heady

Bijou tube amp - transformer

Thinking of getting the Bijou amp kit from Glass Audio. Anyone in SG knows where to get a transformer with secondaries output of 260V-0-260V/90mA and 6.3V/3.5A?

Can't find the recommended Hammond (370DAX) transformer from Farnel or RS.

Thanks.

i guess you could try shops which are familiar with diy tube amps, like well audio or ahfart

failing that, i think glassjar can get the transformer for you, though it will add to the shipping cost.

You can try the R-core transformer from (shipped from HK)

http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/main.php

her shann

Thanks loop_ and hershann for your suggestions. I read in the Bijou thread that R-Core is not as suitable for tubes as the usual type. Any comments?

Not really sure but - a few of the Bijou prototypes used the same R-core that was sourced by Jeff Rossel.

From what I know about transformers:

1) Toroids - low noise (less magnetic radiation) & efficient and smaller VA for VA, however core saturates easily if there is DC imposed upon the AC wave resulting in transmitted noise.

2) EI transformers - less efficient, more magnetic noise but with air-gap allows it to tolerate DC in the line

3) R-core = similar to toroids ?more linear? less noise

Actually looking at the R-core specs, they are really specifically targeted towards the tube amps with filament secondaries and high voltage secondaries.

her shann

Hi Heady, thought the bijou amp's using 270DAX? BTW, I checked out http://sg.digikey.com. Part no's 270DAX-ND. You might wanna add some more items to make it $SGD80 as they charge $16 handling fee if your orders are less than that. Not too sure if that's considered expensive or not as I have no experience in ordering such items.

1 1 270DAX-ND TRANSFORMER 1 FILMNT 260VCT 76VA 1

Lead Time 78.23000 $78.23

Subtotal $78.23

Handling $16.00

Shipping $30.00

Total unknown

Thanks mouz, but in SG we need to use 370DAX because the 270DAX is only 117V max. It has only one Primary winding. Hmm, seems I can't find a 370DAX in digikey.

Will be looking at the r-core transformer hershann recommended.

Edited by heady

Thanks again mouz. No need paiseh what, we are all learning. I will drop by Martin's soon. I also found that I can get custom transformers made. The cost work out to be about the same too. Thing is, I am not sure about the quality.

Edited by heady

just got my bijou board, but will be leaving sg soon. Heady u have any idea how long this built would take till casing this up, from sourcing stuff to completing

just got my bijou board, but will be leaving sg soon. Heady u have any idea how long this built would take till casing this up, from sourcing stuff to completing

No idea, bro, I am buying a kit off Jeff from GlassAudio. So I need only to look for transformer and case. Hmm, you leaving for studies? Will miss your presence in the forum.

Lol no leaving for work.. i am gonna miss the soldering iron... and the pcbs.. dun think i can do up the bijou thugh i hav the pcb with me already, not enough time.

hey heady!

yuujin here.

just wondering what did you get for your transformer?

i just got around to opening my bijou kit.

it has been a busy 2 mths.

hey heady!

yuujin here.

just wondering what did you get for your transformer?

i just got around to opening my bijou kit.

it has been a busy 2 mths.

Hi Yuujin,

I like the spelling of your name. I had a very good pal called Ewe Jin but lost him to cancer a few years ago.

I ordered my transformer from vt4c.com:

R80-36 primary (0-110) x 2 /SCN: scondary (260-230-0-230-260)(200mA),

> > 2.5-0-2.5(3A), 3.15-0-3.15) X 2(3A)

Cost US$51.20 including airmail from Hong Kong. It's about $2 cheaper by sea mail.

Edited by heady

hey guys any pics on your bijous?

inspire me abit...have been working like mad.

only finished populating the boards and i dont have time to even order the transformer.