Mackie

Interconnects - personal reviews

though it was priced at S$799 when i bought it 2 years ago ! Does it come with the subwoofer and aluminium stand, fish ? wink.gif

Tee,

I think they are $600+ now... box includes sub n sats, tiny lil stands for wall mounting and seperate cables thats it.

Stands are seperate probably very ex.

Didn't want to hijack the CDP Recommendation thread so I revive this thread concerning the interesting points made by Mackie about cable to plug connection. Crimping, soldering or Clamping. Mackie said crimping is better than both soldering as it introduces a new material in the connection & clamping since it introduces stresses.

My continuity to that is, if that is so why does the majority of manufacturers uses solder connections (for interconnects)? Is it because of better tolerances at the manufacturing stage? Not meant to question Mackie or anything, I just find it an interesting concept & need my curiosity to be fulfilled.

No worries Naz.

The reason I can think of is corrosion. Except for soldered cables, crimping and screwing methods of connection expose the bare wires to atmosphere and thus subject to corrosion. What would your reactions be if U were to buy a crimped cable off the shelve and find the wires tarnished and a soldered cable looking pretty with its shiny armour?

Nevertheless, it makes good business sense to consider the cosmetics of any product.

Edited by Mackie

Thanks Mackie. What about anybody else? Anything to add? What do you think.

I'm not sure how they did it for my Bullet plugs with DNMs as the RCA plug is filled up with silicone, I'm assuming to prevent corrosion. The Bullet plugs are connected to the DNMs by the shop that sold it.

Whitish transparent by the looks of it I can post a pic if you'd like to see.

Oxygen in silicone is very common and a good suggestion would be to bake it in a curing oven at about 150 deg C for about 2 hours. This should help to make the silicone release most of the gas. heehehe ...

I think they may have just sealed the opening only & not all the way in.

DSCF0001.jpg

nORTHERN oAK,

Cant do that with the DNM interconnects lah, all the plastic will melt blink.gif

n@z,

Looks like glue to me, should be alright.

Now that you mention it... it does look more like the consistency of the gun operated hot glue...

... yep confirmed glue, if silicone softer.

1 - dielectric.

2 - Magnetic Fields

3 - Connector

4 - Geometry & Topography

IMHO

1. I think you are on track bout the dielectrics, but I personally think that less is more for them. This is the reason vacuum is used in some top design. Most of the other materials will affect the mechanical & chemical properties of the conductors - even air whcih is also a conductor.

2. Shieldings do affect the signal a bit. Try the same design without one, with a open or closed shealth and you can tell the difference immediately. Cable without shields will usually be faster and more dynamic but subjected to much RF interference - I have notice that most digital ics and power supplies are heavily shealthed to keepout the RFs. If you shield too much it will slow down your music.

3. In this area, I guess purity of conductors and contacts are very significant. I personally like the Eichmann plugs very much - less is more - plastic + hollowed out hot connector acted like a dielecctric to reduce the RFs too.

4. Geometry & Topography - as you will know already, in Electric Engineering terms, if you pass a current thru any conducting cable, a magnetic flux / field will be generate in a clock wise direction along the direction of the current. The way you design or twist the cables, the number of twists, the no of cables in the twist, length of the cables, dielectrics and space between each cable do also affect the characteristics tremendously. Typically one of the reason for directional controls on some cable designs.

5. And yes lastly, the syngery with your system is the most important when looking at cables.