Sign in to follow this  
ezzo

AL iM716 or Denon C700 or ER6i or...?

Hey!

What do you guys think about these IEMs?

I have round everything up all to these few phones.

Sound:

AL: ER4 sound a like?

Denon: I have read some people actually prefer these to UE Super.fi 5 Pro (probably of the fit)!

ER6i: Too little bass?

I prefer a musical sounding IEM rather than a flat, analytical sounding like Westone um1 :)

I have a portable amp, so basically any kind of IEM can be used.

Any other recommendations is welcomed!!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ezzo

AL iM716 actually has two modes, bass and HD. HD is more like ER4 but treble not as smooth slightly too analytical sounding imo while bass mode obviously has more bass and slightly warmer sounding as well. They have high impedence but they react well to amping. Cons: the Pod is quite useful if u need to control the volume often but the weight can be annoying sometimes. Overall, if u ask me, im716 is quite value for money at the price of $149 or $159 (can't remember lol). As for the other two, hvn really seriously heard them, can't comment.

Anyway, i suggest u make a trip to either or both Stereo Electronics or Jabens to try it out for urself. I'm sure Aaron and Uncle Wilson will be glad to help u. ( SE does hv the im716 and Er6i for auditioning, not sure abt C700)

Edited by ferrari85

I have tried the etymotic Er6i, can say the bass is really too little...but its quite a detail earphones. I would prefer the denon anyday.

Thats what I was afraid of - too little bass for ER6i. Other than that, it look pretty good and nice extras. Haha. Thats quite a plus for me, I don't fancy paying close to $200 and get just the earphone while others has extras.. Denons pretty much does not have any of extras..

Okay... Its between iM716 and C700 now. Anyone has first hand experience with the Denons?

Edited by ezzo

If you find that the ER6i has too little bass, I don't see how the iM716 might satisfy. Even in bass mode, I don't find it very much more bassy. Sounds like there's more bass, but it's no-where near full-sounding.

If you think the UM1 sounds analytical, the Senns CX series might be for you.

Or so I imagine, by my extrapolation :grin:

Senns CX? If their bass sound anything like the Sony EX71 or Marshmallows that I own, they would be no no.

Ex71s are way too boomy neither was I really pleased with the sound of the Marshmallows (even after the kramer mod). The Marshmallows sounds fine when I am outdoors but when I use them indoors, their sound signature just don't suit me. In this case, other than the boomy bass from Ex71, I actually prefer the sound signature of it to the Marshmallows.

Anyway, I listen to alternative, rock, hip-hop rap on the IEMs.

Um1 sounds good and its very comfortable for something under $150, but i dislike the fact that they tend to turn yellowish on certain areas after a period of time. Crossroad X3 is also good, but the QC cannot make it. I think ur best bet would be either the Atrio M5 or Denon C700.

if you can get Atrios, maybe it is the safe bet fom what I read.

But if you want to have IM716, try mod it with kimawe 27ohm... SQ better than unmodded with better bass response as well...

Thanks for everyone's advise! :)

I am no good at describing and using audiophile terms but I managed to figure out what the difference between Ex71 and Marshmallows. Haha.

I realized it is the forward sounding mids which Marshmallows have, that I don't like (like the Grados')

With the Ex71, the vocals are farther back by like a few rows, ah ha! Thats for me. Instead of the Marshmallow which makes it feel the whole spectrum of high/mids/lows are all played in your face.

(Please correct me if I am saying it wrongly!)

Well, so I think neutral mids are probably the best for me.

Th Atrios are kind of off budget and quite similar to the C700 too, so I am not really considering them. Thanks for suggesting anyway!

Have anyone heard both iM716 and C700? I don't think SE has the C700 for audition, do they??

Yep, I will be going down for audition but I like to do some homework first :) To me, its quite hard to audition and do some critical listening outside with the noise around :bash:

I got IM716 but never have chance to listen C700... sorry.

I got IM716 but never have chance to listen C700... sorry.

Me too ... sry can't help you. Btw, just done "Podectomy" on my iM716's with 47ohm resistors. All I can say is WOW ~!~!~! :grin:

Edited by ferrari85

Oh man, I still cant decide :blink:

I was thinking of the iM716 and then mod it..

But after reading this thread on Head-fi, it just got me more confused :rclxub:

C700 Thread

Anyway, can someone comment on the Mids on the C700 and iM716?

Mids as in vocals I would say.

I prefer "sitting in the middle rows, instead of the fronts".

Not very nice to listen to alternative/rock with the vocals "shouting" in your face...

Edited by ezzo