feather

Opinions on Walkman Phones

What are your opinions on using walkman phones (namely Sony Ericsson models) as DAP for commuting? I'm currently using an iPod (4G I think, can't remember liao) with a pair of UM2. Was thinking if the W series of phones have a good-enough sound quality, I can stop lugging my iPod around.

Any of you use these walkman phones? Feedback on sound quality?

from all my friends who are using Walkman phones the Sq is more clearer and louder then both Nokia and samsung ones both loudspeaker/jacked

Edited by Xiao_Catz

i own a w550i. use it as a DAP with my UM1s.

have to say they sound very good. SQ is much better than other phones and PDAs too.

only thing is the memory space is insufficient for me. :(

Using the w950i walkman series phone. Probably one of the better ones out there. Music is comparable to an mp3 player. The only thing is that when its changing tracks theres this crackling sound

oh yes that part. forgot to mention that. on mine it's not just crackling sometimes it's quite severe pops that are moderately loud. and when you pause the music there's an audible hiss.

the ipods weren't really my choice of player as the parts they use are really crappy. for SQ i rather the sony over the ipod.

oh yea youre on headfi too right. haha :D

Edited by eugen3

eugene, i second that. i own 5G (some call em 5.5G) iPod, 80GB but they sound weaker than my sony mp3 player. I forget the series, the one that look like pen-drive one, not the noice cancelling type. The SQ on my sony is better than iPod.

i agree on that point too, my first gen sony player(think E series) owns the HDD ipods and the mini and the nano, it DOES lose out to the shuffle though. however, the ipod has a linout dock, in which paired with an amp, with apple lossless, can make the music go way better than mine ever can :))

but you have to say, ipods are DAMN sexy loking! asthetics wise, they ARE brilliant!

however, its just my opinion.

walkman phones wise,just didnt really like it, it couldnt power my K81's well enough, bass was thin and weak. the model i tried was my friend's W950i

thats the feature on the phone right?

yeah i did use megabass!! or maybe it sounded weak, cause i am a HUGE basshead :))

so it sould be too thin and weak IMO BECAUSE i am a basshead :))

to be REALLY honest, i wasnt disappointed caue i wasnt expecting much, for simple acoustic songs(think clapton's tears in heaven) and vocals its passable, but for heavier stuff(think iron maiden), totally unacceptable to me :bash:

it think its still best to use a DAP for serious listening rather then using hp

i'll go for portable CD player for really serious listening, DAP for travelling, music phones for erm.. share some good songs with friends? this is all i can think of. hehe.. but i do have some good time listening to music in my old nokia 3300 and N91. But the N91 let me down with faulty HDD Y_Y..

from all my friends who are using Walkman phones the Sq is more clearer and louder then both Nokia and samsung ones both loudspeaker/jacked

Is it really true? It's funny coz what i've been reading from other forums and many places that they said Nokia N91 sounds better than most Sony Ericsson's handphone including the high series W950i.

In fact, they even mentioned that N91 is the best among all handphones.

Well, I'm not sure which one is true but i intend to buy a music phone in the near future.

Could any Nokia N91 users and Sony Ericsson W series users verify on this?

One last question, what about N91 vs N95 vs W950i?

Really debatable. I yet to hear the n91 but from a w950i point, I find its as good as an average mp3 player other then the crackle between songs which is darn obvious with IEM >.<