Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

PPA builders' thread

To use a DC power supply, wire the DC jack to pads V+ & V-. Use a nice diode across the diode pad. You'd want to have a nice 24v, linear regulated power supply that's capable of near 1 amp for this. And it better be of good quality.

I don't think you can supply direct AC to the PPA.

I haven't seen any audio component (CDs, amps and etc) that uses AC direct to power up it's components. I think it's because that since AC is in waveform when viewed using a oscilloscope (sine wave perhaps), this will greatly alter the sound.

Hi Guys- That's my PPA in the pic above. The PS caps (red cans) are Cerafine 470uF, the small box caps are Wima 1uf MKP2, and the OPAs are Burr Brown 627s. For now, anyway. I hope to have my 8610s on browndog adapters soon, too many things to do. I will post another pic with the PS I intend on using with this bench-testing rig, essentially a half of the PS1-type that Welborne carries. I'm going to mount this on a very non-fancy piece of lumber with rubber feet on the bottom!

Hi voodoochile! welcome.gif

thanks for joining us!

I was asking tangent some questions and he was recommending the 637s for the left/right channels, and the 627s for the ground. you gonna try that too? yes.gif

err dumb question n way off topic...

wats a ppa? portable pre amp?

Acronym for: PPL's Portable Amplifier

PPL is the guy who designed the amp.

actually I was asking if the PPA can take AC direct. (not AC-->regulated DC)

thats not do-able?

No, you can't directly couple AC into the PPA board. However, you can integrate an AC to DC regulated power supply in the same enclosure as the PPA board for an AC powered amp. =)

ok forget that question since I got that Teletron 24v DC psu now. wink.gif

update: I got my PPA boards today! crazylaugh.gif

My PPA board also came yesterday. party.gif

I can't wait for Jason's mass buy.. Will probably go to Farnell counter this sat morning.. and Koba in the afternoon, provided I still have the energy (I'm a old man).

hehe, I heck-it and got my 12buffers awhile ago already. blush.gif

I still need to get those 1uf box caps..other than that, I should be good to go!

Hi voodoochile! welcome.gif

thanks for joining us!

I was asking tangent some questions and he was recommending the 637s for the left/right channels, and the 627s for the ground. you gonna try that too? yes.gif

The OPA637s are my favorites, so I might just do that. The 627s are very nice also. I will have to try the AD8610s as well. I have never really been a fan of them in the METAs, but they might be totally different in this amp.

I like this smiley... beer.gif