lengcm

Mackie's Plug....

1. an rca plug with a 75 ohm resistor integral - ie built in.

2. a resistor with a resistance rating of 75ohms. a resistor is something that impedes the flow of current. ohms is the name for an arbitrary unit of resistance.

3. hot carries current, ground is where the current 'exits' if you want to think of the hot as an entrance

4. a literal 'plug' (as in not something you just stick into something but something you use to block up something) that connects the ground and hot of an UNUSED rca connector. prevents rfi from generating a 'foreign' current at the ground of the unused rca connector.

Edited by adhoc

Makies magic plugs.

Mackies heavenly cones.

Mackie is surely hardcore. (he must be rich tongue.gif)

Hi Adhoc,

Thanks for the reply. I am still quite confused and have the following questions to ask.

1. Where can I get such 75ohm resistor rca plugs?

2. In a typical rca cable, where would be the hot and the ground?

3. And in a typical rca input, which is the hot and the ground?

My apologies to all if these questionssound silly, I am quite hopeless in such things.

Thanks again for all your help.

1. an rca plug with a 75 ohm resistor integral - ie built in.

2. a resistor with a resistance rating of 75ohms. a resistor is something that impedes the flow of current. ohms is the name for an arbitrary unit of resistance.

3. hot carries current, ground is where the current 'exits' if you want to think of the hot as an entrance

4. a literal 'plug' (as in not something you just stick into something but something you use to block up something) that connects the ground and hot of an UNUSED rca connector. prevents rfi from generating a 'foreign' current at the ground of the unused rca connector.

1. Where can I get such 75ohm resistor rca plugs?

Cheap RCA plug alot at Sim Lim Tower(SLT) or Square. And 75ohm resistor also found at SLT.

2. In a typical rca cable, where would be the hot and the ground?

The centre would be hot, the outer surrounding the hot would be gnd.

3. And in a typical rca input, which is the hot and the ground?
Same as above.

Alternately you can use a cheap RCA cable and cut it, exposing the centre wire and the surrounding wire. Joint them with a 75ohm resistor.

Alternately you can use a cheap RCA cable and cut it, exposing the centre wire and the surrounding wire. Joint them with a 75ohm resistor.

Thanks for the reply, jtfoo.

DOes anybody hav a pic of the above quote?

If it is easy to do, I would like to make an attempt.

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply, jtfoo.

DOes anybody hav a pic of the above quote?

If it is easy to do, I would like to make an attempt.

Thanks again

i have a picture of the plug in Here

Alrighty guys, I will bring the extra plugs to the meet for U guys to try. However, I expect the environment to be rather noisy and so any serious audition will most likely be impaired.

Btw, the plugs come in better looking housings now. All who wishes not to DIY and interested to order, pm me. I'll try to fulfill the orders by Sun.

Edited by Mackie

hm..roughly know what u guys are talking about...Mackie....what's the difference between rca tp rca and mini to rca in quality wise....and what are the differences with different quality and price range availabel in the market?or maybe DIY?

The difference between RCA to RCA and mini to RCA is in the size, that's all. An intended conversion is not meant for improvement of sound quality but merely to accomodate your gears.

Price range of plugs is wide. A cheap HomeFix/hardware plug to Eichmann to WBT can range from unit of 1-100s. New technology, construction, gold/rhodium plating, size, brand, marketing etc contribute to higher prices. Whether one can hear a difference is subjective.

If u wish to learn what's available for DIYers, a visit to SLS/SLT will be fruitful as there're simply too many. On plugs, U tend to hear a few favourites such as Canare and Neutrik for eg.

Edited by Mackie

oh...chim leh Mackie....

anyway...for s starter like me...i think a slightly better RCA to mini would serve me well...to connect an source..laptop or pcdp..for cdp...would need a better RCA to RCA...i think so tongue.gif

Mychew, I think U're referring to interconnects ie, a cable that connects 2 sound gears.

U gotta start a new thread on this subject as further discussion will derail this topic.

The difference between RCA to RCA and mini to RCA is in the size, that's all. An intended conversion is not meant for improvement of sound quality but merely to accomodate your gears.

Price range of plugs is wide. A cheap HomeFix/hardware plug to Eichmann to WBT can range from unit of 1-100s. New technology, construction, gold/rhodium plating, size, brand, marketing etc contribute to higher prices. Whether one can hear a difference is subjective.

If u wish to learn what's available for DIYers, a visit to SLS/SLT will be fruitful as there're simply too many. On plugs, U tend to hear a few favourites such as Canare and Neutrik for eg.

Not to mention high quaility resistors.

Does resistor quality or RCA quality matter here? Afterall it's termination right and not trying to retrive as much of a signal as possible. I guess the resistor might matter as silver band ones may be too off the 75 ohm mark.

Anyways, in case some of you guys are sceptical on this one do note that even on the old telephone wire computer network "open" stations are terminated with the RJ47 with resistor (is it RJ 47? - u know the telephone plug). Sigh getting old.

just received the magic plug from mackie.

I tried switching but couldn't really hear the difference. Maybe I was a bit tired today plus I didn't get my afternoon rest .

Will try and see the improvement again in the next few days yes.gif