Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

What A Busy Weekend with Creek Sugden & Grado

Here's a picture of a mini to RCA cable I made from what's left of the former Sennheiser HD-600 cable. The cable is made of 13 stands of litz wire of approx 33 AWG (a common AWG for tonearm cable :-). I used this cable partly because it was made available to me for free (thanks to Lengcm who gave me the stock Senn HD-600 cable) and mainly because of the properties of Litz wire. Litz wire is basically twisted magnet wire that is individually insulated to combat the skin effect. As such I figured that the low output of PCDP (0.6 volts in the case of the Panasonic SLCT 470) would benefit from Litz wire. If you've ever been curious and plugged in a headphone into the lineout of your PCDP you'll know how low the output is. Although, 0.6 volt is high by even moving magnet cartridge (for turntables) standards, I figured it was in the low range. Of course to fully benefit from this I need to use some Bullet Plugs (thanks to Beldin who gave me a couple of these).

The result? Well it's a lot better than the Straightwire mini to RCA and it's a hell of alot better in terms of flexibility.

LitzRCAtoMini.JPG

Edited by Rameish

Those bullet plugs make the cable look so wimpy!

Here's another picture of my so called ultimate portable setup consisting of the Panasonic SLCT470 -> Bullet Plug/Senn HD-600 Litz Mini to RCA -> Clone RA-1 -> Ety 4P.

Myportablesetup.JPG

Rameish,

You recycled the orignal sennheiser cable for ur interconnects ar... how are they?

Opps pardon me... didn't notice the post above describing them...

Edited by fishball79

Well fish, I'm not really a fan of the portable. I have very few RCA to mini cables lying around - the homebrew PBJ clone with canare plugs all round, the straightwire I bought from headroom in a different lifetime and this bullet plug/Litz wire.

The main thing is this is very flexible. Will test it out if I have the time. Right now I have a backlog of things to do.

I just soldered the thing together because the parts were lying around - everthing but the solder was given to me by fellow members. LOL

It's better than the Straightwire though I havnt changed the RCA to bullet plugs - anyone else wants to pass me a couple.

N@Z, I thought I showed you the bullet plugs when you were in sg? Ya they do look and feel cheap but the logic behind it is immaculate IMHO.

Hmm.. am thinking of combining a couple of diff AWG of Litz with a solid core with teflon sheath - cable qeo will probably GQ braid or ortthogonal braid (if I can get silk tassle) ;-).

Wish I could do the sums as well. Aslo looking for a couple of copper collars for the ends. The techflex the damn thing. Hmmm...could be a big boo boo though.

With cables you can never know till the last solder is done and cooked.

Hmm...fish anyplace that sell 5N silver litz? Don't have right??

Yes you showed me your 'freebie' Bullet plugs. wink.gif

I like the sound of you hombrew PBJ clone (are we still on for that?) it sounded very respectable on your Clone RA-1 & portable. I want to compare it with my Marketek & Canare mini to mini.

N@Z,

I just like experimenting with stuff - of course we're still on for that - been there done that. I'll just charge you for parts ya :-)

Alritghty then just got my digital cam back from Rameish. A pic of the Consonance 1.1 guts. beer.gif

Consonance.JPG

Edited by lengcm