Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

DT431

Mat recommends me 4 days to ensure full burn in.

but does it burn in faster with the XLO burn in track, at all? I'm using that.

Edited by lekguan

4 days continuously should be enough. Play with all kinds of music

The XLO burn-in track does not serve to accelerate the process but to ensure getting the job done over a wider aural freq response and at a constant time cycle. When the burn-in process is completed, used track 7 and 8 (if my memory serves me right) to *demagnetize* the cans and also your equipment.

Edit: amended from degauss

Edited by Mackie

the 2 demag tracks?

But well, this sentence from the description by the CD made me think it speeds up, somthing that goes playing the CD through will not spoil your equipment, it will just slow down to burn in process.

My K1000 took more than 1 week with the sheffield Labs Burn in CD.

Like blues have highlighted, one needs to play different genres of music to run in a certain gear but a dedicated burn-in track will help to avert having to switch discs to obtain wide coverage of the freq spectrum during burn-in period. U may say it's less time consuming this way. Ultimately, I use the 100-hour as a benchmark before I start my listening session.

Edited by Mackie

Would there be any detrimental effects to the older gear if I use the Burn in CD over a long period of time? Say my CDP source?

Naz, in actual fact, the burn-in cd should be a boon instead. It's recommended to demagnetize/degauss and play the burn-in track on your existing system once a while. I give mine a dose every month.

Like anything N@Z, the lazer head has a limited life span. I think this is your concern - right?

Although Mackie is quite right in saying the demag sweep tracks will bring the sound back to the optimal level, there is also some wear and tear to the CDP's lazer head when using the burn-in tracks. IMO, it's better to have the wear n tear. Also, equipment that is used frequently tend not to break down. ie chances are it'll reach the 10,000 hour lifespan (some heads have 5,000 hours only). The above figures are for Pioneer DVD players. The cheaper Pioneer players came with 5,000 hours while the more ex came with 10,000. So I may be wrong on this about CDP players. It's just a guide anyways.

150 hours or so is just a small percentage. If that still concerns you then get a cheap CDP to do the burn-in. But I suspect it would be far cheaper to buy and keep a replacement lazer head.

Replacement heads are rather inexpensive (unless your repairman has the shop sign "rip-off-r-us". Some prices of lenses CDM 4-19 (S$50), VAM 1201 (S$20 or S$25). Others, I don't know for sure but are usually in the 20 to 40 price category. There are exception of course like the CDM 4-19 and CDM-9 which are more expensive. BTE CDM 4-19 prices have gone up but are still les than S$80 (NOS lah so what to do).

Hope this served to clarify any doubts.

Thanks for both the clarification. Over here I'd be lucky if anyone is willing to carry out the laser replacement. "Rip-off-r-us" applies if they do.

eh memory pads? And to think I turn those pads around once it a while so that some parts get more use. maybe i should stop my itchy fingers.

congrats lekguan, sounds like you have attained a 'higher' level and begin to appreciate the finer points of hifi. I also agree with you that the ex70 and acs 48 (father of acs 621) has too much bass! in fact for the acs 48, bass dial was only turned to about 8 o'clock and the bass is too heavy and sloppy. another thing similar with the beyer 880 is that they too sound slightly distant for my tastes but maybe because the etys have influenced me on how soundstage should be presented.

i forsee further scoldings from mum for overspending of $$$ on audio related stuff.

Oh shh, don't say. I haven;t told my mom I bought this. biggrin.gif Will tell when time is right. cool.gif Now I can only use these during the day when she's not at home.

I seem to like the laidback sound. Leaves you very light hearted after listening, and you won't get tired after extended listening. Well, but I've not seen others (or rather heard) so I won't conclude anything until I hear them (during the meet).

congratz that you like it lek!

Maybe time to change your progile to 'team beyer' soon? biggrin.gif

after the meet cookie, I don't want to conclude too early

I just tested out with my old collection of MP3s. When I listen to songs I find sound bad, I check, they are all 128Kbps. 192 is fine, but if compared with 256, can still hear some difference. So its not psychoacoustics here.

Edited by lekguan

strangely my mp3s sound quite nice out of the etys..

funny huh huh.gif