Nova

Why not Senn MX500?

Hi pple, jus curious why some of the forum members r so obsessed with the sony MDR-Ex71 when in my opinion the MX500 or the Koss KSC 50 is just as good. In comparison the prices r also much more competitive. Would any of the users like to shed some light? biggrin.gif

To each his own. No one needs to verify his preference for anything. Some places sound quality before anything while others see isolation/aesthetics as more critical.

ex71? it is quite a good earphone with decent isolation and good bass, from what I've heard.

mx500 is said to be better in terms of price to performance ration, but each person hears differently, and thus ex71 might just be the ticket for them.

Same thing for ksc-35/50. Though they're my fav for anything under 100, the other person can say that he/she prefers other phones compared to it..

so.. different folks different taste.

ps. over at head-fi ,the mx500 and ksc series of 35/50 fans outnumber the no. of the ex71/70 fan wink.gif

mx500 no bass?

I think you've got a defective pair...

my one has reasonable amount of bass wink.gif

Over at head-fi, the sony MDR-Ex71 is very seldom mentioned, not to say recommended. And whenever it's brought up, you get criticisms all over. Beats me, but I really wouldn't consider such a headphone that all the audiophile supremes slam. Going back to my mx500 & ksc-35...

Sometimes, the look and style kills, like babes tongue.gif . Sony excels in Good-look and lifeStyle product. biggrin.gif

One of the other main reasons why people hear differently and can argue till the cows come home is the same headphone is driven by differnt amp and the amp a fed from a different source. Of course personal differences are there as well.

So when you see someone say somthing like this headphone is like this or like that, chances are it's in his system it sounds like this to his ears.

I doubt if Har28 has a defective pair as that would be pretty obvious in all areas - not just bass.

My 2¢

I am using a pair of MX500 also and when I first use it I am straight away impressed by the sound of the headphone. In my opinion this pair of earphone is designed for listening to classical music, thus the presentation is more neutral and thus for those who like rocks and heavy bass not to their taste. If you are a classcal music fan MX500 will most likely suit your taste.

Yeah man, I agree with charismatic with the lifestyle thingy. Think sony spent most of its money on marketing... which is really in line with the Jap culture, that is appearance matters most (personal opinion). No one really cares whats going through your ears, so long the gadget looks cool. biggrin.gif

Ooo... based on looks alone I'd go for the PX200! cool.gif

har28, your mx500 has weak bass because it doesnt fit your ears well- the only major flaw of the mx500, a too-large IMO design that prevents snug fits that allows for nice bass.

jealousyneverdies, the ex71 is little mentioned over in head-fi because its members primarily come from the states - the ex71 is not typically exported there in large volumes and is difficult to find. its the same reason why little audio technicas besides the super high end models (w2002, w100, a100, w100, a100) are mentioned. we here in asia are lucky to have ready access to audio technicas and sonys, but have the drawback of having to contend with jacked-up prices for most non-asian-made hifi gear.. note i said non-asian-made, NOT asian-brands. eg marantz is made is asia although it's an american brand and is hence cheaper here than in america.

Edited by adhoc

fuwen, the mx500 is NOT neutral. it has a large midrange hump. which in turn makes classical more forward and more fun to listen too.

rock needs a slight high hump and midbass hump to sound good IMO. happy.gif