adhoc

organise an amp power buy?

N@Z,

The 7506 is a nice can, not much in soundstage and a bit bright (stock pads) for the money. You simply can't compare it. It's a bit like comparing a Grado SR-60 with either a Grado SR-225 or SR325. BTW the SR-60 is better than the 7560 but do note one is open and the other is closed and we do know the better sounding cans tend to be open (except for the Sony CD-3000 and R-10 (I believe)).

Pipee,

Exactly, that why I needed them and asked if you were interested to sell once you said you wanted them back LOL. They belong in the good headphone club but are jsut not my cuppa tea. I prefer the Beyer DT-880 over the Senn HD-600 and by the same token I lean towards Grados but I can see why people like the Beyer DT-880. As for the Senn as a sales tool - ya it's fantastic. Tee for instance initially wanted to buy a Senn HD-600 after coming over to my place he ended up buying both a Grado RS-2 and Beyer DT-880.

I think if the DT-880 were around when you bought the HD-600 and you were given a chance to compare (not like the old days) then I'll put my money on the DT-880 so to speak. At the price they are a difficult act to follow.

I don't know about the Senn HD-650 but Jan has yet to sell it. So since I had to give back my No.1 selling tool, I jsut had to get one. Of course I had one instance of a guy who prefered the HD-600 over any Grado or Beyer.

In the end, the fine nuances are an individual thing - or at least that's what I'm coming to understand.

Ha ha I personally think that 1 or 2 audition is not enough to judge the Senn HD600 or any headphones for that matter. You have to live with it. I did and you did and we both know what our preferences are. At least that's cool. The first time I got the Senn HD600, I wondered why in the world I got it when the Grado SR80 was so much better. However after living with both for a while and listening to them hours at a stretch (and got my ears into serious trouble) there was no comparison. The Senn was way way better. I know some people will strongly disagree but "electrostatic" is one of the words that I would describe the Senn. It is not something which will "wow" you the first time you hear it but it will draw you in and once you feel the love there is no turning back. The Grados sound cheap after that. Even after so long not hearing any headphones I still have very fond memories when I had it paired to the Sugden Headmaster and nOrh CD1 tube cd player. Damn, if my ears hadn't gave me trouble back then I would have stayed with that combo for a very long time. I had found my nirvana.

But now it's over.

If I were to hear the Senns again now I would most probably agree with most of you and would have bought some other headphones. If I were starting I would most probably have bought the Grados too after comparing it with the Senn. But I had the fortune back then (or is that misfortune?) to have bought the Senn HD600 sight unseen with no audition and was forced to actually live with it. Little did I know what awaits.

Like Yoda said, you sometimes have to unlearn what you have learn. I think it's a bit like Stax or electrostatic speakers. It's not something you will immediately enjoy but something you grow into (of course some never do) and once you get "it", it never lets you go.

Sorry for the long post. Getting a bit nostalgic. blush.gif

Edited by pipee

Great insight. We both have the same opinions about the SR80 & HD600. SR80 has a good wow factor initially, over longer stretches it becomes tiring. Although it was better partnered with a TAH amp (rolled off treble).

Damn, if my ears hadn't gave me trouble back then I would have stayed with that combo for a very long time. I had found my nirvana.

But now it's over.

OT a bit, what happened pipee? Has the Senn HD600 fallen out of favour all of a sudden?

Mackie,

The Senn never fell out of favour. It's more like I stopped listening to any headphones for the past 1 year due to the ear condition that I had. I figured that my ears are more precious than any headphones. Now it's OK but I'm not taking any chances.

Was it tinnitus?

Pipee,

Okay, granted the SR-80 doesn't have what I call legato. But I was refering to a similarly priced cans ie: Beyer DT-880, Senn-HD-600 and either the Grado SR-225 (cheaper) or Grado SR-325 (a bit more). Anyways I'll bring the Grado-SR225 and SR-325 to your place at the 1st SG Headphone Meet. Then you can decide for yourself (you may still prefer the Senn HD-600).

Rameish,

Like I said if I were to listen to other headphones now I would most probably like them better. Always wanted to try the Grado SR-325. Good to know that you are bringing it over. However all Grados including the RS1 has the familiar family sound which is forward. I guess I just prefer to be a few rows in front of the performers. Not on the same stage.

N@Z,

Yes, it's tinnitus.

But, the studio recording is really quite near. There is a glass wall behind which the recording engineer sits. As for live recordings, agree that the middle rows are better for Classical. But then you come to chamber music or rock or blues or jazz. Different stokes for different folks. BTW would you like to buy the HD-650 when it comes out?

Well it depends on how much improvements it give over the HD600. Last but not least the price. Rameish, any ideas or comments on the probable improvements ?

Edited by lengcm

What is tinnitus? Is it curable?

I once had a brief inflammation in my more sensitive left ear and everthing I hear seems to be lop-sided. Scary man.

I am curious on to how it will sound like too..

but based on hearsay, the hd650 is just gonna be a step up improvement from hd600, meaning they are just gonna refine the hd600 and sell it as hd650.

Today someone came to my house to pick up the creek. I heard his hd600. I don't know about the veil. But I think it refers to the same thing as 'laid back'.. I don't know it's like I am quite far from the singer, compared to the grados or even the 880.

It can be quite irritating, especially if you are so used to the other cans. The change is like what some say 'veiled' lol.. now I can fully understand why.

I think my ears have improved over the past few months. Last year, I couldn't heard much difference betw 770 and hd600.

The word veil is misleading but laid back or a more distant presentation of certain aspects of the music is more appropriate as Guy mentioned. Different folks different strokes, sometimes I like it sometimes I don't hence variety of headphones. Good excuse no?

Not an exact description but tinnitus basically is the constant ringing in the ears due to exposure to very loud sound or prolonged exposure to loud sound/music. Depending on severity it may or may not be curable.

Naz, thanks for the explanation. Now I understand your fear, pipee.

I don't think HD600 is laid back but I suspect the warmth of HD600's mid-band has a masking effect on the higher spectrum and thus, resulting in a veiled sound. It's similar to a colour TV with the chroma adjusted too high ie, adjacent colours on a test pattern will be affected by the bloomy red.

But, the studio recording is really quite near. There is a glass wall behind which the recording engineer sits. As for live recordings, agree that the middle rows are better for Classical. But then you come to chamber music or rock or blues or jazz. Different stokes for different folks. BTW would you like to buy the HD-650 when it comes out?

Depends. If it is noticeably better than the HD600, sure why not. Shouldn't have sold the Sugden but on hindsight I thought it was for the best because the temptation would have been too great. Now that my ears are OK, I am more interested in getting a headphone amp. Let me know when the Corda HA-1 MKII arrives. I'm very interested to hear that one. If it is anything like the PreHead, oh man...