Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

rant: Headphone amps are overrated

oh cool. how would one actually make an RCA-->headphone-jack adapter. what value pot would be suitable? yes.gif

Not too sure myself, have used them before, but have no idea about the schematics?

May be the DIYers in the forum can comment on it?

Firefox, care to comment?

Based on your initial post we assumed you went to the trouble to do exactly that!

This is quite interesting actually, assuming you meant directly from the source's RCA, wouldn't the result vary from different sources which essentially have differering line-out outputs from one another? Not to mention different headphones that will used for that matter? Unless the line-out has a significant signal output I didn't think it was feasible to be able to drive headphones directly even utilising a volume control which effectively is just a resistor.

It may well work on CDP but with other sources say a Turntable this is nearly impossible due to the extremely low signal output whereby a phono amp is required in the first place.

from what I read from jazz's posts, (lemme do a search later) its perfectly do-able. even the AKG501s (relatively inefficient) can be powered with sufficient loudness from the typical CDP RCA out. assuming that most CDPs have similar output levels (aren't they supposed to output at a certain line-level?)

I kinda extrapolated cos my soundcard (the Revo and now the RME) are supposed to output at line-out levels. is there some inherent circuitry or some technical aspect of it that makes a soundcard's output different from a CDP's output? I'd try with a CDP if I had one biggrin.gif

oh cool. how would one actually make an RCA-->headphone-jack adapter. what value pot would be suitable? yes.gif

Not too sure myself, have used them before, but have no idea about the schematics?

May be the DIYers in the forum can comment on it?

Firefox, care to comment?

aren't variable RCA outputs supposedly inferior to the regular invariable type?

schematic-wise: its basically just wiring a pot. no resistors, caps, or other stuff isn't it?

I'm not aware that there is a standard output between CDPs (PCDPs?) but I do recall that Cassette Decks, Tuners, CDP & TT all have different outputs.

maybe not PCDPs, but CDPs should output (at the RCAs) at approx the same levels, no? (lets not talk about other sources for now)

Ah I can only say I agree wholeheartedly with what adrian is saying. After spending soooo much money, the improvements I've gotten are some-what insignificant to my un-trained ears. A dedicated amp is not really necessary for some cans.

LONG LIVE PC SOUND. party.gif

bulkie: hehe. lets not offend anyone by highlighting "some cans" biggrin.gif

updated the first post with some some related head-fi posts on "the direct path"

maybe not PCDPs, but CDPs should output (at the RCAs) at approx the same levels, no? (lets not talk about other sources for now)

In that case you sweeping comment should now be edited to apply for CDPs/soundcards only as like I said it may not appliy to the other sources. wink.gif

Sorry, more specifically the first part of your thread title. It won't be the same for low output sources. The original signal has to be boosted in the first place in order to drive the headphones hence in this case it is not overrated but a necessity. I dunno, just my thoughts on it.

I have to admit I don't know too much technically about connecting straight from the RCA outputs of typical CDplayers, but others who've done it seem to not have too much problem with it. although as I said, I don't pretend to know the technical aspects of doing this sleep.gif anyway, thats not what I was ranting about. As I said, the PCDP and soundcard people would probably be more able to relate to what I said in the first post smile.gif

btw,

Jazz's original thread on the "direct-path"

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....ght=direct+path

With my DAC's line-out signal feeding a headphone directly, just attenuated by some resistors (or the potentiometer, respectively), the sound is more direct (not necessarily spacially), more accurate and also more meager and «dry» than with any of the comparative amps: X-Cans, EMP and Corda Blue. Details are more easily audible and clearer, especially in the treble (I think that's naturally the range where details are located). Each time an amp is in the signal path, the sound seems to gain in coherence and warmth, on the other hand lose some of the clarity, transparency, transient speed and resolution the puristic connection provides. The effect is very much the same independent of the headphone, but with different results in terms of my personal preferences.

now doesn't that sound like its at least worth a TRY? yes.gif

Ablaze: Congrats to U for having come to terms with the realm of things in this hobby called audiophilia. Personal standards differ and U've rightly highlighted the key point that not all are able to discern the subtle and finer aspects of sound and on this note, it makes no economic sense to spend on an ancillary just because of popularity and positive reviews. Unless one is fervent in his pursuit for maximum musical satisfaction at the expense of increased outlay, the thought of spending hundreds of bucks for that extra 10% improvement may or may not appeal to some.

Ultimately, the joy is not in the buying/selling of gears but what they bring forth to enjoyment of music. On this basis, software is vital. Now that U've settled down on your pair of CD3000 and sees no need for a headamp as the value-for-money factor is not attractive, I can only congratulate U as most in this hobby tends to go around in circle and losing money along the way to seek that elusive nirvana. I believe in this.......applies to investment too........."Know your entry and exit point" before commiting money into this hobby.

To date, I've encountered a few cdps with good sounding headphone sockets eg. Marantz CD63KI and CD7300. I told Sipher and Jason the same thing..........."Use your present cans direct from the cdp's socket as the need for an headamp is not pressing. Upgrade only if your ears have become more discernible and appreciate extra spending for the next level in sound quality."

Line output of cdp is often 2V but this is not a criterion. My MF A3CD emits 2.2V whilest EMC1 has 1.6V from single end output (RCA).

I have to admit I don't know too much technically about connecting straight from the RCA outputs of typical CDplayers, but others who've done it seem to not have too much problem with it. although as I said, I don't pretend to know the technical aspects of doing this sleep.gif anyway, thats not what I was ranting about. As I said, the PCDP and soundcard people would probably be more able to relate to what I said in the first post smile.gif

btw,

Jazz's original thread on the "direct-path"

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....ght=direct+path

With my DAC's line-out signal feeding a headphone directly, just attenuated by some resistors (or the potentiometer, respectively), the sound is more direct (not necessarily spacially), more accurate and also more meager and «dry» than with any of the comparative amps: X-Cans, EMP and Corda Blue. Details are more easily audible and clearer, especially in the treble (I think that's naturally the range where details are located). Each time an amp is in the signal path, the sound seems to gain in coherence and warmth, on the other hand lose some of the clarity, transparency, transient speed and resolution the puristic connection provides. The effect is very much the same independent of the headphone, but with different results in terms of my personal preferences.

now doesn't that sound like its at least worth a TRY? yes.gif

The following may not be relevant but just to share my personal experience in an experiment to bypass the pre-amp and hook up a Marantz CD6000ose cdp direct to the power amp.

With one link removed from the usual cdp > preamp > power amp > speakers setup, soundstaging, transparency and clarity improved by leaps and bounds...........good enough to cause dropped jaws. I actually posted this finding on www.audioreview.com; under Marantz CD6000ose review. However, the "nirvana" didn't last. After a couple of hours of listening, the "digital" garbage inherent in the signal began to hit me hard on the ears. The music became "noisy" and tiresome. Reverting to having a pre-amp as buffer, the aforementioned improved areas were negated but sound is actually warmer, cleaner and more musical.

Edited by Mackie

hey mackie smile.gif,

actually I'm a lil sad that headamps do so little for my ears. after all, buying and selling IS fun! hehe..I guess its the "thrill of the chase"..now I can't even justify buying some cool headamp to try out rolleyes.gif