Cankin

Headamp Pico

-ohn' date='7 May 2008, 10:05 AM' post='100327']

I waited 1 month for the pico and return it within 30days after comparing it with the i-qube, the amp section of the i-qube is simply more impressive in all aspect but if you need the DAC, then give it a skip and don't audition the i-qube. ;)

I have test the i-qube but still plan to get the pico bcos the iqube is too big for me.

I have auditioned iqube, pico, hornet today, which my SE530 and iPod 5th generation.

I'm not very good at describing, but here's my impression of them.

iQube

I would rank this top class. Awesome control of bass. Deep impactful punch that goes all the way down.

The kind of bass i am looking for but yet not overwhelming and tight enough. Details and decay are impressive as well. However, there are slight background hiss when volume is 0. Neutral sounding.

Pico

Do not really like the way it handled the bass portion. I would describe it as a very hard punch, but it did not go as deep as iqube. Slightly warm, the last bit of details seems to lose out to iqube. Very silent, no background hiss at 0 volume.

Hornet

I would call this sweet. My songs sound good on it. Very enjoyable. Bass is deep as well, just the way i want it.

Details slightly below iqube and pico. Very silent amp as well, no background hiss at 0 volume.

Overall, i would rank iqube 1st, followed by hornet and pico. This is purely based on my preference for a certain sound signature.

I have auditioned iqube, pico, hornet today, which my SE530 and iPod 5th generation.

iQube

I would rank this top class. Awesome control of bass. Deep impactful punch that goes all the way down.

The kind of bass i am looking for but yet not overwhelming and tight enough. Details and decay are impressive as well. However, there are slight background hiss when volume is 0. Neutral sounding.

Pico

Do not really like the way it handled the bass portion. I would describe it as a very hard punch, but it did not go as deep as iqube. Slightly warm, the last bit of details seems to lose out to iqube. Very silent, no background hiss at 0 volume.

Hornet

I would call this sweet. My songs sound good on it. Very enjoyable. Bass is deep as well, just the way i want it.

Details slightly below iqube and pico. Very silent amp as well, no background hiss at 0 volume.

Overall, i would rank iqube 1st, followed by hornet and pico. This is purely based on my preference for a certain sound signature.

i like your ranking.

iQube

Pico

Hornet

Did you try the predator .. I PERSONALLY felt that it was the sweet spot between the pico and the iqube. The pico bass was slighlty overwhelming but the iqube sounded hollow.

Did you try the predator .. I PERSONALLY felt that it was the sweet spot between the pico and the iqube. The pico bass was slighlty overwhelming but the iqube sounded hollow.

The last time i borrowed Predator from someone in jaben, i can hear v strong emphasis in bass. Not the kind of sound i wanted.

Maybe also due the the fact that person's setup is a SuperFi EB version. :grin:

Anyway, Predator comes with DAC right? I don't really need that as well.

Yeah don't feel good about Pico's bass too. Like a big hard slam to the surface, but it just stopped there instead of going deeper.

Guess i'm not a basshead afterall

Edited by ralfale

On a side note, do you guys find that 1 year warranty coverage for iQube is a bit little? Compared to Hornet (3 yrs), Predator (Lifetime), Pico (3 years)

Edited by ralfale

May I know which shop did you auditioned them?

May I know which shop did you auditioned them?

It's the usual Stereo and Jaben.

I travelled to both of them in a day, just to be sure i still remember the sound signature clearly. Haha. Nice patience guys there, always ready to help and advise.

Thinking of getting the Pico, will that be available in Jaben? Thought these are sold online.

Thinking of getting the Pico, will that be available in Jaben? Thought these are sold online.

Jaben doesn't sell Pico at the moment but they do have the demo unit. Headamp can barely keep up with the pre orders at this point in time.

Guest dragonboy

The last time i borrowed Predator from someone in jaben, i can hear v strong emphasis in bass. Not the kind of sound i wanted.

Maybe also due the the fact that person's setup is a SuperFi EB version. :grin:

Anyway, Predator comes with DAC right? I don't really need that as well.

Yeah don't feel good about Pico's bass too. Like a big hard slam to the surface, but it just stopped there instead of going deeper.

Guess i'm not a basshead afterall

I think you'll like the I-qube. :party:

I think you'll like the I-qube. :party:

See my above post. Have already fallen in love with it. :no:

Now the problem is, i have to break the bank to get it. :helpsmilie:

Why not you sell yours to me? :D

Edited by ralfale

Guest dragonboy

See my above post. Have already fallen in love with it. :no:

Now the problem is, i have to break the bank to get it. :helpsmilie:

Why not you sell yours to me? :D

Sorry,Bro.... still love every bit of my I-qube. Nothing out there sounds like it. :thumbup:

Sorry,Bro.... still love every bit of my I-qube. Nothing out there sounds like it. :thumbup:

for some reason, i personally did not like the iqube even with all the rave reviews. It sound hollow and uninviting to me. Like sitting in a wide open field and listening to the performance. with the pico and predator, i feel more engaged and involved in the performance. I think this is being described as being upfront. But then that's my personal opinion and perference. Will differ from person to person.

What earphone or headphone are you using? I-Qube sounds hollow? Oh, and what cable were you using to audition the i-qube?