Sign in to follow this  
zap

Which current pcdp is worth amping?

Hi All

Please advice on which current portable pdp is worth spending more $ on an amp to it? Or is it worth it on any current models at all?

I'd prefer to use an amp with a full fledge cdp as a basic model from Marantz or Rotel etc will sound better than a pcdp. If U have no intention to embark on this course, I have certain high regards for Pannie CLT790 of contemporary makes and Sony D777 of recent years.

If you have alot of cash to spare, amping a pcdp is not a problem.

but if you're on tight budget, finding a good pcdp with great headphone out will do the trick. Models that mackie mentioned above are good enough . Besides, I believe when going out, there's already too much noise outside so the sound quality doesn't really matter. For me I just want to be able to hear the music.

For me amping a portable player defeats the purpose of portability, to be honest. I would recommend getting a good PCDP that has got a strong headphone out and be done with wink.gif

It's all down to your personal criteria & preferences be it musically &/or gadget count tolerances.

Your query is a little open ended as we don't know what headphones you intend to use it with & that will have some affect on whether you need amping or not.

Contrary to popular belief current PCDPs do have good sound quality. Not all do but how good it is will be based on what people compare it with & how critical their preferences are. I do agree though that unamped most PCDPs sound acceptable to mediocre but amped it is generally above average or good.

As it is I am quite happy with my slowly ageing Sony D-EJ925 amped with a META42 or Porta Corda II using etymotics er-4s & sometimes the Beyer DT250. I don't have a problem with portability as I don't use it on the move rather I carry it when I travel & use it when I've reached my destination. On a brighter side, hopefully & 'Xin-willing' my SuperMicro will eventually be in my ownership & my PCDPs portability factor will improved significantly without sacrificing sound quality.

Good luck!

N@Z, Xin called for MORE patience from you when I emailed him recently. laugh.gif

Thank you all for your insightful and quick replies, it's great to have responsive forumers here. And pardon me for this noob question.

From my very limited 'hifi' experience, amping a source usually produces better SQ, and good SQ is my first criteria. My second and equally important criteria is semi-portability as this is intended to use in the office. So far, i'm still considering a normal cdp (bulky), to mini-hifi (denon dm31 is well reviewed, but not sure of the headphone out, anyone has any experience?), and to pcdp. Once I had straightened out all this, I'll then geta suitable cans for that system. I hope that is a logical approach wacko.gif

cool .... hmm i was intending to amp my pcdp ... soon .... it may sound better .... though .... laugh.gifhappy.gifwub.gif

N@Z, Xin called for MORE patience from you when I emailed him recently. laugh.gif

Is he building me up for an Xmas special? w00t.gif You never know, there might be an update by then!

Zap, the Denon might be a good option for you at the office (unless you need it for at home as well). It's bigger therefore less 'nickable'. Plus adhoc seems to like it. Even if the headphone out doesn't work out, you could always add a dedicated headphone amp later.

i read a couple of threads in head-fi that most hifi headphone outs are shoehorned into the design as a final or last minute spec...more like and afterthought so sound quality from there may not be good.

Zap, i think it would be wise for you to read through the threads first to consider what kind of headphones u like. Some require an amp to even get sound while most will work well without one due to differences in impedance and efficencies of each headphone. Plus each headphone as a signature sound so what suits us may not suit you and there is also the matter of getting the right synergy of matching yer system and headphones and music to suit your tastes.

I use protable amp for DT770... HAHAHAHA

Erhem. Amp those cans that are very hard to drive using PDCP, normal one like KSC-35 should be fine without amp.

I m using d777->PX200/KSC50/V700DJ/HD200 unamp, at office. They all sound fantastic 2 me as the D777 kinda match all the mentioned HPs will ease. Get a good PCDP with solid headphone out, i would suggest. happy.gif

Agree.......GIGO applies. U can't go too wrong with a good sounding pcdp/cdp at the fore. The rest will take place naturally. If U prefer to go amp-less for now, buy a pair of cans/buds with friendly impedance and then move on to better cans once U have an amp capable of driving difficult loads.