Sign in to follow this  
heady

Sennheiser HD800 Launch

Hi guys,

Sennheiser organised a very cool launch experience for the HD800. So as not to spoil the fun for those still to go for their appointment, I will not say much about the event until Sat night. Sennheiser also request that no pictures be posted until after the Sat appointments.

Senn provided a nice collection of CDs for listening but I will suggest bringing your own more familiar CDs. Time was limited, as each person could listen for only 30 mins.

My quick opinion of the SQ:

- Very crisp sound, clean but not shrill nor bright. Good for extended listening, not fatiguing.

- Sound staging is adequate but not very wide.

- Felt it was neutral, transparent and revealing

- Lack warmth on voices but probably due to headphone amplifier used.

- Lack authority and slam on bass, may also be due to amplifier.

Comfort:

- light and gentle on ears

- no problem for spectacle wearers

Isolation:

- none, its an open design.

I am sure the others with a better skills than mine can post here with their opinions as soon as they have heard this headphones.

Edited by heady

- Sound staging is adequate but not very wide.

- Felt it was neutral, transparent and revealing

- Lack warmth on voices but probably due to headphone amplifier used.

Agreed on this 3 points, soundstaging was one of my first comments about the HD800 after I heard it.

Auditioning time was less than 30mins thou considering watching the video was part of the 30min. Cool video nevertheless.

Great meeting you, we same timeslot somemore. :grin:

Last time IE8 preview saw you before but didnt know you were heady until today. :doh:

Agreed on this 3 points, soundstaging was one of my first comments about the HD800 after I heard it.

Auditioning time was less than 30mins thou considering watching the video was part of the 30min. Cool video nevertheless.

Great meeting you, we same timeslot somemore. :grin:

Last time IE8 preview saw you before but didnt know you were heady until today. :doh:

Great meeting you too, hellfire. You must have wondered who's that ah pek. :))

the video is watched before liao included in the cd that came with the invitation. so i spent the time snapping photos instead. will be posting on my blog my experience later and copying over.

didn't know that senn has requested for photos not to be posted until saturday... but its just a few photos of me with the headphones on so i think i'll be putting it.

just got back, initial impression, sound abit liveless, live performances sounds good but just doesn't sound so alive to me.

imo, not a great improvement from hd650 in terms of cost ratio

just got back, initial impression, sound abit liveless, live performances sounds good but just doesn't sound so alive to me.

imo, not a great improvement from hd650 in terms of cost ratio

I believe the amp has something to do with it. Anyway, I will have my chance to check tomorrow. From head-fi the difference in having it balanced compared to single ended is said to be exponential. On Tubes single ended is another story. =)

Attached is a photo of the setup. A T+A CDP and Lehmann amp. The event is well arranged and listening environment setup is impressive - quite a pleasant surprise when I walked in.

On the good side, I found myself tempted to finish whole track before switching - a good sign of longer term satisfaction. Overall, the sound is pleasant and more neutral than the stock 650. Having heard the 650 stock on a Naim amp that's about same level as the Lehmann, I much prefer the 800.

However, the 650 with a good balanced cable on the RSA Raptor will provide a more spirited listening experience than what I heard on the 800. I suspect the Lehmann amp may be holding back the 800, but not sure if the Lehmann is not in the same league or the 800 is hard to drive.

I listens mainly to speakers, so no comment on soundstaging.

The mid range, esp vocals sounds quite fine, but I feel the treble and low mid is rather dry. Tonal balance seems fine to me. I would have like more harmonics to come through on instruments like flute & trumpet, these sounds a touch lifeless. Instruments like piano smears a little and cello bowing could have been more forceful and immediate.

Since I can't A/B, all my description will be from memory, so please take with a grain of salt.

post-4405-1244188718.jpg

after reading so many feedbacks, it seem to me that HD800 sounded pretty much similar to k70x, please note i am not saying they are the same, i mean some simiarities in the spectrums i guess.

so from the setup posted in the audition, i can quite surely say that HD800 need more than the Lehmann amp to drive. cos i have search so long for an amp that is able to satisfy k70x, so i believe hd800 need as much as if not more to make it perform beautifully.

and maybe somebody owning it already could begin testing with DV 337, 3322 or WA6? those amps that are known to drive k70x? and gradually move up the ladder to see if hd800 needs more?

just my humble opinions.

:P

Excellent experience for the launch. Senn has did a very good job in presentation. However, the system setup is a little let down for me. Thought the HD800 is very comfortable, it sound flat and lack dynamic. Maybe it just me. I believe it's due to the amp as it sound different from what I've heard in Japan which sound better. A sad case that shouldn't be overlooked for such a great launch.

Edited by ical

Excellent experience for the launch. Senn has did a very good job in presentation. However, the system setup is a little let down for me. Thought the HD800 is very comfortable, it sound flat and lack dynamic. Maybe it just me. I believe it's due to the amp as it sound different from what I've heard in Japan which sound better. A sad case that shouldn't be overlooked for such a great launch.

Holiday mood in Japan or perhaps it was the pretty salesgirl? :wub:

Business trip leh though salesgirls is :drool: But there's babes for this launch too. :bash: Forgotten to ask for their names. :call: The nice lady with permed hair. Help me to ask when you're there. :grin:

Edited by ical

Business trip leh though salesgirls is :drool: But there's babes for this launch too. :bash: Forgotten to ask for their names. :call: The nice lady with permed hair. Help me to ask when you're there. :grin:

Nvr say earlier :grin: Interesting they had so many of of them there considering the small numbers.

The launch was really excellent. Full marks for the effort, cool is an understatement. The headphone was excellent too.

1. Very neutral in tonality. Some might find it cold, but I thought it was excellent.

2. Somewhat lacking in deep bass and high extension, though that is probably due to the amp.

3. Comfort was superb, cups were large and comfy.

4. Soundstage accurate, but not wide.

5. Speed seemed a bit lacking, the can seem to be struggling with fast piano passages. This though might again be due to the amp.

Overall will give it 8/10. It is an excellent can, but... stax is still better :grin:

Edited by peanutbutterjam

has a been great experience for me :D

one of the ppl there were very accommodating and friendly

from my early impression, hd800 is somehow similar to akg 701 with more better refined highs and lows and with senheiiser soundsignature without any veil

1. neutral,transparent and less warm than hd650

2.The highs are very refined than my akg 701 and bass is much more controlled and tight

3.Comfortable wise = 1 of the best headset i wore during the audition, big, comfortable and very easy on the ears

4.Weight=of all my 3 cans i owned, these are the lightest headcan i ever wore and doesnt put any stress on my neck

5.Soundstage= very accurate but less wider due equipment and amps... :D must try with my accoustic revival RR-77 and my powercords for extreme experience :grin:

6.Speed= I found it to be faster than my hd650 and akg 701 but speed as same as my beyer, but somehow like peanut said still struggling with some complex passage when i played my favorite orchestra music ....amp is not sufficient to drive it yet...

PS.I might get it if i sold all my 3 cans lol :whistle:

Here are two photos I took of the HD800 at the launch.

Senn_HD800___1.jpg

Senn_HD800___2.jpg

Just came back from the event..

Very friendly peoples there..help out me a lot..

Outcome is a satisfied customer. Thank you Senn Asia.

The amp there is I believe, not suitable for HD800..Dry on Mids and High..

But in my home with my NX-03, it sounds better! (You know what that means)