Gouki

What music do you use to break in?

Why do you need an audition with headphones? Almost every audio shop in Singapore do not present display headsets for people to try, and if they did, you couldn't really test them fully (some may not even be broken in).

Not if I can have my way and I will always abide by this principle before commiting in a buy. I've not bought anything (even down to interconnects/power cords) that I've not auditioned. The trick is always to ascertain retailers about this :- no trial, no deal. His loss, not mine. Sometimes I do encounter resistance and it will only keep my spending in check for I'll never relent unless the concerned product is easily resold or negligible in cost.

Edited by Mackie

Couldn't you try BLUES headset or some of the other members in Singapore?

That was what I meant. Anyway, no worries as I will have the opportunity in the forthcoming meet in Jan. I think U've misunderstood I'm keen to try your set.

Blues, thanks for your offer. party.gif

Edited by Mackie

Did that apply to the DT250 & DT150 as well?

hi,

have some qns for you guys to help me ans..thanx in advance...

1)do earphones need break in as well?....do they sound better after that?

2)does breaking in always reduces the base ?...as in not as much base as before?

3)does all headphones/earphones whether cheap or expensive need break in or only works wonders for the expensive ones?

ps:sorry if it souns pretty dumb

Generally burning-in, breaking-in, running in,

1. Yes, breaking in normally resluts in the headphones loosening up from brand new. Think of it like a brand new car requiring an initial minimum of 1,000 km of gentle running in then gradually increasing the load to the next 5,000 km so on & so forth.

2. Breaking in usually loosens tight bass, more bass extension. If there is alot of bass in the first place, it normally won't go the other direction. However muddy/wooly bass sound could tighten up slightly. Harsh sound will also smoothen out.

3. All headphones/earphones/canalphones benefit from burning-in regardless of cost.

Note that the amount of change varies from one headphone to another, the sonic character of the headphones in question & sometime all it does is get's you used to the new sound & as time goes by you grow to like it or otherwise. My experience here is from the mere Senn MX400 to the exotic AKG K1000 (which took the longest).

Why do you need an audition with headphones? Almost every audio shop in Singapore do not present display headsets for people to try, and if they did, you couldn't really test them fully (some may not even be broken in).

Not if I can have my way and I will alway abide by this principle before commiting in a buy. I've not bought anything (even down to interconnects/power cords) that I've not auditioned. The trick is always to ascertain retailers about this :- no trial, no deal. His loss, not mine. Sometimes I do encounter resistance and it will only keep my spending in check for I'll never relent unless the concerned product is easily resold or negligible in cost.

Last time I was in Singapore, I had to study a lot of reviews before making an expensive purchase only because the dealers would not let me try this and that, or were beating around the bush.

I don't regret buying the Senns. but I bought another one hoping to overcome the lack of bass/power and it didn't satisfy me. I won't name that shop, but it was difficult getting expert advice (more like "get this one lah, get that one lah, same mah!").

But yeah, if you can try stuff before buying, why not? Why don't dealers in Singapore have display models like those in Japan?

Did that apply to the DT250 & DT150 as well?

Are u directing the question to moir? Yes sir, I did. I ordered my pair of DT150 only after hearing the demo set.

But yeah, if you can try stuff before buying, why not? Why don't dealers in Singapore have display models like those in Japan?

Haizz.........that's why sales service in Japan is superior in this part of the world. We are miles and miles behind in this aspect.

Edited by Mackie

hi,

have some qns for you guys to help me ans..thanx in advance...

1)do earphones need break in as well?....do they sound better after that?

2)does breaking in always reduces the base ?...as in not as much base as before?

3)does all headphones/earphones whether cheap or expensive need break in or only works wonders for the expensive ones?

ps:sorry if it souns pretty dumb

1. I think breaking-in headphones/earphones warms them up (loosens the tightness of the bass, balances mid and highs), but earphones would be to a lesser extent because their speakers/drivers are smaller.

2. Bass on some new headphones may sound stiff which may result in being lacking or muddy. Loosening up the bass will help it produce the characteristics that the manufacturer's R&D was trying to achieve.

3. I think any headphones the size of mine would definitelly need to be broken-in (hahah!!), just as long as they have large ear speakers, they need breaking in.

My Sonys are making me smile! All that time of breaking-in and not being able to listen to music earlier has made me so much more appreciative of it.

hey glad that you like the sony gouki! happy.gif

The Team CD3000 is going strong party.gif

Yup interstation noise is best if you don't have a burn in disc. Howver do listen to it from time to time as sometimes it goes silent. Also I would now recommend a minimum burn-in period of 150 hours. 1st 2 days at low volumes, 2nd 2 days at nornal volumes and 3rd 2 days at slightly higher then normal volumes. (I persoanlly use 300 hours as a benchmark).

Edited by Rameish

Yup interstation noise is best if you don't have a burn in disc. Howver do listen to it from time to time as sometimes it goes silent. Also I would now recommend a minimum burn-in period of 150 hours. 1st 2 days at low volumes, 2nd 2 days at nornal volumes and 3rd 2 days at slightly higher then normal volumes. (I persoanlly use 300 hours as a benchmark).

Thanks Rameish,

I actually read your review about burning-in headphones, it really helped.

I think it would also help if you could also recommend the kind of music people can use to break in their phones. I didn't even know about EVO or break-in soundtracks that I could've used. I tried to look for it on Kazaa as well blush.gif

Gouki, everyone has this indicator. Those who misbehaved will have a "sticker" added to his "warn gauge".