Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

PPA builders' thread

argh. desoldering's such a pain-in-the-ass compared to soldering. I damaged one of the box caps. should I remove it? dry.gif

post-2-1062902333.jpg

ok. sorta wired everything up.

had to use one opamp rail instead of separate rails for each channel cos I didn't get enough 5486s. argh.

so tied R,L V+ V- to ground V+ V-

destroyed 2 TLE rail splitters trying to desolder them. ordered some more from TI tongue.gif

now. the testing phase. argh. somebody hold my hand. I'm afraid to power the bugger up! panic.gif

ok. sorta wired everything up.

had to use one opamp rail instead of separate rails for each channel cos I didn't get enough 5486s. argh.

so tied R,L V+ V- to ground V+ V-

destroyed 2 TLE rail splitters trying to desolder them. ordered some more from TI tongue.gif

now. the testing phase. argh. somebody hold my hand. I'm afraid to power the bugger up! panic.gif

Be careful of the TLE2426P, I destroyed mine (and it went up in smoke too) after I accidentally reverse powered my META which I have not implemented the reverse voltage protection yet. wacko.gif

Desoldering is such a pain.

Regards

CK

I'm wondering where to start troubleshooting the lack of power now..hmm..

The power supply section? Refer to the schematic and trace bit by bit? smile.gif Check for dry joints, etc as well.

Regards

CK

argh. desoldering's such a pain-in-the-ass compared to soldering. I damaged one of the box caps. should I remove it? dry.gif

Superficial wound.. Usually still OK..

argh. desoldering's such a pain-in-the-ass compared to soldering. I damaged one of the box caps. should I remove it?  dry.gif

Superficial wound.. Usually still OK..

yeah I checked via eric343's method

It looks like you melted through to the internal metal plates. Remove the cap, short the leads, and check it with a DMM's continuity tester/ohmmeter function to make sure it isn't shorted. What you should see is that the resistance of the capacitor goes up over a short period of time, and gets reset when you short the leads. If the resistance stays low or reads <1ohm, toss the cap. If the resistance is immeasurably high *immediately* after shorting the leads (doesn't climb at all), then toss the cap. Otherwise, it's fine.

still alive!

jt! help me troubleshoot my amp! blush.gif