FookLai

Looking for new headphone

Hi all,

This is my first post in the main forum smile.gif I am using Grado SR60 and found it is very good even compare to my pre power and speaker setup..... Rcently I bought a Iriver IFP 140TC so now looking for a portable headphone to pair with it. I am concern for following things:

1) size. Very important due to I need to carry around and put inside pocket when it is not using, prefer can folder one....

2) sound. Needless to say, I hope something to come close to my Grado SR60 but I know it is quite impossible....

3) style. At least looks not too bad because have to carry around...

My current shortlisted headphone are Sennheiser PX200 and 100. Already post WTB thread in classified but in the meanwhile also want to know what guys have in mind to suit my purpose.... Thanks a lot for your input...

Fook Lai

And did anyone of you compare the PX100, 200 and 250 before? The difference is great and worth the price difference?

Fook Lai

can consider dt 231 [$89] too, or MX500 [$33]

need it to be foldable, quite few choices lah...

PX200 is the only one out of the 3 you mentioned that is closed, but i think its quite ex

me also own a SR60, looking for portable phones too

SR60 cannot make it outdoors

actually equivalent closed headphones in the same class of SR60 is the MDR-V6 aka MDR-7506

but using these on a tiny iRiver receiver....plus its coiled cord...

btw, how's the sound of the iRiver IFP 140TC?

if i'm not mistaken, this version is 64MB rite?

can the radio recording be uploaded back to the PC?

and in what format?

sorry for asking so many questions

can consider dt 231 [$89] too, or MX500 [$33]

need it to be foldable, quite few choices lah...

PX200 is the only one out of the 3 you mentioned that is closed, but i think its quite ex

me also own a SR60, looking for portable phones too

SR60 cannot make it outdoors

actually equivalent closed headphones in the same class of SR60 is the MDR-V6 aka MDR-7506

but using these on a tiny iRiver receiver....plus its coiled cord...

btw, how's the sound of the iRiver IFP 140TC?

if i'm not mistaken, this version is 64MB rite?

can the radio recording be uploaded back to the PC?

and in what format?

sorry for asking so many questions

Beyerdynamic dt 231 and sony MDR-V6 looks very big in the picture to me, can they be foldered?

The sound of iRiver IFP 140TC not bad, it actually depend on the quality of the mp3 you store inside not the player. Yes, it is 64MB version. The radio recording can upload to PC, I havent tried so dont know what format. Anymore recommendation? All welcome smile.gif

Fook Lai

The recent hoo haa about the eggos are to be considered. These to me look very cool. Headphone origami when folded up looks so cute. However these won't fit into any pocket. Ablaze got me these for a mere +$93 (gst included). After running them in for about 20 hours the sound transfromed significantly. It was no longer harsh & bright. Bass is also improved. Contrary to other people's comments, I find the bass quite ample goes down low & is quite tight. This is my initial assessment using my portable (amped) system. Unamped from my powerbook they are much better than the RS-1! But that is an unfair comparison. For such a small pair of headphones they sound bigger, a bit like the KSC35's but remember this is a near closed headphones (there are holes located where the chrome discs are). The difference is that the 'eggs' sound quite airy. Not as much as the Senn HD600 but impressive none the less.

Surprisingly too, the enclosures though small fit perfectly over my ears. I think the way the drivers are angled inside the enclosures allow the ear loobes to fit in nicely. I would like to have more time listening to them as so far actual listening time is only 2 hours. The only criticism I have (a minor one at that) the mids is slightly recessed at the moment. I'm hoping that will improve with more burn in time and I get more accustom to the sound. I want to see how much detail it can produce compared to the etys which I use in this system.

Although I have not heard the other headphones mentioned here. I certainly think these will give a serious run for the money especially if the eggos end up being cheaper. The Senn MX500 is not in the same league.

hm... very hard, it's a cross between style, sound, portability

I would really recommend a koss ksc-55. behind neckstyle from koss, nice song, same as ksc-35.

I would love to recommend you the mdr-v6, but I am not sure if they are stylo..

I think you would definately look better with ksc-55 on than any other phones...

unless you are willing to sacrifice the style , I can recommend you quite a few, like the eggos d66, mdr v6,beyer dt250-80(this one rocks for mp3!!).

