Sign in to follow this  
heady

AlienDAC and PINT amp

AlienDAC and PINT amp in identical Hammond casing. The AlienDAC bought from Glassjar Audio as a kit but case came from Farnell. The PINT pcb was bought from a DIYer who could not get it to work properly. I changed the opamps to LMH6643MA dual opamps and cased it.

These opamps sound better to my ears than the AD8397 which is the preferred opamp for the PINT. And the LMH6643 should double the battery life, as it uses half the current. I find the sound less harsh and more defined, bass was definitely better defined. Some may find the sound too warm or the bass too loud.

AlienDAC_and_PINT.jpg

Edited by heady

nice casework! how did you cut the square hole for the usb? file?

Is your mini3 up yet? How does it compare with the pint?

Thanks loop_, actually the photo looks better. :P

Square hole - draw outline on masking tape. Drill series of holes inside outline, join holes to create a large hole. Use a flat file until the hole matches the outline. It's easy with plastic.

I have not done the Mini3 yet but from the schematic, my guess is that they should sound close. Which is why I wanted to try this opamp in the PINT before doing the Mini3. I guess my Mini3 will use the LMH6643.

Heady, can you comment about the Alien DAC? It has been hyped quite alot, I am wondering is it THAT good or whatsoever. Thanks :)

Thanks zer061zer0.

ezzo, it makes a lot of difference listening to it vs the output from my notebook but I have no other USB DAC to compare it with. With a CD in the notebook, it sounds better than my Panasonic portable CD player. I now prefer to listen to CDs on my notebook rather than from my portable CDP.

I think the AlienDAC is very good value for money.

Edited by heady

Hi,

The casing looks small and cute, what's the Farnell part number? Thanks.

Regards

CK

Hi,

The casing looks small and cute, what's the Farnell part number? Thanks.

Regards

CK

CK,

HAMMOND 1593KBK - Farnell Order# 930180

Comes with two sets of end-panels for front and back. Good value, only S$4.46. Only thing is very tight fit for 9V battery.

Regards

Thanks zer061zer0.

ezzo, it makes a lot of difference listening to it vs the output from my notebook but I have no other USB DAC to compare it with. With a CD in the notebook, it sounds better than my Panasonic portable CD player. I now prefer to listen to CDs on my notebook rather than from my portable CDP.

I think the AlienDAC is very good value for money.

Hi heady, if you are interested i can pass you a usb DAC for comparison, I am interested in hearing your opinions on the Alien DAC. I have 2 boards lying ard and I am thinking if i should be doing something this coming break, perhaps for the very last time(maybe), graduating soon.

Hi sure. :grin: Got chance to try another USB DAC will be welcome. What pcb do you have? I found that with AlienDAC, the only problem is when soldering leads to ground. Need to really warm up the pcb first before soldering the ground pads, otherwise the ground sucks the heat from the soldering iron and the solder won't stick to the ground pads.

Edited by heady

that means you need a more powerful soldering iron. Alot of amb's boards also have this same issue. I got a 20/200W soldering iron you just need to press this button and the iron gets hotter. Press it for like 1 minute and the whole iron becomes red and glowing. :DD

i dont have such problem when soldering.

only lost one smd cap when i tried to desolder it and it flew somewhere.

and almost killed a smd resistor by ripping it apart.

SMDs are headaches. but overall good experience

that means you need a more powerful soldering iron. Alot of amb's boards also have this same issue. I got a 20/200W soldering iron you just need to press this button and the iron gets hotter. Press it for like 1 minute and the whole iron becomes red and glowing. :DD

I think my iron also the same, 20/100W Hakko. The instructions said never to press the button longer than 30s at a time. Thanks for confirming that it is ok. :) The tip I used is quite fine and it probably has trouble conducting enough heat. My tiny Antex 12W iron is hot enough as the tip is fat and transmit heat very fast but I dare not use it with SMD as tip is so fat.

I find the AlienDAC board is particularly troublesome as the pads are coated with silver which tends to repel solder until heated up quite hot. This was already noted when the boards first came out.