Sign in to follow this  
adhoc

server crashing?

what's been happening recently? it's quite worrying.. blush.gif

normal lah..everyday also will crash one or two time for 15 minutes like that

Just check back a while later wink.gif

what sort of server crashes one or two times everyday?!

imagine in the future when computers control our cars and something like this happens!

well me and you can't complain because we didn't pay a single cent to host this site ..

but ah it's still much better than the old server which was very slow and had more downtime

A very reliable crashy server... must run on Windows.

sometimes i pity ablaze..

he's like spending his extra free time to mind this server..

yup. the server always down recently..the database problem again..hm...headache problem for ablaze man...

I'm studying IT, but database error is quite headache,sometime smile.gif

Edited by mychew

you make drams?

Hi guys,

the database errors are supposedly the fault of the mySQL version 4.xx which both this server and the old servers are using.

apparently, invisionboard as well as vbulletin tables get corrupted. but for various reasons, most web hosts won't downgrade the entire server to the older, less problematic 3.xx versions. I'm guessing the new versions have new features that they don't want to forego or something.

anyway, the invision support forum says that by doing a 'rebuild of the apache using cpanel' (I don't entirely know what this means, I'm just quoting verbatim) its supposed to fix the problem and it won't occur again. BUT this has been done, apparently, on the web host's side (both the old and the new web host) and as you can plainly see, it DOESN'T help one bit.

normal lah..everyday also will crash one or two time for 15 minutes like that

Just check back a while later  wink.gif

guyferd, if only things were as simple as that. sleep.gif EACH time the database error occurs, I have to go to phpmyadmin and repair the corrupted table (usually the ibf_topics.myi). If I discover it early enough, you guys, as guyferd puts it, will find that it'll be back to normal once I repair the table. be it 15min before I discover it, or hours, depending on when I recheck the forums.

best part is, often a simple table repair is not good enough. (sure, this is do-able, just a few mouse-clicks here and there, won't take a few minutes) the real headache occurs, when after the repair, some topics are lost or some member deleted. So what I then have to do is manually cross-reference the ibf_posts.myi and manually insert a new line in the topics table with all the data I cross-referenced from ibf_posts.myi. and this is hell!! thats why you sometimes you see threads disappear for a while, then reappear, with some errors like missing posts, or a changed title, etc. its all poor me trying to restore the topic info back sleep.gif worse is when members get lost, eg. the last casualty was Mackie, and like before, I can't restore all the info accurately, and things like post count is just a guesstimate on my part..

so, basically. its quite sh*tty. its not as simple as 'check back in 15min, it'll be ok already'. on my part its wacko.gif sigh.

I'm hoping the next version of mySQL, or the new version of invisionboard (which should be out soon) will fix the problem. but if it doesn't..there's lil I can either dry.gif

hm.. ok, but I didn't know you are monitoring the forum nearly 24 hrs.. hm in that case..

probably someone who is good in managing server can give you a hand..

or else it's gonna be screwing .. wacko.gif

Edited by Blues

Add more ram!!! Err.. It is common for people like me who manufacture computer Drams. lol.gif

it's not like ablaze own the server.

would the web hosting agent be able to provide full redundancy service....meaning that there is always a second system to switch to whenever there is a bottleneck ? Could it be due to peak loading, as i recalled there were quite substantial concurrent postings at the moments when it crashed. wink.gif