Personally I have only heard the dt250-80. They cost ard 280. I was using it out of my iriver slimx headphone jack.. very nice, warm sound, punchy bass, smooth treble. Mp3 encoded at 128kbps doesn't show any harshness, all tamed.

Vocal rocks with this baby!!!!

Hmm... to me cutting edge style and great sound hardly ever come together, and to throw pocket portability into the mix... phew, tall order!

I second the Sony Eggos - though I have yet to hear them, people whose tastes I trust do recommend it and Sony's style and design are pretty much the tops.

Thumbs down for the PX200; thin, hollow (I think you need to have a certain outer ear shape to get it to fit and sound properly); ZERO isolation. Hated it so much I gave it to a friend.

The PX100 sounds totally different from the 200; similar to the Portapro, but with more recessed mids.

The Sony Eggos have got the sound and the style for just the right price (S$93 that is, got "conned" at S$148). Unfortunately, they are not small enough to fit into the pocket, unless of course you happen to wear Shaquille O'Neal's pants. However, Sony is nice enough to throw in a nice grey felt-material carrying case.

get the etys 6 or 4p if you can afford it

personally, I'm using a Senn HD-590 wif my Jukebox 3 while I'm outside

superb sound though they r very troublesome to bring tongue.gif

N@Z, glad you like the eggos. wait till word gets round head-fi how much they are here, then we'd have a sudden influx of members happy.gif fooklai, if you ask me, style+sound+reasonable portablity=Eggos D66 no question yes.gif

interesting point raised by N@Z, the pads on the Eggos look really small. I don't know how my largish ears fit in there, but amazingly, they did fine! laugh.gif

hm... very hard, it's a cross between style, sound, portability

I would really recommend a koss ksc-55. behind neckstyle from koss, nice song, same as ksc-35.

I would love to recommend you the mdr-v6, but I am not sure if they are stylo..

I think you would definately look better with ksc-55 on than any other phones...

unless you are willing to sacrifice the style , I can recommend you quite a few, like the eggos d66, mdr v6,beyer dt250-80(this one rocks for mp3!!).

Personally I have only heard the dt250-80. They cost ard 280. I was using it out of my iriver slimx headphone jack.. very nice, warm sound, punchy bass, smooth treble. Mp3 encoded at 128kbps doesn't show any harshness, all tamed.

Vocal rocks with this baby!!!!

What do you guys think about Koss KSC-50? All opinions are welcome smile.gif

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...e&s=electronics

Fook Lai

ksc-50 is quite good looking.. silver colour.. but many people said they don't sound as good as the older model.. ksc-35(I got ksc-35 though.. let me know if u r interested laugh.gif )

I personally like ksc-55 better... behind the neck.. I will probably get this smile.gif

Having said that, the koss ksc-50 is not too bad, they use the same driver as the porta pros, ksc35 and 55, so they sound pretty similar.

For portable, it's really hard to beat. Unless you want to consider full sized cans... then d66 eggo comes into play..

For me, I used to 'heck care' abt wearing full sized cans in public... hehe.. those were the days I was still using the beyer dt250-80.. very good can.. But now is diff already... I feel very paiseh to walk out using full sized cans.. you got the strange look.

So I would rather get something nice for portable, and if money is not an issue, get a full sized cans for home..

This way, you will still look good and still have good sound...

Hope you can find a can soon! headphone.gif

Currently shortlisted a few to compare before made decision.... I suppose mdr-v6, beyer dt250-80 and Beyerdynamic dt 231 is very good headphone but they are just too big for my purpose...

1) Sennheiser PX200 ($90) and 100

2) Sony Eggos D66 ($93)

3) Koss KSC-50

4) Koss KSC-55

5) Koss KSC-35

For best size, the Koss KSC-50/35 and Sennheiser PX200 fit the best. However, Sony Eggos D66 and Koss KSC-55 seems to have better review in term of sound..... Anyone got idea about the price of the Koss KSC-55 and 50? And where can I buy Koss KSC-55/50 and Sony Eggos D66?

Fook Lai

Edited by FookLai

Please check this sticky thread found on the main forum for prices of headphones in Singapore:

http://www.cryophilia.com/sgheadphones/ind...act=ST&f=2&t=60