Sign in to follow this  
WatCult

mychew & his next Quest for DT990 in sgHeadphones

hm...had try A/B Senn hd 200 and hd 202.

tried with Sarah Mclachren Surfacing track no 7 again

and En Strauss orchestra CD

ok...when i listen to it...eh??not much different??

after serious listening for another hour of time. Here are what i notice:

hd 200 is more ladiback than my hd 202 and i duno whether this cause the soundstage becomes wider...whereas my hd 202 sounds to be a bit forward..but still a laidback...but just nice...

for my hd 202...it's more boomy...while hd 200 sounds like has a miss somewhere in the mid or midlow bass IMO...i duno whether i'm correct about this or not...but i can feel that there is something lacking there in the bass.

and..hd 200 is a little bit warmer compare to hd 202..anyway...hm..but i found that hd 200 is a bit lack in details?hm...hd 202 is boomy and make it sounds like music in a cave...whereas hd 200 is more in an open space...hd 202 sounds boomy and make me think that it has a deeper soundstage?while hd 200 although laidback but does not make me that its soundstage is deeper, it's wider instead...

Overall...it's better than me hd 202..but for the price of 100+ i would not consider it as my next upgrade..if i dun have my hd 202 now...i would consider buying hd 200..the differences between them is not obvious without a serious listening...i dun really hate hd 202..except it's a bit bright and boomy...but sometime i woould think that that brightness may be the details gain...i'm not really sure..Mackie...wat do u think of my hd 202 when u try it last time?Northen Oak..last time Mackie told me that i was listening to the headphone out of marantz cdp...therefore it may affect the quality of marantz cdp...but i agree that it's a bit bright...and one thing i notice...when i tune up the volume of hd 200...it becomes bright to me...hm...

anyway...just a short listen to hd 200 as my fren is only lending it to me for one day...and i only had chance to try it at nite...while i still need to do my assignment sleep.gif

Mackie...wat do u think of my hd 202 when u try it last time?Northen Oak..last time Mackie told me that i was listening to the headphone out of marantz cdp...therefore it may affect the quality of marantz cdp...but i agree that it's a bit bright...and one thing i notice...when i tune up the volume of hd 200...it becomes bright to me...hm...

I had a very brief listen to your cans and the first thing I noticed is the bass may be wholesome but undefined.....sort of plumpy at the upper bass and lacks tonality/extension on anything lower. Given its cost, one shouldn't expect more than it is because it sounds better than a lot of earbuds and shiny hook-on pieces.

I don't understand the second part of the quoted paragraph. Btw, headphone socket of stereo amp/cdp is a poor means of a gauge on how the equipment sound. Some are better than others but a head amp is still mandatory.

Edited by Mackie

ok..Mackie..what i mean in that paragraph is u told me that it might be the headphone out of marantz cdp that affect the sound quality. Coz u said the correct way should be listen from the rca connected to a headamp rite?and i agree that hd 202 is a bit bright but not really disappointed with it...

hd202 is not bad can for the price.

but I still prefer my ksc-35 to it.. the bass is more defined on the koss. The hd202 has more bass but doesn't go as deep. Both are sloppy though lol.giflol.gif

Also since it sounds kinda closed in, as opposed to more open sound on 35 laugh.gif

mychew u should've gotten some koss the last time lol.giflol.gif

Meetings on wednesday and thursday nites went on well. Had a brief chat with my fren but he couldn't bring his set because of constraint over his luggage. So i had to defer my audition till next time. But his playing at Jazz @ South Bridge was marvellous, with right tunes and talend combination for a dynamic band that played interesting nos from Chick Corea (Spain), Casiopea, Dave Crusin...

For mychew, i still like HD200 for its warm and gentle presentation of vocals, which combined with its airy soundstage, gives a very smoothing touch to the voicing. However, i do agree that it is not easy to obtained layered definition in soundstage, unlike the case of Grado. wink.gif

yeah....tee...learn that word from u wink.gif

layered definition in soundstage.

Yeah...i agree that warm and gentle vocal for hd 200.and of course...i learn the word which i duno how to say out here...airy soundstage....that was what i find out of hd 200. hd 202 sounds boomy and have a "cavey" soundstage (my own term lol.gif)

But when you listen to a system that is laid back, you must enjoy it in a very quiet background and spend enough time to feel the music. Slowly, the vocal will touch you like a breeze....quite different from the way when you listen to Beethoven's Symphony No. 5. wink.gif

I never used to like listening with my eyes closed until I got my 501s. laugh.gif

Tee: But that cavey sound of hd 202 did not make me dislike it..mainly because of the bass and brightness wink.gif

i agree that listening to a laidback system in very quite background...and i always do that...spend enough time...erm..yeah...then again...my assignment is neglected....i really regret for listening so much to my setup instead of doing assignment...diana krall vocal touch me more than sarah mclachlan's vocal...

Mackie: what is the jazz artist u wanna intro to me last time?i forgot already tongue.gif

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so sweet sound is in the ears of the headfier. Mychew, you have all the right to like what you have. wink.gif

but...if i did not finish my assignment...i would die tee...lol.gif

but anyway...i cant live without music... tongue.gif

My word tee, you're such a smooth talker. I can only imagine how you are with the ladies!

Thanks N@Z, ladies inspire my thinking and sense of belonging, but so are your words that inspire my sharing of pictures, thoughts and love for music. wink.gif