Sign in to follow this  
adhoc

DT880 cord change

have done some research on it. it's melting point is the highest of all the silver solders.

anyway just finished up desoldering.. my stupid wick hardly worked at all, so i have to go back to the trusty pump.

now the metal contacts where the input cables were originally soldered onto are as flat as when they were made. happy.gif

just tested each driver with the 2 bare wires from the old input cable. each side's STILL WORKS! and the sound is ok, not missing anything at all apparently. WHEW! smoke.gif

i was using the original old connectors..

Now that U're in the midst of cable swopping, I concur with Rameish's advise to attach a short cable with a female jack at the end so that U can switch different cables to your heart's content.

I have yet to come across any commercially available high end wires/cables that is thin and pliable enough for use as headphone cords... I have one suggestion tho

If grados claim is true, that you can use connect up to 3 of their extension cables to a pair of cans and there will be no signal loss watsoever, buy one and use it for cans!

Fish,

LOL . Even though I love Grado, I can hear their extension cable. It acts like a filter (all cables do) but this one being 15 feet long!, results in loss of high frequency detail and the bass is not as tight. Some might prefer this sound I guess.

Barradio,

I think the Senn HD-600 "cable" would be detrimental to sound on the DT-880. The cadas OTOH should at least be on par if not better than the original beyer cable.

Don't know about WBT melting point but it does flow smoothly and is very easy to use. Siltech is not bad either but expensive.

I still don't believe in buying expensive (purpose made) cables and cannibalise it for use on another can, just not economical I suppose. rolleyes.gif

I'm not perturbed by the Beyer cord as my seat is just next to the cans rig. Nevertheless, I'm interested to know how different cords would change the sound of 880. Adhoc will be the first to find out. yes.gifheadphone.gif

Edited by Mackie

For me I use portables alot, the extension cable just won't do for me (signal path theory rolleyes.gif ) and it just gets snagged somewhere along the listening period. Even on my Home Rig (META) sleep.gif

the hd600 cables are IMO too stiff.

the star quad cables that are on the market are seriously as flexible as the original coiled cord. most, if not all good mic cables are designed to be light, flexible and have lowered microphonics.