Sign in to follow this  
cmk

When's the next meet?

Since the last one, which I found very interesting, there are new members and by the time we have one, probably some more new equipment to listen to.

Good question. I'll love to reacquaint myself with a BB amp, ZOLT & CARY 300SEi!!!

Someone will have to volunteer to organise the meet(find and book the location, collect money, keep track of attendance list... etc etc etc). The mods are not obligated to do it all the time. Anyone? whistling.giftongue.gif

Edited by av98m

Just to reclarify av98m's point above, any member can organise a meet if they are willing to take on the responsibility. They can ask for assistance here to spread the word, confirm attendance list, gear list etc, etc.

My advice for anyone willing to do it is:

1. Propose a date.

2. Propose a venue.

3. Itenary(?)

Everything will come together fom there onwards. We will pitch in help where possible.

Ya ya.. easy to say organise a meet, give advice, this and that. Everyone can say it. For the last meet some members couldn't even lift a finger to reply their name even given a month notice.

Edited by lengcm

I wish I could help out there, it's no biggie I do this sort of thing quite often in my work. Cmon guys it's not as hard as it sounds. It does takes is a little time & patience. Like I said I will help in any way possible.

I already offered for you guys to come here! Hehehe!

I think the main problem was to get the particulars of everybody before going into SP. If we can find another location without having to get the particulars, would that work out better?

Of course, it would be better to register those who are coming, so that there's no "additional 3rd parties" who are not supposed to be there.

Ditto. Feed and house me and I will fly to Brunei. lol.gif

Not to put words into lengcm's mouth, here's how I see it from my vantage point:

As far as organising meets go, true, its not a difficult thing to do. In theory, its quite simple. Ask who wants to come, when they're free, choose a date, and then a venue based on the number of people that say they are turning up, ensure there are sufficient power outlets for all the equipment, collate both the attendance list and equipment list, pray and hope that those that say they are going to show up don't fly aeroplane, work out how much money to collect per participant to pay for the venue, collect the said amount from the participants to pay for rental of venue, make up for the difference out of your own pocket if some do fly aeroplane....I think thats about it.

However, a few spanners inevitably get dumped into the gears. Examples are:

1. People waiting until the absolute last minute to say that they are coming (either the night before or the actual day itself).

2. People saying last minute they cannot make it(If the reason is acceptable like work or reservist or family related,ok, this one really cannot be helped. stuff happens)

3. People showing up who never bothered to declare their intent to come.

4. People too scared to give real name and IC number for some strange reason.(hiding from police, loan sharks, pregnant girlfriends?)

Etc Etc Etc. This really screws up your attendance list.

Going slightly off-topic, you also have funny things going on during meets, basically inconsiderate behaviour on the part of some. These include:

1. Not bothering to watch where you're moving your chair and rolling over other people's headphone and power cables. Don't think I need to elaborate any further.

2. Playing with other people's equipment. By play I do not mean use or audition, I mean flicking switches for no frikking reason or some other similar nonsense. I was alerted to one such individual who was playing with the toggle switch on one of my amps, which at the time was not powered up or connected to any source. This person was just turning the switch on and off for fun. I also noticed some were quite rough with the equipment at the meet. If you do not take care of other's property, do you think anyone will dare to bring their high-end gear to meets? I personally will not dare to bring my Xindak power distributor because I am scared to death people will play with the polarity switch.

It's really quite a pain, and you get neither money nor gratitude(except from a few) I can understand why one would not like to repeat the experience. Organising events at work is different, you get paid to do it and you can't afford to screw it up or say no.

I could go on ad nauseam but I'll stop here. Good luck to whoever is organising the next meet. tongue.giftongue.gif I'll help if my schedule permits.

Edited by av98m

I wish I could help out there, it's no biggie I do this sort of thing quite often in my work. Cmon guys it's not as hard as it sounds. It does takes is a little time & patience. Like I said I will help in any way possible.

I already offered for you guys to come here! Hehehe!

Yah I wish you were here as well, but you were not... sigh...

At least you are being paid to do this.

Thanks for the kind offer.

Organising events at work is different, you get paid to do it ....

Hahaha... you're kidding right, since when? That's not even my primary or even secondary job!

Anyway, I agree that it is a pain, I'd certainly expect all the hassles you've mentioned. It's never that easy or simple when you have to deal with so many variables. I still think it's a worthwhile thing to do, it's fun a good learning experience. If every one thinks negatively like that or no one takes the initiative then we'll never have meets organised. In fact kudos those those previously for sparing their free time (not to mention blood, sweat & tears!).

cmk, since you made the suggestion how about you taking on the task? I'm sure alot of us here are willing to assist you along the way. It doesn't necessarily have to be at the SPGG. Rather than labouring on the difficulties why don't we get the ball rolling by having a show of hands who would like to attend a meet & we work form there.

HPC & av98m: Feed? Cann... but not everyday. House? Maybe not free but how about, cheap digs ok with you? smoke.gif