lengcm

X-Feed

By Wednesday, 4/6/03 coz any later I will not be around to receive the shipment from Mike.

Hi all, the last X-feed was shipped out this morning, which means any further order needs to go to Mike directly mcg@vipnet.co.uk. Sorry about that Evil-Zen.

Pinkfloyd,

About the capacitor upgrade of X-Cans V2, cause I'm in Singapore right now, it would be terribly inconvenient for me to get it upgraded,

would you be able to sell the entire capacitors package to me as well as a rough direction of what goes where, so I will do the soldering myself. Thanks.

N.Oaks,

If you're looking for Bi-polar E-caps, one good place to look for it is Koba @ 3rd storey People's Park Centre (joining OG via a bridge). Problem with bi-polar E-caps is they seldom have audiophile model. If you look hard, Koba might have the Nichicon brand.

If you're willing spend more money, try Larry's hifi, at the basement of the same building, for Blackgates bi-polar E-caps.. But they are very Ex.

just as pinkfloyed explained. I don't think there any increase in bass or even widening of soundstage. In fact the soundstage becomes narrower(in front of you instead of surrounding you). At least that's what I feel in my corda x-feed. Also, if any I notice the treble drops v slightly.

can't wait for me to compare the x-feeds in the x-feed and my amp laugh.gif

Mackie, how is the x-feed doing?

lengcm,

As yet, I'm still buring in the lil' fella.......I won't listen to anything that has yet to undergo a proper burn-in period. However, I did hook it up to my setup to ensure the X-feed works. I will let U know when I give it a good go this weekend. Lotsa toys to play with....X-feed, 770, 990.... kicking.gif

and the 880.

dont forget the 880. tongue.gif

i am actually quite curious as to why lengcm found that the bass became stronger after adding the x-feed.

from what i know about psychoacoustics, the unnatural uni-directional bass before the x-feed was added to the circuit should have sounded stronger. hrmm.

and just a weird thought - maybe someone (that means you mackie lol.gif ) could do an experiment and compare between adding the x-feed btw the amp and headphone and adding the x-feed btw the cdp and amp. tongue.gif

The X-feed is supposed to be connected between cdp and amp. It has no facility for connection after amplification. Hence, I can't obliged to your suggestion albeit it sounds interesting.

U're right about psychoacoustics. One can hear a lot more details with a lower noise floor, clean power supply, lower jitter errors etc. On this notion, different people will perceive the resultant sound differently. Sometimes, hearing more details are synomynous with brightness; deeper bass extension with leaner bass; warmth with colouring; treble extensions with digital edginess etc...... All subjective I must say. Your "Ally McBeal" is my "Schindlers' list" if U get what I mean (think thin bodies). yes.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by Mackie

hrmm oh well i see. was really curious as to how it would work out btw the headphone and amp.

or maybe i'll make a male 1/4" to twin rca and twin rcas to 1/4" female for fun in my spare time. cool.gif

i am actually quite curious as to why lengcm found that the bass became stronger after adding the x-feed.

from what i know about psychoacoustics, the unnatural uni-directional bass before the x-feed was added to the circuit should have sounded stronger. hrmm.

and just a weird thought - maybe someone (that means you mackie lol.gif ) could do an experiment and compare between adding the x-feed btw the amp and headphone and adding the x-feed btw the cdp and amp. tongue.gif

Maybe you could refer to Pinkfloyd explaination in the earlier post.

Hi Oakie, care to share with us your initial impression of the X-feed. As for me, the modded X-cans V2 + X-feed + DT880 is sonic bliss....

Oops ........ almost miss this post.

Okay, here's my first impression.

Instead of being a 180 deg wide, it has now narrowed down to 120 deg. However, it does extend the depth (this is highly audible if you first lower your noise floor to a minimum). Another thing to note is that instead of being airy and wide open, it give hints of the size of the recording venue.

Vocals instead of being stretched across from left to right, it now sounds more focus and coherent, with no missing vocal "gaps". I find that this is more apparent with a laid-back system setup as compared to a more forward sounding setup.

Layering and instrument positioning got better than before. In one of my track, I was able to hear the different rows of drums "thumping".

The crossfeed would benefit you much more if your current setup already has good sound separation, imaging and postioning. Else, you would be making things more difficult for your ears.