Sign in to follow this  
Eric Chia

Irukandji.......does anybody know wat is this?

well except for me........ -_-

lol been burning midnite oil for it......jus leave it on all nite with air cond of cos ler.... :D

been burning my dac, cans and my amp.......3 in 1 shot and all in good condition and my jellyfish as well

at an expense of electrity cost..... :whistle:

well except for me........ -_-

lol been burning midnite oil for it......jus leave it on all nite with air cond of cos ler.... :D

been burning my dac, cans and my amp.......3 in 1 shot and all in good condition and my jellyfish as well

at an expense of electrity cost..... :whistle:

Well, I heard tube amps can't be left on for too long because they might spoil the circuitry. Woo Audio advises not to leave it on for more than 10 hours at a time.

I have mine played for 10 hours with 2 hours break in between. Have been doing that since I had my Jelly.

Personally I would do that, but I need to conserve my iPod's battery (for commuting the next day) and my iQube's battery (since the Energizer E2 isn't cheap).

I understand your circumstances, Uber. The reason why I can do that is that my office is nearby my residence. Though I use the 10hrs run - 2hr rest cycle, I usually listen to the rig for 2 hours everyday. I wish I have another iPod so I can continue the cycle flawlessly.

When Tubeman introduced me to the Irukandji, I have to admit I was tempted.

But the truth is that I don't really have a "Home" or "Desktop" setup.

When I do listen to music, it is when I am travelling so portability is very important for me.

But having touched the Irukandji, the poison had already spread....

So I borrowed an unused Quad 606 power amp from my father-in-law.

I re-used my ancient B&W 601S2s from my home theater gear, and hooked them up using very affordable Belden 1313As.

And waited...

Today, I picked up the Irukandji and a set of Valgrind RCA-stereo cables. Needed two cos I was using a Luminous Audio passive pre-amp (borrowed from my colleague) but had to make do with a temporary set of cables until Tubeman can get me another set of Valgrinds ;)

Only put in about an hour or two in this setup. Initially, there was very little bass. At first, I thought it was due to the passive pre-amp. But nope.. that wasn't the case. Just gave the Irukandji some time to burn in, and damn! The really taut and precise and punchy bass was back!

Really surprised at how well the old B&Ws are still able to deliver.

When I heard Bocelli and Dion's The Prayer, I almost cried from all that detail.

I'd kiss Tubeman and have his babies!!! haha (but luckily neither of us swing this way!)

Edited by Doggie Howser

I fully agree with you that the initial phase of the Irukandji was almost bass-less. But just after a couple of hours... :D The resolution of the music is just astounding. I wonder what a proper desk amp paired with the Irukandji would sound like.

Congrats on your new toy(s)!

By the way, which CD did you get that song from (The Prayer)? Mine from Andrea's best of has a mediocre recording. :yuck:

Anyway.. I almost didn't want to sleep... but after shooting off a couple of emails for work, realize it's going to be a long day for work, so reluctantly powered off the Quad.

Then, on a stroke of inspiration, realized I got the RCA/pair of Valgrind would work just as nicely with the LISA III ;) and ported the whole set to bed for some bedtime listening...

But damn! This Irukandji and LISA III and Crystal-ed Livewires combo is even more intoxicating, revealing EVEN more nuances than the B&Ws earlier. Jialat... cannot sleep, quickly powered up the notebook to pen these thoughts :P