Sign in to follow this  
Blues

AKG K1000 !

Gees..........I read from Headroom that K1000s need 7W to sound at their best. I might have to fall back on my spare Carver TFM-45 power amp and use the Cayin as a pre-amp to drive this cans if I were to get it.

Btw, what's the shipping cost of US-SIN, US$20-50? The latest sale price on Headroom is very enticing.

Edited by Mackie

mackie, the shipping cost is about there.

naz, counter offer? biggrin.gif

I will think about it.. still need to get a very powerful amp to drive it... sad2.gif

have to consider all the $$ sad2.gif

Blues, why not consider an integrated amp of about $300 to drive the K1000? Keep the Corda for CD3000. In doing so, U'll just need a pair of speakers to complete 2 systems.

New Rotels are available at this budget and U may consider getting used amps for those of higher playing field.

By the way, what is all this 'team' stuff? N3w_Typ3, I notice your signature says team anime. I love anime! Does that mean I can join? Will I have to do all sorts of enrolment rituals? 'Crossing the desert of pain' and 'The fall of faith' etc.. tongue.gif

yo hi ... hmm you also like anime then welcome you to join my family lol.giflol.gif there no need to have rituals ... la .... lol.giflol.giflol.gif if there is anime you wanna know sleep.gif please check out the website link i have place on my profile w00t.gif and you can go leech anime that my family have produce .... laugh.giflaugh.gif

mackie: yeah I will be looking into that later.

Actually I am planning to get something like berning or maybe rkv(in my dreams! tongue.gif) so that I can drive both cd3k and akgk1000. If I were to get an integrated that means I will have more gears lying around.. not necessarily a bad thing, but I would prefer to keep it at minimum laugh.gif

That cool and happy to hear that from you w00t.gifkicking.gif or else ... haha .. going for HA-2 liao ! lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Shipping for the K1000 from headroom will be about US$43 if it has not changed. Might be slightly less going to SG as that was quoted for shipping to Brunei.

You don't really need a powerful amp per say, my ex Naim Nait 2 had 15 wpc & could drive it to extremely loud levels. This is where system synergy is of the upmost importance as it's performance will be reflected in the characteristics of sound in the chain.

Don't use a solid state amp with the K1000 unless you also have the Stefan AudioArt cable!

The K1000 really shows up the 'Hiisssk' and sibilant effects of transistor amps. I have not tried the AudioArt cable, but in reviews I have read that it makes it possible to use a transistor amp. But the cable is very expensive.

www.stefanaudioart.com/K1000Cable.html

The important thing is not the power but the voltage of an amps outputs. I believe the minimum of 8watts or so is if you are going to use an amp with 8ohm outputs. You see if you have an amp designed for a low impedance like that then it will not output a lot of volts. So you need a fair amount of watts to get the needed voltage. However if you have an amp with high voltage outputs to start with, such as an OTL Valve amp (about 30-45volts). Then you really only need a small amount of watts. I don?t quite know the maths but I would say 500mW would be ample if you have a 40Volt output. Because the important factor is the voltage, not the power. As can be seen by looking at the MG head OTL 32 which is designed for the K1000 but only has an output of 18mW!

I hope this is not too confusing. I find it a bit hard to get my head round as well!

Edited by Tenson

N@Z,

Please post more about the AKG K-1000.

Tenson,

If u cld do likewise.

I'm just a curious cat and am thinking about this rather expensive headphone myself.

I think I posted before on Tenson's thread before he got a pair. I'll try to dig that up.

N@Z,

I mean a more indepth review or extensive impressions. You lived with it for some time man. What were the -ves and +ves compared to your other headphones you have.

Don't use a solid state amp with the K1000 unless you also have the Stefan AudioArt cable!

The K1000 really shows up the 'Hiisssk' and sibilant effects of transistor amps. I have not tried the AudioArt cable, but in reviews I have read that it makes it possible to use a transistor amp. But the cable is very expensive.

www.stefanaudioart.com/K1000Cable.html

The important thing is not the power but the voltage of an amps outputs. I believe the minimum of 8watts or so is if you are going to use an amp with 8ohm outputs. You see if you have an amp designed for a low impedance like that then it will not output a lot of volts. So you need a fair amount of watts to get the needed voltage. However if you have an amp with high voltage outputs to start with, such as an OTL Valve amp (about 30-45volts). Then you really only need a small amount of watts. I don?t quite know the maths but I would say 500mW would be ample if you have a 40Volt output. Because the important factor is the voltage, not the power. As can be seen by looking at the MG head OTL 32 which is designed for the K1000 but only has an output of 18mW!

I hope this is not too confusing. I find it a bit hard to get my head round as well!

Good info.......the maths >> power (W) = V (voltage) x I (current)

In your case, I is the fixed parameter.

Rameish, I also gave my impressions in another thread. Bare in mind I am probably a bit biased as I own a pair! But to be honest the only things they have against them in my view are:

1.They have a strict criteria for amps

2.They don't have amazingly extended bass. What bass they do have, they do very well.

3. They have no isolation.

"........ I was suggested the AKG K1000(£460). I got them mail order knowing I could send them back if I was displeased. I am unbelievably glad I tried them! They are the best headphones I have ever heard. The actual 'sound quality' is far better than any speaker (within reason.)

With a centre vocal the sound appears roughly 5 inches in front of the face, rather than inside the head like ALL other headphones*see below* I have tried. The rest of the soundstage is spread right round the head and stops a bit behind the ears. With ALL other headphones I have tried the soundstage is either left, centred in the head or right.

Compared to my speakers which are Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10's (£800) The soundstage is danm similar! The area between centre and the left right is less accurately pin-pointed but are still strongly present. The size also seems about the same. Although its smaller, because it is so much closer it appears the same.

In terms of transparency they are in a world of their own. With a good recording such as Norah Johns it can sometimes be pretty freaky as the sound just comes from nowhere all around you with pin point accuracy, in perfect quality and detail. To me it feels like wrapping myself up in a blanket of perfect sound The same pin point accurate soundstage is still their with speakers but just doesn?t have the wrapping your self up factor

Basically if you like the way speakers present music, AKG K1000 are a MUST MUST MUST try!

They NEED at least 3days of full burn-in and also a good amp. They need a proper stereo speaker amp. I am happy using my Cyrus, but on some recordings it can come off as a bit too bright. If I had the money I'd get a valve amp.

**Grado RS1 (£600)

Grado RS2 (£450)

STAX something (£450)

Senn HD 600 (£180)

Other cheap ones.. "

Edited by Tenson

OK.....after a brief levitation from my ground of common sense, I reckon I should listen to my speakers rig if I were to pursue a K1000 which tries to emulate the away-from-head soundstaging.