Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

The mini D70 users thread

I really like the shots from that Tamron lens.

I really like the shots from that Tamron lens.

the Tamron lens may be a better match for the D70 then the Sigma, but i like the Sigma's F/1.8 feature which allow me to shoot in poor light indoor conditions, the F/2.8 on the Tamron does not remain at 2.8 when u do Macro focus, it moves like a zoom lens extending another full length of the lens body and the lowest F-stop u can get is F/5.6

also heard from a reliable source that Nikon is going to release a new D70 body next month, according to the source, this new body will hav the "s" like D2Hs, has the same specs as the original D70 (same CCD) he suspect that this new body will hav the battery holder/portrait grip option.

this is the guy u see behind the counter at Nikon road shows and the recent IT fair, he's also in contact with Nikon technicians.

Edited by tropicalrips

Hey... if you're not happy with it, I'll gladly take it off your hands!

Hey... if you're not happy with it, I'll gladly take it off your hands!

tongue.gif birthday gift for your son?

u need the 300mm VR N@Z...don't need another D70 tongue.gif i'm keeping my D70 with or without the "s" laugh.gif

going to try and get some test shots with the 200-500mm Tamron with the D70 to see how good that lens is smile.gif

another good "walkabout" or travel lens would be the AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) from Tamron, want to try out this lens as well at the shop

Edited by tropicalrips

I think the grip is to differentiate between the lower end market of their dslr and the the higher end like d100,d2h,etc. Someone once emailed to nikon about this. That's why I don't think they're releasing the d70 anytime with a grip... spoil their market segregation of the lower and middle to higher end dslrs(ie d100,d2h/s d2x). But let's wait.. hopefully if it's made available the current crop of d70 users can use the grip too/..

Out of curiosity, does TTL functions when using 3rd party lenses? Have you tried using your speedlight with the Sigma & Tamron lenses?

yes smile.gif the TTL still works, the water wheel shot was taken with flash

Made myself a DIY diffuser dome for my Speedlight SB800 that won't get affected by the 'limiter' switch when using the supplied dome:

user posted image

Started with a 4"x8" piece of white cotton cloth:

user posted image

I actually wanted to just use a rubber band to secure it on the flash head but since I couldn't find one at the time I temporarily used a gaffer tape to hold it in place:

user posted image

The extra bit of fabric which extends to the back can be folded over the flash head to increase the thickness of the material to diffuse the light even further if so required.

A few test shots to follow...

Test shots of the Speedlight firing directly forward using Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D

(No post processing done except for resizing in PS CS)

Without DIY Diffuser:

user posted image user posted image user posted image

With DIY diffuser:

user posted image user posted image user posted image

1st shot (~1 meter distance) - The one with the diffuser gives a less harsh/harder looking light.

2nd shot (~2m distance) - The one with diffuser produces a nicer/richer & natural skin tone. Exposure also not typically under exposed.

3rd shot (~5m distance) - Not as obvious but there is a discernable difference. Colour looks slightly richer with the diffuser (see the red file folder on the left)

I'll keep this piece of cloth handy in my camera bag for situations when I can't bounce the speedlight.

I happen to be in possession of 2 pdf manuals of nikon's 2 unreleased upcoming dslr models.

Anybody wanna see?