Sign in to follow this  
papaya86

can lubricate my headphone tip with singer oil

isit advisable to lubricate my headphone tip/plug/metallic thing u insert into headphone jacks with singer oil, those use for sewing machine one, will improve connection rite, cause sometimes cant "eat" tio, but funny only on my mp3 player, plug into other sources no problem, and the player oso no problems with other headphones

Edited by papaya86

if it happens with your mp3 player only, then it should be your player problem. i had problems with my MD headphone out previously but fixed it by soldering it back.

adding oil may corrode some plastic parts on your headphone or your player. I haven't heard of anyone improving connections by adding oil to a normal plug yet.

Never ever had to lubricate my headphone jack nor socket.

i would advice against it...u might short something else and do more damage than good.

It's a no no no.gif

It will introduce resistance between the conductors. The best is to clean the contacts.

In power industry, there is special grease (conductive grease) for terminals to avoid corrosion, but it is only for power, not for audio. Singer oil is a no no.

ya you can try out the Goldpro or Progold !! ... very expensive !! but its like a lifetime useage !! laugh.gif

but i not too sure it will work or not .. happy.gif

try it at your own risK ! w00t.gif

but don't be stupid .. to use singer oil ( unless you are rich to afford a new player ...)i had never heard of singer oil can be use for such a purpose !! lol.gif

Edited by N3w_Typ3

I use progold on my headphone jacks, plugs, all connections. Its quite worth it in the long run, keeps everything nice clean and shiny(I'm a big believer in preventive maintainance).

The problem is intermittent connection which points to possible misfit of the cans male phono plug and the female phono plug of the MP3 player. The other suspect is a possible cold/dry joint of the phono connector of MP3 player. Oil is not a conductor/good conductor and introducing it to a eletrical contact points is simply unthinkable. The aim is to ensure cleanest electrical contact devoid of impurities; not introducing it.

Unless U're adventurous enough to prise open the MP3 player and check for the aforementioned defect, U might wanna consider buying a cheap 2 x female mini-plug > 1 x male mini-plug adapter to bypass the size misfit problem. If your cans have the larger 1/4" plug, buy the 1/4" > 1/8" mini-plug converter instead.

Last but not least, give the phono plug of your cans a twist upon connection to MP3 and U might locate a specific location for best/consistent connection.

Edited by Mackie

Stupid? Really? I've heard of Singer oil but I've never heard single oil before. wacko.gif

tried it liao, solved my problem, so far no side effects, thanks guys for ur comments, but funny thing, the headphones will only have this problem when used in my mp3 player, and my mp3 player has no problems with other headphones, its like some compatibaility problem

Good sick or bad sick? Yep I bought it new for SG$1.2K. Eyowtch! But it was well worth it. Added the sennHD414 comfy earpads. Believe it or not it works ok with portables unamped (but sound quality different story la...)