Sign in to follow this  
av98m

Quick comment on Grado flatpads from Todd

I finally got hold of 2 pairs of the Grado flatpads from Todd the Vinyl Junkie, thanks to Scriberx. At 30usd per pair, these are far from cheap, and quite frankly seem horrendously priced. Sennheiser flatpads would have been much cheaper. However, the RS-1s look terrible with yellow pads(I've tried, but as always, YMMV) and I'm pretty useless with dye, so I bit the bullet.

My comments on the flatpads:

Pros:

1. Look pretty nice

2. Black in color

3. Much more comfortable than the bowlpads(duh)

4. The RS-1s sound better with the flats, there is better bass and weight to the music. This is most likely due to the fact that the drivers are closer to your ears, when you use the flats. That and music always sounds better when your ears are not hurting.

Cons:

1. The price! Gawd!

post-2-1109298421.jpg

You can see better the slits cut into the pads in this pic. BTW, these flats that Todd sells are actually exact copies of the original Grado flatpads, with permission from Grado.

post-2-1109298952.jpg

spending US$35-40 for just a pair of foams that's equivalent to SG$62+++

wot a waste of money

i only pay SG$45 not quite a long time ago

now that's value for money

wot a waste of money

I think it would be much rather constructive to post on how u got that price rather than simply stating that it was a waste of money. It just comes off to me, as nasty. Other people may not know of any other cheaper ways to get it and as such.. that was the cheapest option at that time. Different strokes for different folks.

Just my 2cents.

That's all right. This guy is a sock puppet for someone that got flamed last year for trying to charge $13.50 to cut 2 holes. tongue.gif

Ordering in larger quantities and spreading out the shipping charges with other people help keep the price down. (which is what I did)

Edited by av98m

I don't think we need more inflammatory remarks here. And I believe something's worth cannot be judged merely by it's material/cost price. If that's your drift, then paying $45 for a pair of foams isn't that much better... innocent.gif

Edited by Absolute0

wot a waste of money

Spending time to post a lame reply to get attention

What a waste of intellect....(or prehaps the lack of it ?)

Posting a reply to get flame by everyone here....

now that's pure entertaiment... dry.gif

This thread is quite funny!!! Very reminicent of the "$13.50 to cut 2 holes" saga!

Anyway, ght's maths is a bit off. Based on current exchange rates, Av98m's flat pads cost S$50 per pair, plus about S$2 for postage per pair after sharing postage.

Still not cheap compared to the S$7 Senn yellow pads (or even the "$13.50 to cut two holes" variety), but for some of us, its because our Grados are worth it! (to borrow the tag line from L'Oreal shampoo ad). biggrin.gif Not to mention our ears feel great and are less likely to be accidentally stained with black dye.

Finally, for the uninitiated, good manners suggest that one could sometimes offer frank/practical/kangtow advice to someone before he/she makes a purchase, but otherwise, one should always refrain from criticising the purchase after it has taken place as 1) the buyer might then feel less than previously satisfied with his purchase, and 2) such remarks may sometimes appear inflamatory and begat the appropriate response.

By the way, although no less relevant when applied to others, the above advice is exponentially beneficial when applied in relation to purchases by girlfriend/spouse/lady boss/in-laws/etc. innocent.gif

Edited by Scriberex

Lets move on...

I do apologise if I offend anyone here in regards to my previous post,

I bought the flat pad from an american guy in headfi forum during the MO

my comments are just the way I speak everyday in the office with my colleagues

This is a freedom of speech

shame shame shame

no flaming intended at the first place

Edited by ght

den chances are your colleagues are pissed off with u

lol.gif sorry, couldn't resist it. Good one.