Sign in to follow this  
adhoc

DT880 cord change

Ablaze...hmm

Adhoc,

Try the Star Quad Klotz a.i.s - it has detail but not warm IMO - since the 880 are warm enough IMO.

If you do think the Star Quad Klotz is too bright then switch to Canare L-4E6S (105) (there's a skinner version - sounds the same)

At this point I strongly suggest to you to have a female 1/8 jack attached to the headphone to test different cables. This will save you the trouble and the danger of repeated soldering and desoldering.

Please note - I need to say this - do all or any of this at your own risk.

And...what's with the Kim Jong-Ablaze, I hope you're not calling him a dictator are you? lol.gif

Rameish,

Damn Grados marketing... once again I over estimated a company. Bass not as tight is common on long run of cables that has less than ideal insulation. Oh well, back to square 1.

All manufacturers give out a certain level of bs. 3 runs of the Grado extension cable would make 45 feet - a half-deaf guy will be able to tell the difference ;-).

However, Grado at least has the decency to provide/supply and extension cable that is decent. Can't say the same for the supplied extension cable with the DT-880. Why supply it if it sh*tty? It's a waste of money IMO. They should have just made the straight part of the DT-880 a bit longer and life would be simpler.

rameish,

klotz star quad a.i.s.?

so far i can only find star quad sq422sw.

and no, ablaze is not a dictator, he's our Dear Leader.

Besides SQ422, I reckon GY107 will also fit the bill with 880...bringing better focus in the mids, punchier bass and the recessed treble of GY107 will augur well for those who finds 880's treble sibilant with their system. Nonetheless, SQ422 has a more neutral freq response between the 2 Klotzs.

Edited by Mackie

the GY107 has only one conductor per cable. so its gonna require more work to make into a headphone cable ..

I see....I wonder how GY107 would sound if it's stripped of its jacket.....a favourite with fishball's work on interconnects and power cables. Perhaps then it could be used as headphone cable but I agree, looks like a lot of work and satisfaction not guaranteed.

still working on the cables dears. and still trying to find a suitable strain relief. the WHOLE of SLS is OUT OF SQ422.

have decided to change the crossover cable since i accidentally cut it. anyone got suggestions for a

anyone got any lobang for a GOOD 2-conductor wire (or one conductor + shield) that's about 2.5mm thick?

when i finally do the final lap, which would be soldering on all the new cables and plug you will have photos. promise.

what about this?

it's looks better and IIRC it's avail at hung

http://www.klotz-ais.com/quickorder/artike...kelpdf/tp_e.pdf

sorry not crossover cable, kena ppl will confuse it with the crossover used in speakers.

it's the cable that crosses from left enclosure via the headband to the right enclosure.

relaxing.. i'll post a proxy photo till i get my camera figured out. this is from another of my threads over at head-fi

user posted image