Sign in to follow this  
seanie

Which one should I get?

Hmm... I guess I prefer a wider frequency range as I listen to classical and symphonic stuff, where I believe the range is quite important. Correct me if I'm wrong please, I'm still learning about these stuff.

If U wish to enjoy the full spectrum and scale of classical or any music by a full orchestra, judging a pair of cans by its freq response spec is as inaccurate as choosing a sports car by the wheels. For this kinda music, U should be more concerned about which design to choose ie, open-back, semi-open and close-back. The first design normally presents a bigger soundstaging but has the least isolation. The last design is conversely so. Ear buds do not present this aspect of music as well as some clip-ons and supraural/circumaural cans...........a mile of difference usually. Just don't base your decision on specs for it's a marketing ploy by manufacturers. Of course, there's accuracy to it but only in their test conditions; not general.

Edited by Mackie

Ear buds do not present this aspect of music as well as some clip-ons and supraural/circumaural cans...........a mile of difference usually

Im curious though, what are yer views on the Etymotics and Shures earbuds? These are considered the audiophile grade earbuds right?

Okay, I've narrowed down my choices to just three now.

Thinking of the Senn PX200, Sony Eggos D66 or Audio-Tech EM7.

Does Hung Brothers stock it? How much should I expect to pay for them?

Ear buds do not present this aspect of music as well as some clip-ons and supraural/circumaural cans...........a mile of difference usually

Im curious though, what are yer views on the Etymotics and Shures earbuds? These are considered the audiophile grade earbuds right?

I'm not disputing the fact that Etys and Shures in mentioned are not worthy of audiophiles or inferior sonically. Contrary to that, they are highly regarded by and so do I. As good as a product is, it can be limited by design, size and in the context of headphones, the medium of sound transmission ie, from ears to our brain. What's soundstage to speakers (room as medium) is headstage to cans (head as medium). Minus all the caveats and more so of the room, the former shows a greater potential for better musical presentation/enjoyment owing to the much larger medium.

Classical music on cds are usually live recordings and hence, a 3D soundstage presentation (height, width and depth) is critical to heightened enjoyment of the music. On this note, full size cans and better still, open-back designs will give U a greater sense of air and space for emulation of the aforementioned 3D soundstage. As I understand it, in-canal ear buds might not be ideal for this job (room for reverberation is limited and almost nil). Conversely, there are other issues like imaging and isolation which in-canal ear buds excel over clip-ons and even open-back cans.

Ultimately, I would choose my cans/ear buds based on the genre of music, design to strike a balance between isolation and sonic preference, partnering system and finally portability.

Edited by Mackie

Heee! I finally got myself a pair of Grados SR-80.

Actually decided on the px200, but after I heard the Grados, I jus couldn't resist it. Oh well.

Wait till you try out the yellow Senn HD414 comfort earpad mod!

Heee! I finally got myself a pair of Grados SR-80.

Actually decided on the px200, but after I heard the Grados, I jus couldn't resist it. Oh well.

Hi Seanie,

How much u got your Grado and where u bought it from ?

THanks

N@Z: You mean I can replace the earpads with those sennheiser ones you mentioned?

Ahtiu: Bought from Music By Design, $170 bucks.

Hey, those of you using this pair of headphones... how do you keep the loooooooooong wire out of the way? I mean, I'm already kind of short, so when walk around, the wires keep getting in the way of my legs..... add that to the length of the ipod remote... *shrugs*

any tips on that?

coil up the long cable(using the palm of your hand as a reel) to the required length, then use a couple of cable ties to secure it in place. tuck the coil into your bag(I'm assuming your ipod is in some kind of bag, and not in your pocket.

Edited by av98m

hmm...actually, did that.... but there's the ipod remote also. so if you can imagine.... it's hard to bundle them up without it looking weird... I suppose I COULD forgo the remote, but it would make it hard to turn off my ipod, since I have to fumble into my bag to do it.

If you have a problem with reaching into your bag to turn off the ipod, perhaps its best you get a pair of earbuds instead, and use the sr80s at home.

P.S. yes it will look weird, but its meant to be tucked into the bag where people can't see the coiled cable, I'm not suggesting you let the coil hang out of your bag.

Edited by av98m

hmm...actually, did that.... but there's the ipod remote also. so if you can imagine.... it's hard to bundle them up without it looking weird... I suppose I COULD forgo the remote, but it would make it hard to turn off my ipod, since I have to fumble into my bag to do it.

Hi Seanie,

so u use ur Grados outdoor too ?

solved the problem.

remote gone. coiled cable and tucked it into my bag.

ordered the RF remote from engineeredaudio.com, waiting for it to show up at my doorstep now.

patton: yup, i use them outdoors too. Don't really have a problem with that.