Sign in to follow this  
adhoc

DT880 cord change

currently now they're stripped, debraided and just waiting to be tinned.

i decided in the end to use the canare l-4e6s in the end due to the braid shield as opposed to the spiral shield of the mogami which will spread out over time. also for some strange reason the mogami cable keeps 'sticking' to my floor.

tmw i make a journey down to SLT to pick up a clip on heatsink and a new desoldering wick and i should undertake the mod tmw or by this weekend latest.

there's some melted solder on my coiled cord.

as in they came like that. and there's also a small notch that looks like someone briefly touched and melted the cord with a hot soldring iron.

i want a refund mackie!

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

oh no! i just remembered that i'll need a DIGICAM! argh.

hopefully the ones my school loans out have a macro function.. whistling.gif

tmw i make a journey down to SLT to pick up a clip on heatsink and a new desoldering wick and i should undertake the mod tmw or by this weekend latest.

I find the desoldering wick harder to work with so I use a solder 'sucker' instead. Maybe I have bad soldering skills... yeah.gif

Might I suggest the Klotz, it's a bit more detailed and would mate better with the DT-880 - ir.making it a bit less dark sounding. You do realize that by changing the cable you will invalidate the 2 year warrenty.

thank you very much ablaze.

a bit late in telling me rameish right? wink.gif worst come to worst i change back the coiled cord and get it serviced. but if they ask me what happened i'll tell them i messed about with the insides- dont believe in lying abt these things. gan zhuo gan dang.

the sucker is good but i find it's a hassle to hold. i prefer the wick.

pics must wait, dont have a digicam. anyway i'm not doing anything else the next few days but just continuing my desoldering.

the audison 4% silver solder i got is a #$*^$( to work with..

but if they ask me what happened i'll tell them i messed about with the insides- dont believe in lying abt these things. gan zhuo gan dang.

I'm pretty sure if you admit that, they'll just happily void your warranty, and make you pay for repair charges wink.gif don't think you get any points for honesty here biggrin.gif

the audison 4% silver solder i got is a #$*^$( to work with..

adhoc, just imagine how difficult it would be to work with your once sought-after 20% ag solder. biggrin.gif

Try WBT - it's easy to use. Becareful not to leave the soldering iron for too long on the driver part (is it soldered directly to the drivers or is there a connector?)

Have fun maybe since you've taken it apart why don't you try attaching a a stereo female jack. Then you can make several 1/4 inch to 1/8 in headphone cable - one klotz, one canare, one belden etc See how the sound changes with each one and then decide which you prefer - then sell off the other two (with a simple change in the 1/8 inch male jack to a 1/4 female jack. Your money not wasted and you end up with your prefered cable.

ramiesh, it's a metal piece to which BOTH the input cable and driver copper coil wire is soldered too. so i have to be very careful with heat. too much and i'll desolder/melt the thinner-than-a-hair copper wire and there my dt880s will go.

ramiesh, i could but if replacing the cable was all about improving sound quality putting another connector in the path would kinda nullify my effort eh? anyways this project is being done with the blessings and advice of both wallijonn and gerg, 2 head-fiers who are probably at the forefront of modding. the canare cable i selected was based on their recommendations based on their personal experience.

also IIRC ablaze does not like his klotz cable and i suppose there must be a good reason for that.

ablaze, actually i never intended to impress them with my honesty. was just trying to show that i'm not going to trip over myself to lie about what i did.

also IIRC ablaze does not like his klotz cable and i suppose there must be a good reason for that.

you gotta remember you probably have different tastes and hearing from me.

I like BRRRIIGGGHT sound happy.gif

good point - i didnt think of that. hrmm. i've not yet actually attached on the cable yet.

rameish, what klotz model exactly?