Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Sennheiser HD650

This is because Sennheiser believes this particular design helps to reduce standing waves around the drivers ie, an improvement over the more conventional circumaural design.

Edited by Mackie

smile.gif cool I learn more headphone facts everyday. laugh.gif

user posted image

user posted image

jazz's impressions:

First contact with the HD 650...

Today I've visited the Swiss high-end fair called AdVance in Pfäffikon at the Lake of Zurich. Believe me, I wasn't even prepared, but suddenly there was a Sennheiser demo stand with their current headphone line hanging on the wall, among them the HD 650! Apart from the color it looks and feels exactly like the HD 600. The sound... grrrr!!!  Couldn't they have chosen better music! It's very hard to judge the quality of an unknown headphone with such sterile disco-pop, with female vocals and electronic accompaniment. Really annoying. I asked for a different music, but without success. Well, let's take what's there. My first impression was that it sounded quite different from the HD 600, with deep and strong bass that's tighter and cleaner. Also the high end is more pronounced, clearer, more brilliant, and there's no trace of any veil, but a higher smoothness and maybe transparency. I switched to the HD 600, and I found there was more intimacy and atmosphere, although less extension. With the new model, some of the HD 600 magic is gone. But the sound seems to be more spirited, more exciting. But no, Grado never came to mind during the audition.

It's really hard to get a valid impression under these circumstances, but I do think the new model could be a considerable improvement. Its character seems to lean more towards the DT 880's freshness and clarity, but with stronger bass - in this case it was a bit too strong for my taste, but probably it's the recording which is to blame. I can't make any statement on the soundstage, because of the inadequate recording and the short audition time. All I can say is that this experience didn't narrow my decidedness to buy the HD 650 as soon as it's available - which will be in late October or early November according to the reps.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....&threadid=45774

I'd just like to say, I REALLY want to try them when they're out! blush.gif

Ablaze,

I'm looking forward to your purchase LOL. If this 650 has corrects the flaws of the 600 and doesn't have that recessed mids of the Beyer DT-880 it's gonna be a very popular model indeed. Hmm...maybe Mackie's HK connection can get some HD-650s in a power buy.

Rameish, how about YOU do the buying for once? I'm the poor sh*t, and you're the one with the BM yucky.gif

anything Dr Jan Meier can help with? cool.gif

Hmm... look closely at the connectors and they seem to stick out more than on the 600 (and are black-grey only) Cable looks a little thicker as well (maybe it's just the camera angle).

If my stock senn cables are anything to go by the ones on the HD650 looks nearly twice as thick. The connectors are also huge! Besides that, physically there doesn't appear to be much change other than the colour scheme & the headband padding is slightly different. If it aint broke...

I hope the original character of the sound is not too much changed as I felt there was nothing much wrong in the bass department in the first place but I wouldn't mind a more forward midrange sound. Jazz's initial impression mentioned more intimacy & atmosphere so that seems promising.

I think the review from Jazz said that the HD600 had more atmosphere and intamcy not the HD650.

However I can't help thinking that this must be due to the HD650 not beeing proppely run in. I mean how old can it be if it was at the show? Probably never used except just then!

Ablaze,

Me doing the buying for once. LOL You maje it sound like I don't buy anything. I'm very poor right now believe it or not. Am saving up for the R-10 if they really sound all that good. Waiting for Tee. Frontier work requires real spare cash (or impatience ;-). I'm just relaxing and enjoying buying music.