Sign in to follow this  
cmk

Which is the most detailed can?

Well that's just a Stereophile review. And for what that's worth (until we get to hear it for ourselves). Anyways to split hairs, I don't think I read it wrong as I do think he sill prefers the Cary-Senn combo:

"Back to the Cary/Sennheiser combo

I didn't get that level of reverb and wetness with even the tubed SRM-007t. There was either a small layer of detail missing, or the detail was buried in the noise floor, although both Stax amps were very quiet: the tubed 007t a little noisier with tube rush than the solid-state SRM-717, but by very little.

Listening to Kiri Te Kanawa sing the enchanting "Laudate Dominum" from Mozart's Exultate Jubilante (Philips 412 873-2) was so intimate, expressive, round, reaching, lovely. Damn, that's the way I prefer my headphone sound. There's something about that sexy, lit-from-within, triode-like sound that sets me afire, and I get more of it with my Cary/Sennheiser setup than with either Stax amp. "

The above excerp was extracted from Stereophile's website

So I think he feels that detail is missing or buried with the Stax and wetness - well I don't quite know what that means but maybe it means full-bodied? Also to me reberb is a subset of decay

hi guys - dont mean to be a wet blanket here but re:classical music i just spent some quality time with a 501 and a rega EAR and gosh - fantastic for classical. beats my etys (p) heads down.

501 will do that initially at least unless you're telling me that the REGA EAR provides the required oomph for things like timpany drums. Etys arnt know for bass either. It's thre just n6t in spades. I've always (well, since the last 6 months or so) said the bass in the 501 is akin to good 2 way speakers. While other cans like DT-880 or Grado RS-1 or even the Senn HD-600 are more like good 3 way speakers (just an comparison for easy understanding of what I'm trying to illustrate).

Strange, I thought I posted a reply, but it seems that it wasn't captured.

Rameish, J10 had a distinct bias towards single-ended triode amplification while he was writing for Stereophile, that's why he preferred the cary/senn combo.

FYI, the Stax will be available in 2 weeks.

Strange, I thought I posted a reply, but it seems that it wasn't captured.

Yah, I thought I posted somethin 2, saw it yesterday but was gone this morning.

Mystery? Some'tin wrong with the server or deleted by the moderator I wonder ?

The question again is which Staxs will b ETAing in 2 weeks? The OMEGAS ? biggrin.gif

The question again is which Staxs will b ETAing in 2 weeks? The OMEGAS ? biggrin.gif

The system 3030, 4040 and Omegas from what I've heard.

ETA 2 weeks hmmm...that's nice. Like I said that's just a Stereophile review. The mag hasn't been the same since Jon Atkinson took over. I has become like a unofficial catalogue for hi-fi equipment. So before there'a a discussion abt which is better I'be decided to try my ears out on these.

P3300299.JPG

Edited by Rameish

A nice close up of the S$8.5k Cary 300 sei :-) In case you guys are wondering no it aint mine - it's on loan.

P3300300.JPG

Edited by Rameish

OMG!!! user posted image

The price has gone up from +SG$7K last time I asked.

None of the Moderators (AFAIK) deleted anyone's post. Could be a glitch will check with ablaze.

Edited by N@Z

A nice close up of the S$8.5k Cary 300 sei :-) In case you guys are wondering no it aint mine - it's on loan.

You lucky devil smoke.gif

Barradio,

The Cary is no longer with me so I didn't get a chance to try it with the HD-650 very much. However the HD-600 with Zu Mobius cable and the Cary 300 sei was in a word very natural sounding. What do I mean by natural? Well, not neutral but very beliveable, although most recordings are made in a sudio the ultimate objective is to transport the listener into a music environment - be it a jazz bar, music hall etc. The Cary-Mobius-HD-600 did this very effortlessly as my brin didnt need to proceess the music and transport me. Are there amps that convey better dynamics and extention? Yes, the Zolt comes to mind. However the Zolt and the Corda Prehead will allow less of an extended session then the Cary IMO. That is you can enjoy music for a lober period with the Cary.

That's not to say the Cary is not capable of rez - in fact it surprised me by having the ability to deliver rez but in a way that is not fatiguing. Sibilance came out natually, it was almost as if the you could hear the saliva from the singer (yuch but I kid you not). Very lifelike presentation.

I purposefully threw tracks that didn't have much vocals at it and found that even the wide dynamic range of the piano couldn't upset it. Was this neutral? I don't know and if asked to hazard a guess I would say probably not. Did I belive there was a piano infront of me? Yes. The drums (Kodo) had a skin and wood quality to it with very fine resonances showing through. I just wished I had an SACD player to fully evaluate the rez dept.

Reluctantly I had to return the Cary. If you need to audition it I hook you up. Send me a PM or call.

Now if only I had S$8.5k to blow on a brand new Cary 300 sei LOL