ablaze

it's here!

nah nah..no reviews. I have neither the vocabulary nor the ears. wub.gif

but I think suffice to say that the X-cans were a nice match for me, the EMP just does everything a lil better headphone.gif

a 'lil' better?

hm... then I don't think the price is justifiable by the performance right?(to think orig price is 600 us dollar)

or maybe it's because your source is holding it back..?

possible?

sheez dude. you can't take my word for it.

there's no absolute scale for sound quality unfortunately. so whats 10% improvement to me, may be 30% to you, and vice versa. You have to listen for yourself. I'm just choosing to use a conservative estimate smile.gif

Congrats ablaze, I nearly burst keeping your secret!

Were all dying to hear comparisons. It doesn't have to be something detailed. What you can do on one of your non studying days. Making sure both amps & gear have been warmed up. Listen to the X cans on a few CDs you are familiar with, jot down what you like about the sound, what you notice like instruments, vocals, is it harss, natural etc etc. It can just even be just phrases or single adjective words. Then swap over to the EMP using the same gear & CDs, then listen if you hear any difference, something you didn't notice before, compare your notes. It can be something fun to do too. Make sure you are not distracted like doing some work or reading. Best is to lay back on your easy chair close your eyes & immerse yourself in the music. This is the sort of gear where if you got yourself a dedicated source you will hear night & day differences.

Before you start investing in tubes for tuberolling, give yourself time to aclimatize to the sonic signature of the stock tubes. Then only you can notice whether the tubes you've replace makes a difference or not. I wouldn't be surprised though if we hear you getting bargain NOS or premium used tubes! laugh.gif

P.s. R10's are supposed to be the best cans for the EMP! If you get a bargain on that I'll eat my RS-1's yellow earpads!

a 'lil' better?

hm... then I don't think the price is justifiable by the performance right?(to think orig price is 600 us dollar)

or maybe it's because your source is holding it back..?

possible?

Yeap, to some people who have better or trained ears, a change of amp may have a very big difference to them. Slightly deeper bass and wider soundstage may signify 30%. But to some who have not trained their ears, they might think that its a waste of money.

'What I spent US$400 and got this in return? Just more bass and soundstage only wat??'

Wow N@Z quite a good guide on how to write reviews. How come I don't see any from you? tongue.gif

N@Z:

lol. now tell me, how DID you find out anyway? you must've seen my reply to that guy's ad at headwize right blush.gif

can't do the comparison though, cos the X-cans aren't with me anymore! tongue.gif sorry..detailed comparisons are too tedious for me. i prefer to just enjoy what I have instead wink.gif

we should have a meet soon..then you all can form your own impressions happy.gif

sure.. this time in your house, ablaze? smoke.gif

evil zen:

Let me sing it to you... IIIIIIIII'mmm wicked & I'm Layyyyyyyyyzeeeeeee (© Xpress feat. David Bryne). Jokingly aside, my excuse is I never felt the need to post reviews that others have done ad nauseum. Although I would agree that it would be MY impressions that makes the difference, thing is they're pretty much the same. I would be willing to do something as long as someone asks for something specific but bare in mind I can only make them based on my limited equipment experience & the equipment that I do own & the music I have. So it may or may not be of much use to anyone.

ablaze:

Yup guilty! I just put 2 & 2 together. I hear yah man, no pressure.

N@Z,

Just saw your PM, as you can see, he has already announced it to everybody.

Looking through his comments, probably the EMP has only improved the sound by perhaps 5%, so I think he will definitely tuberoll, especially since the previous owner had the EMP for about three years.

Something about tubes, what does it meant by matched tubes and is it necessary to match all 3 tubes then?

ooh..sharing secrets behind my back eh? dry.gif hehe

yep. the EMP hasn't blown me away. its not that much different from the x-cans to me. I was expecting to be totally blown away by the "tubey" "liquidy" sound of the EMP..but till now..I'm still not overwhelmed by the difference. but a tuberoll with the Sylvania Golds is supposed to bring that out. waiting for upscaleaudio to get back to me.

anyway, its ok, cos i didn't have to pay much more than the X-cans either smoke.gif

i think both my output tubes will have to be matched. and the dual triodes within the input tube have to be matched with each other. from what I understand happy.gif

No secrets ablaze, N.O. PMd me asking how to change his custom title + something about your 'new' amp. I guess we both had the same guess.