ever have the chance. The DT-250 are very Senn HD-600 (they are IMO the closed headphones for Senn HD-600 lovers).

I actually like the Senn 600 for Classical but since I have only something like 20 CDs and 30 records in my tiny classical collection it's a bit spendthrift to get one.

I have an idea but that's gonna be another thread.

Rameish,

Thanks for the tip ....hopefully able to sample the 150/250 especially the latter in the future.

rameish, all that equipment in your profile, are they owned or the ones you;ve had experience with?

if it's the former.. blink.gif