Sign in to follow this  
Techaddict

Hope to bring to everyone's attention!

Moderator- I'm not too sure if this shld be under this thread, but i think it's more applicable here, as the matter pertain to DIY matters. Anyway, you are free to move this shld the situation requires.

It happened just recently to me. Hope that any potential DIY'er can be aware of such person(s) presence and methods he uses in this site!

The story goes like this:-

I wanted to build a headamp desperatedly and posted some msg asking for help in buying the chip(a particular op-amp). Soon, a "kind-soul" (a forum regular) replied to me saying he can sell me a few ( his extra)at a cheaper than listed price, but it still expensive to me. Needless to say, i met him and pass him the money and happily, I went back thinking that this person must be very kind to sell me at a lost, to help me start my headamp project.

Later, i was disgusted to find out that he got the chips as samples free and sell them at a little lower price to me, making some quick profit and at same time winning my sincere gratitute. I should have suspected something judging from him happy expression. My subsequent emails (asking about DIY stuff) went unreplied, and totally ignored.

You know who you are, if you still have a conscience, stop doing all this thing. Hope i'm your last victim!

---------------------------------------

DIY'ing is a very enjoyable hobby!

My friend, welcome to the cruel world sleep.gif We just cannot stop people doing that... just forgive him and forget it happy.gif

Anyway is your amp done? Does it sound good? If it is, then you should be happy happy.gif

There's actually quite a few people doing that if I'm not wrong. Writing in for free samples to get expensive opamps and selling them.

Edited by av98m

Techaddict, thanks for pointing it out. YGPM.

Techaddict, if it is any consolation, the person cannot get chips free all the time. Samples sent out are limited in quantity and frequency. The chip company not stupid lah. But this person should not have sold the chips, it is in the agreement to get the samples. Like Bram said, don't let this spoil your day and outlook on this hobby.

this is quite sad... should report him to the company since its already stated in the agreement.

Is it legal to do that?? blink.gif

i heard some Chinese DIYers are doing that; it really shocks me that it happens in Singapore too, sad no.gif

Techaddict, if it is any consolation, the person cannot get chips free all the time. Samples sent out are limited in quantity and frequency. The chip company not stupid lah. But this person should not have sold the chips, it is in the agreement to get the samples. Like Bram said, don't let this spoil your day and outlook on this hobby.

Yeah, i agree with you. unless the person works in the Company that can get lots of free samples.. i guess dry.gif

That's why we shouldn't broadcast the sample program too frequently.. Too many people knows about it, it'll get abuse more often and one day good things will end.

Brings me to mind an incident at echoloft where some young chap abuses the RS component free delivery for some cheap resistor. Now we have to either more than $100 for free delivery, anything less have to pay $7.

one day good things will end.

The free sample from Analog Device already ended no.gif

Edited on 7 Oct 2004:

Sorry, my mistake, still possible but very limited wink.gif

Edited by bpribadi

Techaddict: Although I don't condone the seller's act and motive, think out of the box a bit and U won't feel so sore about the whole matter. What matters most is U got the parts at lower-than-retail prices and they are totally functional. Unless the seller had sold U lemons and as such deservedly thrashed by all in the community here, the seller only deserves contempt on morality grounds and not flagrant trading; a course only the sample issuing company can pursue against the seller.

I'm not taking sides and I happened to be duped before. The product of concern was a power amp and certainly cost more than a chip. On top of it all, it turned out to be older than said and a lemon too. Who can I blame but myself for not testing the set before purchase. Money world is an ugly world and U can only find appeasal by looking the other way sometimes.

Thanks for all your meaningful and constructive advices and insights.

The purpose of posting this is not so much of personal sulking over some unhappy events here at DIY thread. It serve more for newbies, or anyone just started out in DIY'ing. Hope that i'll be the last victim and hope that everyone be aware of such unethical methods.

I'm not upset about the fact of him selling me the samples(if he pointed out the fact that he got it as sample to sell me, i'll still buy from him as i'm very eager to build my amp), but I'm disgusted that he acted in "kindness" and offered me help in my questions initially, and pretended to selling me at a lost, in order to help me out in my headamp project.

Honestly speaking, compare to so many hobbies i hav, sadly, in audio, I encountered the most percentage of 'jokers', scammers, bossy , showoffs , barbaric characters, perticularly in a prominent local HiFi forum "E......t". You'll be flamed wickedly in conspiracies for any post.

But i really enjoy this forum and most people here for their help and civilized attitute.

Shake Head...

Edited by Techaddict

Ahh, this happen all the times. People gets greedy and pull the rest of the crew along.

For those guys who get free samples should mainly use those samples for eval and prototype purpose. Like what I got for the OPA2134 and OPA2132.

After you had done your what ever purposes, please buy and not get free samples again. Like what I did for the 25 pieces OPA2134. Too often free samples get abuse will end up tighter control or like AD, termination of such program.