kidult

17 Jan 2009 Headphones meet

Hey, Jojo...what is your take on the Cambridge DacMagic? Looks like your list of toys is growing as well. :grin:

I'm still thinking how to give UNBIASED impressions on a DAC. Logic tells me that I cannot use the usual "AMP" review, where you use phones and a source. This is because I need to consider the DacMagic as a SOURCE. If I do a review. The use of a separate amp would make the review a synergy of the DacMagic+the amp. :unsure:

:sign0006: Sorry I'm in the midst of redoing a Proposal I did last year for 3 months. My organization gave me the Task to make a NEW one last Monday and expect me to submit it by Feb 15.

:b2t But if you ask ME. The Dac Magic is definitely an upgrade from the Zero even moddified (not to the point the modification needs soldering. :ppth: ). For me anyway.

I found it strange that from what is posted on the web that it is too smooth or too forward. As on my Rig it wasn't the case. Yes it was smooth but not to the point it felt lifeless. It isn't very forward as pairing it with the CD900st made it musical for me. :party:

The best thing I liked about the DacMagic is it is very clean. I find during a listening session my songs have artifact/distortions on the ZERO. This happened after putting the IRUKANDJI in the line. The Irukandji showed it all. :doh:

The DacMagic didn't have any of the distortions.But the details were all there! But again this was on my RIG. ^_^

:oops: Note: I'm a anti-noise Freak! I hate hearing artifacts/distortions on my rig. That is why I am a self confessed RSA fan. I love the Low Floor Noise on the AMP. Can't wait to try out the Apache if Wkwlb permits us to grace it. :innocent: I go CRAZY if I hear noise for more than 1 minute on my music. :wallbash:

Due to the DAC Magic plus irukandji. I am now assessing my LC3 a an amp... *sniff :grr:

When will it ever END!!!! :bye2:

Added Info. The Near05 is loving the balance connections from the DacMagic!!!! :hifi:

And I'm still tube-ampless. :doh:

You will go there. Just don't be in a hurry. Unless you are not enjoying what you get on your Rig right now. :shocking:

Edited by jojo_b2

Wah, looks like someone has been busy over the CNY break...so what is the set up like now? Must be a killer!!

Damn happy with them now after tweaking to my preference. Drop by my place someday for an audition. :grin:

And I'm still tube-ampless. :doh:

Actually I spent quite some time doing research and audition, knowing what I want before jumping into my home rig now. So as mentioned by Jojo, just take your time. By then, you'll be more sure of your choice.

Jojo: Thanks for sharing your opinion on the DacMagic. Appreciate it. I was considering this as an upgrade for my CDP, but there are other options, like getting my CDP modded, or just buy a better CDP. Will have to do some research and pick the brains of experts here; so in the mean time, will hold on to my CDP. Got the Graham Slee PSU-1 for my Novo recently, and now looking forward to add the Irukundji to my rig . :lol:

Ical: Yes...would love to listen to your new setup. Will find a time to visit your home... :))

kachui - get a better CD player :rolleyes:

I second Kidult's suggestion. :rclxms:

If you're listening thru CDs just get the best you can get which is still in a reasonable reach of your budget. If you have PC as source buy a good DAC!. :thumbup:

While the ipod or Imod has its seat on the Irukandji already. :grin:

Actually What pushed me to upgrade to Dac Magic is I still keep pulling out my IMod from my portable rig just to listen to my Desktop rig as the Zero+Irukjandji was <<< IMod+rukandji. :shocking:

The DacMagic lessend the imbalance alot as I now have a Clean source from my PC. =)

Edited by jojo_b2

wah

so many got their new toys aledi :D

i think next time the meet we have truly high end rigs to compare :D

latest impression of my dac-5, i wondered my ears r hearing wrong or my dac to irukanji is doing some magic to my cans?

i feeling i not listening to recorded playing anymore and it has been a lively and very open window experience for me

the music is much lively and more like hall accoustics and simply amazing to hear that track over and over again

best of all!, it is a hybrid dac for goodness sake and also the same performance as the monarchy M24 dac without the headamp section!

wah

so many got their new toys aledi :D

i think next time the meet we have truly high end rigs to compare :D

latest impression of my dac-5, i wondered my ears r hearing wrong or my dac to irukanji is doing some magic to my cans?

i feeling i not listening to recorded playing anymore and it has been a lively and very open window experience for me

the music is much lively and more like hall accoustics and simply amazing to hear that track over and over again

best of all!, it is a hybrid dac for goodness sake and also the same performance as the monarchy M24 dac without the headamp section!

Add a RR-77, your cans will sound like a big concert hall.

:grin:

http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/rr77/rr77_01.html

Edited by ical

Thanks, for your advice, Jojo, Kidult. That was what the person whom I approached to mod my CDP advised me as well. He recommended the Audio Cambridge 640C which he said is a great CDP at a great price. Will consider this my next upgrade but not so soon. Still need to recover from the CNY and recent upgrades. :no:

Edited by Kachui

lol :))

calvin i not printing money wer.... :sweat:

not now ler

got bigger things to aim for......... :thumbup:

Car, Harley, Condo, Club Membership, Yacht, Home Theatre...wife... :))

Thanks, for your advice, Jojo, Kidult. That was what the person whom I approached to mod my CDP advised me as well. He recommended the Audio Cambridge 640C which he said is a great CDP at a great price. Will consider this my next upgrade but not so soon. Still need to recover from the CNY and recent upgrades. :no:

640c is value for money CDP. but you need to do lot of tweaks to get the sound right...haha.. :think:

Car, Harley, Condo, Club Membership, Yacht, Home Theatre...wife... :))

it should be audio related :think::sweat:

Edited by kidult

640c is value or money CDP. but you need to do lot of tweaks to get the sound right...haha.. :think:

x2. Tried and tested. For it's price, it hard to beat. Dual dac too.

lol :))

calvin i not printing money wer.... :sweat:

not now ler

got bigger things to aim for......... :thumbup:

Beta 22? :whistle:

so many great images , i wanna join you ..

but.. :cans:

Welcome aboard. :rclxms:

Edited by ical

640c is value for money CDP. but you need to do lot of tweaks to get the sound right...haha.. :think:

Another $300-$500 to get it right? How much is the 640C going for now by the way? (it is ok to mention prices here, unlike the other forum, right? :unsure: )